Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have to choose my GCSE options this month and I've been struggling to decide between Latin and Geography for the last 3 months.
    I have done 3 years of Latin 5 times a week up to Year 8 and I miss it, the agony..
    I know Geography is way easier, I always manage to get As and A*s without even revising a bit, while you apparently need a lot of revision for Latin.
    I really can't decide - is all the time and motivation (more like lack of) worth it?
    If it was just for the language, I would be certain about taking it, but it's also the literature which seems so difficult when people say it.
    So, is it worth taking?
    EDIT: my other choices are French, German, Art and DT

ReputationRep:
    If you're good at Latin it won't be too hard to do well on the GCSE - personally I'd say take a modern language instead, but if that's not an option it's probably more useful than geography.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by octoberrain)
    Hi,
    I have to choose my GCSE options this month and I've been struggling to decide between Latin and Geography for the last 3 months.
    I have done 3 years of Latin 5 times a week up to Year 8 and I miss it, the agony..
    I know Geography is way easier, I always manage to get As and A*s without even revising a bit, while you apparently need a lot of revision for Latin.
    I really can't decide - is all the time and motivation (more like lack of) worth it?
    If it was just for the language, I would be certain about taking it, but it's also the literature which seems so difficult when people say it.
    So, is it worth taking?

Do what you like more, you'll work harder at it. It's worth noting that there's a jump from year 9 to GCSE so you may not even find geography all that easy in year 10. I do Latin myself, and I'm planning on doing it at A level too. Not many schools offer it, so if you have the opportunity it's worth taking it, both geography and latin are well regarded, although latin slightly more so (could just be personal bias). Honestly, if you're missing Latin do it. You'll likely do well in subjects you enjoy.

Don't let the literature put you off, if you learn the texts the papers aren't that hard (very similar to english lit), and are actually quite interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing both and I'm enjoying Latin much more than Geography and it seems like you would too. For geography you do a 20 hour piece of coursework for an entire term and you have to learn lots of case studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancStudent098)
    If you're good at Latin it won't be too hard to do well on the GCSE - personally I'd say take a modern language instead, but if that's not an option it's probably more useful than geography.
    I'm already doing German and French

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your answers
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Hi,
    So, is it worth taking?
    EDIT: my other choices are French, German, Art and DT
    I don't think you do another humanities subject?
    You already have German and French (which universities like)
    Languages are harder
    Geography is easier
    Humanities are still useful
    At GCSE level, it may be harder?
    Latin is going to take up more time

You seem to really want to do Latin?
    Have done it already for quite some time
    You'll probably have more motivation to study Latin?
    Lack of interest/motivation to study Geography?
    I think you'll enjoy Latin more than Geography?

^Those are reasons to choose or not to choose it.

I'd suggest you talk to the teachers of those subjects, ask them if they think you'll do well (esp for Latin) Have a look at both GCSE Geography and GCSE Latin content and see if you'd be able to do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMYC1999)
    I don't think you do another humanities subject?
    You already have German and French (which universities like)
    Languages are harder
    Geography is easier
    Humanities are still useful
    At GCSE level, it may be harder?
    Latin is going to take up more time

You seem to really want to do Latin?
    Have done it already for quite some time
    You'll probably have more motivation to study Latin?
    Lack of interest/motivation to study Geography?
    I think you'll enjoy Latin more than Geography?

^Those are reasons to choose or not to choose it.

I'd suggest you talk to the teachers of those subjects, ask them if they think you'll do well (esp for Latin) Have a look at both GCSE Geography and GCSE Language content and see if you'd be able to do it
    Thanks
    It would be a lot easier to talk to the teachers, but I'm gonna go to another school from next year on, and my current school doesn't offer Latin.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Thanks
    It would be a lot easier to talk to the teachers, but I'm gonna go to another school from next year on, and my current school doesn't offer Latin.
    Oh, I see, could you get in contact with them? Visit them on an open day/evening perhaps? Or phone up the school and ask if you could talk to them/arrange an appointment etc :yep:

ReputationRep:
    It's really important to create a solid foundation for yourself at GCSE, in my opinion. English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Geography and a Foreign Language should be your first priorities.

Latin is excellent. It really helped my understanding of languages in general, and made studying French and English a doddle! Some might argue that you'd be better off with a modern foreign language because of it's immediate and obvious use in life but I think Latin really gave something a little different in that I was able to study something of interest while also aiding my ability in other subjects. If classic civilization is something that interests you whether it's the philosophy of the era, epics, architecture or something else then I'd really advocate taking it.

Learning a little Latin doesn't hurt when considering old professions like law or medicine where a lot of the jargon has it's roots in Latin. It'll help you pick things up more intuitively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilSGoodman)
    It's really important to create a solid foundation for yourself at GCSE, in my opinion. English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Geography and a Foreign Language should be your first priorities.

Latin is excellent. It really helped my understanding of languages in general, and made studying French and English a doddle! Some might argue that you'd be better off with a modern foreign language because of it's immediate and obvious use in life but I think Latin really gave something a little different in that I was able to study something of interest while also aiding my ability in other subjects. If classic civilization is something that interests you whether it's the philosophy of the era, epics, architecture or something else then I'd really advocate taking it.

Learning a little Latin doesn't hurt when considering old professions like law or medicine where a lot of the jargon has it's roots in Latin. It'll help you pick things up more intuitively.
    Thanks
    I plan to go into architecture, but might also change my mind until then and choose law or economics.

ReputationRep:
    I do both gcse latin and geography at the minute and I spend far far less time on geography, perhaps due to my teacher and the fact we're taught it over 3 years I haven't had any geography homework for about a year and even then it would only take 10 mins max. I have spent around 1-2 hours per week on latin in the past 2 years and it is definitely the subject with the biggest workload for me. Having said that, I do enjoy it and plan on taking it for a level. To be honest if you're doing 2 modern languages already it shows you can do languages, doing a humanity too would show a greater range of skills. If you really love latin though you should do it because relatively few people have that opportunity and if you put in the work you will get a good grade and then might want to do a level...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    I plan to go into architecture, but might also change my mind until then and choose law or economics.
    Bear in mind that a typical A Level spread for architecture is physics, maths and art. If looking at law, you'd need to probably take up a humanities subject so your essay writing doesn't go to pot in history or English Literature. Economics students need to study maths which is obviously already in the 4 subjects covered by the other 2 subjects.

From that, you should see what the GCSE requirements for those subjects are and make sure you've got everything covered so when you apply for sixth form you don't realise you can't study the right stuff for the degree you want

ReputationRep:
    I do Latin and I will tell you that it's not easy! It looks great though and unis love it especially Russell Group ones! I also do French and I manage it but it's a lot more common :-)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for their replies, I looked at the past papers and I knew everything on the foundation language paper and about most things on the higher paper so it can't be that hard to manage the higher tier in 2 years' time
    As for the literature, well, I won't let it put me off.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.