Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I'll try and make this as short as possible.
    Ok so around 4 years ago I met this guy at my sisters wedding, at the time I was just 14 years old and he was 18. We got talking and became really good friends over the years. Around 2 years later I came to realisation that I had fallen for him really hard and I had to tell him, he told me that the age gap (4years) was too much for him and he said we could wait till I finished high school. I was happy to wait but a year later he got into a relationship with a girl he met at work and now they're getting married. We stopped talking daily a year and a half ago and Im now turning 18 and I'm still not over him, I feel sick to the stomach every time I think of him and I don't think I'll ever find a love like him again, is it wrong of me to still be crazy about him when he's getting married this august we still talk from time to time and every time i talk to him I feel like it's just me and him in the world, will I ever get over him? Should I tell him how I feel?

ReputationRep:
    Others would say it was selfish but I would tell him how you feel. That way you know you won't have any regrets later on in life. I understand your love for him. If it doesn't work out then you will be somebody else's gain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel83)
    Others would say it was selfish but I would tell him how you feel. That way you know you won't have any regrets later on in life. I understand your love for him. If it doesn't work out then you will be somebody else's gain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know if I would gain anything from telling him, would we lose the friendship we still have? I'm thinking of just cutting him off but I'm crazy about him

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I liked the same guy for about 4 years, even though I hadn't seen him in person for about 2 years. I told him a while ago that I liked him, because then I would know whether he felt the same or not. I think telling him how you feel would be a good idea, because you will know where you stand and you might regret not saying anything later on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'll try and make this as short as possible.
    Ok so around 4 years ago I met this guy at my sisters wedding, at the time I was just 14 years old and he was 18. We got talking and became really good friends over the years. Around 2 years later I came to realisation that I had fallen for him really hard and I had to tell him, he told me that the age gap (4years) was too much for him and he said we could wait till I finished high school. I was happy to wait but a year later he got into a relationship with a girl he met at work and now they're getting married. We stopped talking daily a year and a half ago and Im now turning 18 and I'm still not over him, I feel sick to the stomach every time I think of him and I don't think I'll ever find a love like him again, is it wrong of me to still be crazy about him when he's getting married this august we still talk from time to time and every time i talk to him I feel like it's just me and him in the world, will I ever get over him? Should I tell him how I feel?
    I feel a bit for you. He was older and you were very young initially so any move he would make would play with your feelings. He said he could wait for you which must of been great and ends up getting engaged. It's not fair on you and he has gone about it a bit of a player

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by everything1177)
    I liked the same guy for about 4 years, even though I hadn't seen him in person for about 2 years. I told him a while ago that I liked him, because then I would know whether he felt the same or not. I think telling him how you feel would be a good idea, because you will know where you stand and you might regret not saying anything later on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks so much for your advice but do you think it would put a strain on our friendship, would he stop talking to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    No.
    Why not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MASTER265)
    I feel a bit for you. He was older and you were very young initially so any move he would make would play with your feelings. He said he could wait for you which must of been great and ends up getting engaged. It's not fair on you and he has gone about it a bit of a player
    Exactly. I don't know where I stand with him and I can't get over him I hate it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's different for different people. For me he did stop talking to me, but I think it just depends on the person. If he lets this affect your friendship, then that says a lot about the kind of person he is. If he cares about you enough, I feel like he shouldn't let this affect what you have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noname33)
    Thanks so much for your advice but do you think it would put a strain on our friendship, would he stop talking to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's different for different people. For me he did stop talking to me, but I think it just depends on the person. If he lets this affect your friendship, then that says a lot about the kind of person he is. If he cares about you enough, I feel like he shouldn't let this affect what you have.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    He said we could wait till I finished high school.
    *Could* is the key word, he didn't say that you should wait so stop being a baby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    *Could* is the key word, he didn't say that you should wait so stop being a baby.
    Bit harsh dude...

The OP is clearly wearing her heart on her sleeve here so show a bit more respect.

OP - I've been in the same position as you. From 14 through to 18 I believed that the guy I was in love with would end up marrying me, having children with me and we'd have great careers and have a lovely home together. And it didn't happen because he finished with me but that's because I was an immature bunny boiler, lol! I'm not saying you are, I'm just being honest

I took up a kick boxing class and we decided just to let each other get on with our lives by having no contact. Every time we had contacted each other previously old feelings had arisen but we knew there was no way back, so we had to start looking forward. Kick boxing helped a lot with the emotional side of things and I really would recommend taking up a new sport, or even just walking, cycling, couch to 5k type of thing...

Honey, you can never move forward in your life if you're looking backwards all the time. I've been in your shoes and felt your feelings and now I'm married (have been for almost 8 years) with a beautiful son, my lovely home and great career is being made greater by stating uni this September.

Time is a healer, give it time. :::hugs:::

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarieJanes)
    Bit harsh dude...

The OP is clearly wearing her heart on her sleeve here so show a bit more respect.

OP - I've been in the same position as you. From 14 through to 18 I believed that the guy I was in love with would end up marrying me, having children with me and we'd have great careers and have a lovely home together. And it didn't happen because he finished with me but that's because I was an immature bunny boiler, lol! I'm not saying you are, I'm just being honest

I took up a kick boxing class and we decided just to let each other get on with our lives by having no contact. Every time we had contacted each other previously old feelings had arisen but we knew there was no way back, so we had to start looking forward. Kick boxing helped a lot with the emotional side of things and I really would recommend taking up a new sport, or even just walking, cycling, couch to 5k type of thing...

Honey, you can never move forward in your life if you're looking backwards all the time. I've been in your shoes and felt your feelings and now I'm married (have been for almost 8 years) with a beautiful son, my lovely home and great career is being made greater by stating uni this September.

Time is a healer, give it time. :::hugs:::
    Thank you so much for your kind words you made my day. I'm trying my hardest to move on and look forward, however I can't help but feel lonely. I feel like without him there never was and there will never be I just have to be strong I guess. Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 27, 2014
Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.