The Student Room Group

Best album of all time?

Scroll to see replies

Most of Bob Dylan's albums are amazing as well. Especially 'Blood on the tracks' and 'bringing it all back home'. Greatest songwriter ever.
Reply 61
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
really? in terms of the metallica's "good first 4" albums I'd have said that master of puppets wasn't quite as good as ride the lightning and & justice for all; battery and master of puppet are amazing songs, but for the other songs on the album it goes slightly down hill from there; and justice for all might not have "absolutely epic" songs like master of puppets (and battery) (although "one" is definitely "quite" epic, haha) but I think the actual albums themselves (and justice + ride the lightning) have consistently more well-made songs when looked at as a whole opposed to individual songs. I'd definitely say master of puppets is one of the best metal albums of all time, however, with albums like reign in blood, rust in peace, piece of mind, the blackening, ashes of the wake (those two perhaps aren't widely held opinions but oh well :lol:) etc

Personally, I don't think there's a weak song on the entire album, whereas on RTL you have "Escape" and "Trapped Under Ice", which are still good songs, but they're still much weaker in terms of writing and AJFA is let down somewhat by the production (poor Newstead). Reign in Blood can get a bit same-y and to be honest, while I like Rust in Peace, I prefer Peace Sells. The Blackening is quite a solid album.
I think a lot of people in this thread are confusing "personal favourite" with "best" or "greatest" album of all time, which is actually what the title question is asking

I love TDCC as much as the next guy...but Beacon as the best album of all time? Really? Over the likes of Blonde on Blonde, The Velvet Underground & Nico, or What's Going On? Really?
Original post by Comus
Personally, I don't think there's a weak song on the entire album, whereas on RTL you have "Escape" and "Trapped Under Ice", which are still good songs, but they're still much weaker in terms of writing and AJFA is let down somewhat by the production (poor Newstead). Reign in Blood can get a bit same-y and to be honest, while I like Rust in Peace, I prefer Peace Sells. The Blackening is quite a solid album.

hmm yeah I agree with you about those RTL songs, maybe I just consider "the selection of really good songs" on justice/ride to be slightly better than master's, because personally I was never really a fan of songs like orion, leper messiah and heroes (but now that I'm reminded of it, damage inc was a great song as well with battery and master)

and yeah, reign in blood is a little samey in all honesty, I might actually prefer "christ illusion" judging "the entire album" opposed to "those few good songs, e.g. angel and raining blood, but I'm weird :lol:
+also I should have said perhaps "burn my eyes" (by MH) as well as the blackening - that's also a great metal album :lol:
Reply 64
hmm yeah I agree with you about those RTL songs, maybe I just consider "the selection of really good songs" on justice/ride to be slightly better than master's, because personally I was never really a fan of songs like orion, leper messiah and heroes (but now that I'm reminded of it, damage inc was a great song as well with battery and master)

and yeah, reign in blood is a little samey in all honesty, I might actually prefer "christ illusion" judging "the entire album" opposed to "those few good songs, e.g. angel and raining blood, but I'm weird :lol:
+also I should have said perhaps "burn my eyes" (by MH) as well as the blackening - that's also a great metal album :lol:

I must say, I really like Orion - and in fact all of Cliff's instrumentals - as well as Disposable Heroes and Leper Messiah but maybe that's just me.
Unto The Locust is also a very good album - Oh and I think I'll throw in Anthrax's Worship Music.
For me, it'd be:

Alter Bridge - ABIII
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Pearl Jam - Ten
Soilwork - The Living Infinite
Trivium - Ascendancy
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Original post by Aivicore
For me, it'd be:

Alter Bridge - ABIII
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Pearl Jam - Ten
Soilwork - The Living Infinite
Trivium - Ascendancy
Alice in Chains - Dirt

oh hell yes :coma:
it's a shame trivium in my opinion went a bit bad after ascendancy :lol:
also, dirt over face lift? care to explain :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
oh hell yes :coma:
it's a shame trivium in my opinion went a bit bad after ascendancy :lol:
also, dirt over face lift? care to explain :tongue:

:five:

Nah I completely agree, I still bought every album they brought out in the hope it'd be on that level again, but they never reached the same calibre of widdlyness and plain catchyness! :redface:

Well, Facelift is a close 2nd, but I just find myself listening to the tracks on Dirt more often - 'Dam That River' and 'Them Bones', most importantly. It's actually impossible for me to not move to those. :p:
Justified_-_Justin_Timberlake.png
Original post by Aivicore
:five:

Nah I completely agree, I still bought every album they brought out in the hope it'd be on that level again, but they never reached the same calibre of widdlyness and plain catchyness! :redface:

Well, Facelift is a close 2nd, but I just find myself listening to the tracks on Dirt more often - 'Dam That River' and 'Them Bones', most importantly. It's actually impossible for me to not move to those. :p:

yeah, ascendancy was actually the album that got me into heavy metal when I was about 12 years old :lol: it was almost traumatising buying "shogun" for my birthday the year it came out and being as disappointed as I was...I didn't buy the album(s?) after that one. and yeah, I'd actually consider (in my opinion) face lift a very close first as well now that I think about it - they should share a number one spot on the "best alice in chains" list

Quick Reply

Latest