The Student Room Group

Best album of all time?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by danconway
My Music teacher met the guy who designed this album cover (his daughter went to my school) and he got this album as a present except it was one of the early versions because on the album cover, was the face of Adolf Hitler (who must have been removed due to sensitivity or something).

Wow that's amazing! Yeah John Lennon wanted Hitler on the cover but he wasn't allowed.
Reply 41
Best of all time imo is Thriller.
Hybrid Theory, MMLP1, Curtain Call are also really good.
But thriller has some of the best songs ever made.
Definitely Maybe
Slippery When Wet by Bon Jovi.
doolittle by the pixies
Some of you guys have 10/10 music tastes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Beacon - Two Door Cinema Club :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
The Queen is Dead by The Smiths for me.
Original post by jaydoh
Rumours-Fleetwood Mac

A quick glance over the responses indicates that the suggestion of Fleetwood Mac has been taken more favourably than that of The Beatles. This makes me disproportionately happy.
Welcome to the black parade - my chemical romance
Dark side of the moon - Pink Floyd
X & Y - Coldplay
Bon iver - Bon iver
AM - Arctic Monkeys
Original post by 0range
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

AHa

No but defo dark side of the moon.

I know I encouraged the laughter, but why do you not think it's worthy of being a contender? :smile: I only have two real reasons for saying that I might get laughed at for suggesting it: Pharrell Williams who, despite being good on his two tracks on RAM, is rather irritating, and the fact that it only came out last year so I'm a bit wary to declare it as the greatest album. But it is a superb album, in my opinion - I think Beyond and Touch are probably the masterpieces, really, not Get Lucky and Lose Yourself to Dance.

I might be inclined to agree with you, though, The Dark Side of the Moon is superb. I don't think The Great Gig in the Sky will ever grow old, and Eclipse is another favourite of mine. I love most of the tracks on that album though (my love for Money has waned over the years, sadly).

Original post by Sunny_Smiles
gosh, people still think sgt pepper's is the best beatles album? :lol: there are a few good songs on it but there are a lot of "ah skip it" songs on there e.g. "within you without you" and "good morning". revolver is better in my view because it has a better blend of sounds and, in my honest opinion, better songs
I honestly prefer most albums over sgt peppers (except for let it be, with the beatles and please please me) - am I a freak?

this list is the best I've seen so far

I'm glad to see someone who agrees - I've not really bought into the hype about Sgt. Pepper's. It's good, yes, but then most of The Beatles' albums are (yes, Yellow Submarine, I'm looking at you). Although I haven't listened to all of The Beatles' albums, weirdly. I've only listened to Rubber Soul onwards in full - in fact, add Rubber Soul to my list of contenders - you can't not love Norwegian Wood.

Why thank you. :smile:

Original post by King Leonidas

These two come to mind, any others would need to be carefully considered.

I'm not personally a fan of Michael Jackson, however I know Thriller is meant to be an excellent album - and I'm not saying that just because it's the best-selling album of all time, because today some truly awful albums sell well. Plus it has the only Michael Jackson song I truly love - Beat It.

I'm also going to add Rumours - Fleetwood Mac to my list of contenders. I'm ashamed to have overlooked it at first, considering how many great songs it has on it.
Original post by Handles
I know I encouraged the laughter, but why do you not think it's worthy of being a contender? :smile: I only have two real reasons for saying that I might get laughed at for suggesting it: Pharrell Williams who, despite being good on his two tracks on RAM, is rather irritating, and the fact that it only came out last year so I'm a bit wary to declare it as the greatest album. But it is a superb album, in my opinion - I think Beyond and Touch are probably the masterpieces, really, not Get Lucky and Lose Yourself to Dance.

I might be inclined to agree with you, though, The Dark Side of the Moon is superb. I don't think The Great Gig in the Sky will ever grow old, and Eclipse is another favourite of mine. I love most of the tracks on that album though (my love for Money has waned over the years, sadly).

I'm glad to see someone who agrees - I've not really bought into the hype about Sgt. Pepper's. It's good, yes, but then most of The Beatles' albums are (yes, Yellow Submarine, I'm looking at you). Although I haven't listened to all of The Beatles' albums, weirdly. I've only listened to Rubber Soul onwards in full - in fact, add Rubber Soul to my list of contenders - you can't not love Norwegian Wood.

Why thank you. :smile:

yeah, exactly right about rubber soul - 2 of my absolute favourite beatles songs come from that album (nowhere man and wait) and it's overall a step forward from help in a lot of ways (although help is a great album too and has my favourite beatles song on it). if I were to make a "top 3 beatles albums" I'd definitely put revolver and rubber soul in the top 2 positions and I'd probably put abbey road on the third (because although I like the white album, there are too many "meh" songs amongst the really great songs to give it that level of respect :lol:). in my opinion though, let it be is definitely the worst album.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
yeah, exactly right about rubber soul - 2 of my absolute favourite beatles songs come from that album (nowhere man and wait) and it's overall a step forward from help in a lot of ways (although help is a great album too and has my favourite beatles song on it). if I were to make a "top 3 beatles albums" I'd definitely put revolver and rubber soul in the top 2 positions and I'd probably put abbey road on the third (because although I like the white album, there are too many "meh" songs amongst the really great songs to give it that level of respect :lol:). in my opinion though, let it be is definitely the worst album.

I think I'd have to agree with you there, but like I say, I haven't listened to them all in full, so I'm going off limited knowledge. :smile:
Oh yes, haha, the White Album really does have some shockers. What on earth were they doing with Revolution 9? And I'm not a fan of Bungalow Bill or Rocky Raccoon either. However, While My Guitar Gently Weeps is probably one of my favourite songs of all time.

I'm not sure about Let It Be. I love the eponymous song, and I'm a fan of The Long and Winding Road too, but I'm not sure about some of the others. Bit of a mixed bag for me.
Reply 53
Master of Puppets by Metallica
Original post by Handles
I think I'd have to agree with you there, but like I say, I haven't listened to them all in full, so I'm going off limited knowledge. :smile:
Oh yes, haha, the White Album really does have some shockers. What on earth were they doing with Revolution 9? And I'm not a fan of Bungalow Bill or Rocky Raccoon either. However, While My Guitar Gently Weeps is probably one of my favourite songs of all time.

I'm not sure about Let It Be. I love the eponymous song, and I'm a fan of The Long and Winding Road too, but I'm not sure about some of the others. Bit of a mixed bag for me.

haha yeah, revolution number 9 isn't really "a song" in my opinion, just a bit of a joke at the end of the album :lol: or at least if it was actually a song I feel bad about how they meant it to be a proper song (stupid yoko...). "wild honey pie", "dear prudence", "long long long" and "mother nature's son" in my opinion have a kind of "meh skip it" quality to them, but all the others are great beatles songs in my opinion even though there're a lot of really different sounding songs on that album; they all blend together really well, whereas songs on albums like help and hard days night have a similar quality throughout which fits it well regardless.

with let it be, I think some songs are definitely good, don't get me wrong, it just seems like a really "tired" album :lol: - if they had released "let it be" (the song itself) as a single as one of the "past masters" collection it probably would have been appreciated slightly more like "don't let me down" was; "I me mine", "get back" and "the long and winding road" however are pretty good songs and I definitely prefer those songs to "the less good songs" on some of the better albums, bit they don't don't blend very well together on let it be like songs on abbey road/revolver do.
(edited 9 years ago)
My favourites are:
Miracle Mile - STRFKR
I Had The Blues... - Bombay Bicycle Club
North Borders - Bonobo
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
Trouble Will Find Me - The National
Classics - Ratatat
Comedown Machine - The Strokes
Beacon - Two Door
Contra - Vampire Weekend
After the Disco - Broken Bells
Original post by Comus
Master of Puppets by Metallica

really? in terms of the metallica's "good first 4" albums I'd have said that master of puppets wasn't quite as good as ride the lightning and & justice for all; battery and master of puppet are amazing songs, but for the other songs on the album it goes slightly down hill from there; and justice for all might not have "absolutely epic" songs like master of puppets (and battery) (although "one" is definitely "quite" epic, haha) but I think the actual albums themselves (and justice + ride the lightning) have consistently more well-made songs when looked at as a whole opposed to individual songs. I'd definitely say master of puppets is one of the best metal albums of all time, however, with albums like reign in blood, rust in peace, piece of mind, the blackening, ashes of the wake (those two perhaps aren't widely held opinions but oh well :lol:) etc
The Beatles - 'Revolver'
It covers a wide range of topics, starting with politics ('Taxman'). It signalled that The Beatles had moved on from writing standard pop songs about girls. It was about the time the started taking LSD I think, but their music did progress significantly. Lennon really does challenge the boundaries of music with 'Tomorrow Never Knows' and Harrison plays guitar backwards on that song (the first time ever I believe).
I can't decide between:-

Close to the Edge- Yes
Red- King Crimson
Dark Side of the Moon- Pink Floyd

I want to say the latter really badly but it's so predictable :tongue:
Doolittle - Pixies
Dirty - Sonic Youth
Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain // Terror Twilight - Pavement
Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins
Afraid of Heights - Wavves
The Blue Album - Weezer
In Utero - Nirvana