The Student Room Group

Britain's youngest parents

Scroll to see replies

Humanity...losing...faith...
Heart...failing...
Whenever I hear hear a story like this, the parents always seem like such pushovers, the dad of the 12 year old girl having this "what's done is done" attitude and saying he will support them. Mine would have gone nuts on me :laugh: :facepalm2:
Original post by Ripper-Roo
But it can still be done and I don't think anyone would truly want their child to be put up with adoption when it can be avoided. Parents shouldn't be that short sighted.

No, but, then again, they shouldn't be twelve years old, either.

Baby's a child, not a burden. It could be like raising a child for the grandparents until the teenagers are old enough to support it. Whilst it's inconvenient, hardly a disaster as long as the parents are supportive.

It's brave because it's not giving up and facing up to the reality of the situation. At such a young age where there are big responsibilities now.

A child can be a burden. I'm not saying the parents shouldn't support their children. My point is that there aren't any big responsibilities because they're children. They won't actually be taking on any responsibilities (if their parents are to any degree responsible, that is, though I suppose the fact that their kids are parents at that age probably suggests otherwise).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by clh_hilary
The age of consent? But then of course only the boy would get arrested for having had sex with the girl.

I mean a real law not one of those pretend laws like the age of consent and underage drinking. Anyway, isn't the boy too young to be prosecuted for such things?

Any child born to someone under the age of consent should be automatically put into care.
Original post by yo radical one
Whenever I hear hear a story like this, the parents always seem like such pushovers, the dad of the 12 year old girl having this "what's done is done" attitude and saying he will support them. Mine would have gone nuts on me :laugh: :facepalm2:

I get that, but you can surely only be angry for so long? As a parent you surely have a pretty simple choice; accept that your child made a mistake and get on with your life, or throw a massive tantrum and have them hate you for the rest of your life.

I don't have children but I'm pretty sure I know which option I'd pick.
Original post by mojojojo101
I get that, but you can surely only be angry for so long? As a parent you surely have a pretty simple choice; accept that your child made a mistake and get on with your life, or throw a massive tantrum and have them hate you for the rest of your life.

I don't have children but I'm pretty sure I know which option I'd pick.

Yeah but the selfish decisions that guys daughter made, could not just screw her over, but her parents too, they will obviously raise the child more than the "parents" so their lives have been ruined by it too.
Reply 46
Can't say that article shocked me much tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Again my faith in humanity is gone.

My sisters that age and I don't even think she's had any Sex Ed yet, yet alone know how sex works
At age 12-13 my days after school consisted of playing on the PS2-PS3 and studying, not getting girls pregnant :|
Disgusting.
Reply 49
Too young and too much responsibility at that age. Not saying they can't be good parents, but why would you want to sign your life over so soon?

Good luck to them though

The sooner it begins, the sooner it's over perhaps? :smile:

FTR, I don't condone parenthood at such a young age, but given that it's happened, as the girl's father said, all you can do is support them as best you can.
Original post by Genocidal
I mean a real law not one of those pretend laws like the age of consent and underage drinking. Anyway, isn't the boy too young to be prosecuted for such things?

Any child born to someone under the age of consent should be automatically put into care.

No. I think the cut-off is at 12 for that.
Reply 51
Terrible parents. And I'm not just talking about those stupid kids.
Reply 52
Now there's a life ruined.
Reply 53
You talk about abortion; the girl was 8 months pregnant when the parents found out. You can't have an abortion 1 month before you're about to give birth. I'm not against abortion anything, but it can't happen so late.

And, you talk about neglecting your kids if they did that, but her parents have to help her otherwise the girl will struggle and they will be seen as bad parents. And the Father says that he is proud about her. I know that an 11 year old getting pregnant isn't good whatsoever, but you have to sort of admire that she went through a full pregnancy (I'm not supporting young pregnancy btw). She has gone through everything and her dad can't say 'I'm ashamed in you' as a parent, you have to support your kids, no matter what.

Nevertheless, I am still extremely shocked and I don't think this is good at all! :smile:
I think it's awful. They're barely old enough to look after themselves, let alone anyone else.
I wasn't even looking at guys in primary school :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
At that age, yes I think it's brave. They must have been really scared. Most teenagers are persuaded into abortions or adoptions I'd assume.

Oh dear, no, it isn't brave at all.
I don't know, I feel like pregnant teens shouldn't be told they are brave for having a child. For god's sake, they probably don't even do anything for themselves at that age! It's not brave, it's a complete farce.
Having an abortion is so demonised, and it shouldn't be. That's probably a reason why she chose to keep the baby - why choose to be demonised when you can choose to be admired for your 'bravery'? And why should someone be forced into adoption? Like adoption centres and orphanages aren't already brimming with babies and children.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yo radical one
Yeah but the selfish decisions that guys daughter made, could not just screw her over, but her parents too, they will obviously raise the child more than the "parents" so their lives have been ruined by it too.

Surely no more ruined than it would have been by them having another child of their own?

My point remains though, you either realise that what's done is done and deal with it as a family, or engineer an environment of resentment and hatred that really could ruin 3 generations lives.
Reply 57
Original post by lucybuckleyy
Oh dear, no, it isn't brave at all.
I don't know, I feel like pregnant teens shouldn't be told they are brave for having a child. For god's sake, they probably don't even do anything for themselves at that age! It's not brave, it's a complete farce.
Having an abortion is so demonised, and it shouldn't be. That's probably a reason why she chose to keep the baby - why choose to be demonised when you can choose to be admired for your 'bravery'? And why should someone be forced into adoption? Like adoption centres and orphanages aren't already brimming with babies and children.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You hit the nail on the head there Lucy, foolish could be a possible replacement? :colondollar:
My question is, how the hell didn't the parents see that their daughter suddenly has a massive growing belly?!
Original post by Wildx
You hit the nail on the head there Lucy, foolish could be a possible replacement? :colondollar:

Or perhaps brainwashed into thinking they are doing the right thing! Because abortion is soooo evil, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest