Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Just don't know what to do.... Watch

I am in a pickly situation and I just have no idea what to do, some advice would be really appreciated.

First of all I have severe asthma, and I also have depression and anxiety.

So boyfriend and I are currently living with his Dad, in a 3 bed house, due to our landlord raising our rent so much that we had no choice but to leave 30 days later. Prior to moving in his Dad said he would stop smoking as he knows I'm asthmatic. This was a bit thing for us, and really was the topping point to deciding to move in with him. We pay him £500 in rent, and then another £100 contribution for food (we would only spend £100 for the 2 of us when we were in our flat).

Basically, his Dad is a big fat pain in the bum. I absolutely hate it here. He smokes all the time, despite saying TWICE, that he wouldn't. He also drinks everyday, and eats a LOT of kebabs. He works part time, a few mornings (till 11am) per week. So he said he would cook the most, as boyfriend is full time employment, and I study and work.

Some days it gets to dinner time (630pm) on his days to cook, and he hasn't cooked anything so goes and gets a kebab with OUR money, then leaves us having to go out and buy food for ourselves to cook. It's ridiculous.

We have no savings, as we have some debts so have been putting al our money on them. Next month we'll have about £700 - £800 saved to move, but this isn't enough, we need double this.

I've been in hospital twice since living here, due to his smoking. Boyfriend has a word with him a few weeks ago. His Dad said, again, that he'd stop smoking, and cut down on the drinking, and eat less kebab etc - but he hasn't the next day he just goes back to his old ways.

I literally can't take it anymore, and I'm stuck.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to reinforce your position and have a talk with your boyfriend to see what he can do. Obviously this is a weird situation because without doing this, you don't wanna be the 'it's me or him' girlfriend. But obviously, it's gotten to that point where it needs to be - especially when you have been hospitalised twice in one week!

Could the dad not smoke when you are in the same room. Or is there any particular reason why he can't have a smoke outside? Or is he a serious smoker who just smokes one cig after another, after another?

I personally don't think it's a good idea to be around such a living health hazard. I would suggest and looking at other places to stay. Or encourage his dad to really try and give up smoking, or at least use an electric one instead?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.