Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Is a problem for only 1% of the time still a problem? Watch

It sounds obvious when I read this back - yes. But hear me out on this...

For as long as I can remember I've had problems that I've written off; I tend to get really bad migraines, feel dizzy, miss things that people say, do things and don't remember them afterwards. I just thought I was tired, but then I realised (and this is something that seems ridiculous) that not everybody sees and hears things that aren't there.

I have therefore been hallucinating (visually and audially) for the best part of 10 years. Only one other person knows about it, and quite frankly he's an ******** who doesn't really think I should worry about it, I'm just weird. The thing is this only happens about once a week for about 2-3 hours at a time, so I've never seen the need to get it checked or anything because I rarely remember the details of what happens, only from what I've said to the other person when in a state (how he found out, funnily enough). I'm colourblind and have a benign tumour in my left eye, does that mean anything? I'm not a sciencey person, so I have no freaking clue what to do at all, it seems simple to me until I try to explain it.

Is it really worth checking this out if it doesn't have any long term effects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It sounds obvious when I read this back - yes. But hear me out on this...

For as long as I can remember I've had problems that I've written off; I tend to get really bad migraines, feel dizzy, miss things that people say, do things and don't remember them afterwards. I just thought I was tired, but then I realised (and this is something that seems ridiculous) that not everybody sees and hears things that aren't there.

I have therefore been hallucinating (visually and audially) for the best part of 10 years. Only one other person knows about it, and quite frankly he's an ******** who doesn't really think I should worry about it, I'm just weird. The thing is this only happens about once a week for about 2-3 hours at a time, so I've never seen the need to get it checked or anything because I rarely remember the details of what happens, only from what I've said to the other person when in a state (how he found out, funnily enough). I'm colourblind and have a benign tumour in my left eye, does that mean anything? I'm not a sciencey person, so I have no freaking clue what to do at all, it seems simple to me until I try to explain it.

Is it really worth checking this out if it doesn't have any long term effects?
    yes you should get it checked out, having hallucinations doesn't have to be a serious thing, however with your other symptoms you should talk to someone in case you have a physical condition which is causing this, for example another tumour

ReputationRep:
    Yes. But a problem you can overlook.

ReputationRep:
    If I had a tumour already, benign or not, I would not be ignoring symptoms like this (in fact, I probably wouldn't anyway).

ReputationRep:
    You could have a brain tumour.... mind you I got that from a TV show (Bones) where one of the characters had symptoms like you so take that with a pinch of salt. I would get it checked out as quickly as possible anyway...

ReputationRep:
    It can't hurt to see a doctor.

At best it is nothing and at worst you'll be able to get any treatment you need for the problem (if it is a problem).

Thanks for the advice guys and gals, I guess that it makes sense not to risk it for the sake of what might go wrong if it's nothing. At least the posts weren't "what's the problem? Everyone has these moments" like I semi-expected. Thanks again!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.