The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Accommodation

What is the best student halls ?
Reply 1
It technically depends on which course you're doing, the distances you're willing to travel to get to your lecture, your price limit and personally what type of room you would like.
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 2
Ultimately I really don't think it matters, halls are halls & you'll have a similar experience where ever you are. Flatmates are so variable too; whilst one flat may have a family feel, another flat in the same hall may be completely different & closed doors etc. It's luck of the draw really.
However, having said all that, there are SLIGHT differences between the halls:

Cheney:
My halls :smile: Cheney is good if you're a last minuet person; the place where you hand in your essays is 2 mins away - 1 of the biggest pros I've heard from everybody who lives here.
You're right next to the Sports Bar which is nice to chill at. Also the gym, climbing wall & astro turf. Which is nice, especially in your first semester if you do sports - you can invite people up to your room easily & extra handy for your friends who live in crescent & need a place to crash for a few minuets due to their bus times.
You're super close to uni - again, lazimans heaven! Close(er) to Cowley Road (good bars).
Downsides: it's stupidly expensive & doesn't even have wifi! It doesn't have a living area with sofas - maybe 3 flats out of a 100 do?
People who don't go to cheney have such a stick up their arse about cheney people being posh & whilst I have never met a dismissing Cheney person (maybe this is because I am cheney of course) I HAVE met people from Clive Booth who have been rude because I live in Cheney. Hence our reputations: Chateau Cheney & Chav Booth.
To instil reputations & sterotypes further...If you like eating smoked salmon & proper evening meals with REAL food, then Cheney is probably best haha - you won't be made fun of - more likely queried where the half price smoked salmon is! Again though, whilst I mention this 'rivalry' with Booth - it's still only light hearted & nothing really to hinder you staying in either.

Clive Booth: A few of my friends live here, so I visit a lot. Seems to be more 'family' like. They have a living area, well, sofas in the kitchen - so it's waaaayyy comfier for pre-drinks & parties - also bigger. It's slightly cheeper than Cheney & you have wifi! You're a little further away from uni, but only just. I think I'd go to Clive Booth en-suite if I had my time again.

Crescent: soooooo far away so you can't leave essays last min. Good buses though so not the end of the world. Living area, seems a bit homier... Cheap! You can't eat avocado's without a comment ha (friends experience). I've met really lovely people from crescent.

Dorset House: expensive. You're living in luxury here - it is SO dam nice!! I have no idea what it's like living here as i've only visited once - again, people are nice.

I've never met or been to the other halls.

I think you're best to just decided on what you can realistically afford. Maybe take into account how you currently live (my salmon reference haha) but ultimately I don't think it really matters. Have a nice time at Brookes :smile:
Reply 3
Ultimately I really don't think it matters, halls are halls & you'll have a similar experience where ever you are. Flatmates are so variable too; whilst one flat may have a family feel, another flat in the same hall may be completely different & closed doors etc. It's luck of the draw really.
However, having said all that, there are SLIGHT differences between the halls:

Cheney:
My halls :smile: Cheney is good if you're a last minuet person; the place where you hand in your essays is 2 mins away - 1 of the biggest pros I've heard from everybody who lives here.
You're right next to the Sports Bar which is nice to chill at. Also the gym, climbing wall & astro turf. Which is nice, especially in your first semester if you do sports - you can invite people up to your room easily & extra handy for your friends who live in crescent & need a place to crash for a few minuets due to their bus times.
You're super close to uni - again, lazimans heaven! Close(er) to Cowley Road (good bars).
Downsides: it's stupidly expensive & doesn't even have wifi! It doesn't have a living area with sofas - maybe 3 flats out of a 100 do?
People who don't go to cheney have such a stick up their arse about cheney people being posh & whilst I have never met a dismissing Cheney person (maybe this is because I am cheney of course) I HAVE met people from Clive Booth who have been rude because I live in Cheney. Hence our reputations: Chateau Cheney & Chav Booth.
To instil reputations & sterotypes further...If you like eating smoked salmon & proper evening meals with REAL food, then Cheney is probably best haha - you won't be made fun of - more likely queried where the half price smoked salmon is! Again though, whilst I mention this 'rivalry' with Booth - it's still only light hearted & nothing really to hinder you staying in either.

Clive Booth: A few of my friends live here, so I visit a lot. Seems to be more 'family' like. They have a living area, well, sofas in the kitchen - so it's waaaayyy comfier for pre-drinks & parties - also bigger. It's slightly cheeper than Cheney & you have wifi! You're a little further away from uni, but only just. I think I'd go to Clive Booth en-suite if I had my time again.

Crescent: soooooo far away so you can't leave essays last min. Good buses though so not the end of the world. Living area, seems a bit homier... Cheap! You can't eat avocado's without a comment ha (friends experience). I've met really lovely people from crescent.

Dorset House: expensive. You're living in luxury here - it is SO dam nice!! I have no idea what it's like living here as i've only visited once - again, people are nice.

I've never met or been to the other halls.

I think you're best to just decided on what you can realistically afford. Maybe take into account how you currently live (my salmon reference haha) but ultimately I don't think it really matters. Have a nice time at Brookes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending