Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    What are the differences (pros and cons)?

My best mark out of the biology ISAs was 31/50 (62%) = U. My target grades are As, and I think I can do better but my teacher is hesitant to submit me for the EMPA since they think it would still work out to be a high UMS. Is anyone able to shed some light on how that would work?

So, please if anybody is speaking from EMPA and ISA experience please fill me in and/or offer some help/advice. I don't really know anything about EMPAs.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm glad u posted this I'm in the same situation I need an A and have so far got all A's in my AS biology but I keep messing up the isas and got a D I'm able to resit next week but I'm scared I'm going to mess it up Agen becoz the grade boundaries are so damn high :/
    Bdw I didn't no you could do both the empa and isa in the same year can any one shed some light on this please ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aishaahmed96)
    Hey I'm glad u posted this I'm in the same situation I need an A and have so far got all A's in my AS biology but I keep messing up the isas and got a D I'm able to resit next week but I'm scared I'm going to mess it up Agen becoz the grade boundaries are so damn high :/
    Bdw I didn't no you could do both the empa and isa in the same year can any one shed some light on this please ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hello! It depends on your school. My school allows 2 ISA attempts, and if we fail those 2 ISA's - are teacher will encourage us to do sit the EMPA, on the same year.

But if we've got the grades we wanted on those 2 ISA's, which means the 'best score' will be sent off, then we wouldn't need to take the EMPA. So I guess it depends on the school. As some schools don't do ISA's, they only do EMPA and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    Wow that' sounds great I really hope my college lets me do that :/
    But isn't it too late now to be entered for the empa ? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow that' sounds great I really hope my college lets me do that :/
    But isn't it too late now to be entered for the empa ? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know if it's too late, but my teacher just announced today that the biology a-levels tutors in my school have all decided not to put anyone on the 'EMPA'. Due to it being in exam conditions and will definitely make more people stressed. They want us to focus on Biol 1 and 2 since it's the most important one.

ISA is only 20% and you can still get an 'A' overall in AS, even if you have a 'U' in ISA, but that means you'll need to get SUPER HIGH scores on your two biology exams.

I've got a 'C' in my ISA with 37/50 and that's 14.8%. Meaning that if I get 50/60 in my Biol 1 (33.3%), and 75/85 in my Biol 2(35.3%)- my overall percentage would be on an 83.4% which equals to an 'A'

If you want to calculate your results and what you'll need when you get your ISA, just do:
    (Biol 1 % x 0.4)+(Biol 2 % x 0.4)+(ISA % x 0.2) = overall % grade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabzLife)
    I don't know if it's too late, but my teacher just announced today that the biology a-levels tutors in my school have all decided not to put anyone on the 'EMPA'. Due to it being in exam conditions and will definitely make more people stressed. They want us to focus on Biol 1 and 2 since it's the most important one.

ISA is only 20% and you can still get an 'A' overall in AS, even if you have a 'U' in ISA, but that means you'll need to get SUPER HIGH scores on your two biology exams.

I've got a 'C' in my ISA with 37/50 and that's 14.8%. Meaning that if I get 50/60 in my Biol 1 (33.3%), and 75/85 in my Biol 2(35.3%)- my overall percentage would be on an 83.4% which equals to an 'A'

If you want to calculate your results and what you'll need when you get your ISA, just do:
    I didn't realise your doing AS
    I'm doing A2 so I'm not sure if it works differently in terms of me getting an A overall ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise your doing AS
    I'm doing A2 so I'm not sure if it works differently in terms of me getting an A overall ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh right, I think it's still the same for A2. The 2 exams are always 80% and the ISA/EMPA is 20%

ReputationRep:

You need to look at ums marks not raw marks 75/85 in biol 2 will be close to full ums they have a raw mark to ums converter online so you can see what you would have needed in previous years

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Based on last years grade boundaries (I don't know if they were higher or lower than normal)
    You would get 36/60 ums for your isa

You need 240/300 overall for an A, if you got an a (80 ums) on biol1 which was 42/60 raw marks.
    Then you would need 124 ums on biol 2 which last year was 65/85 raw marks

It is hard to get 75/85 on biol 2 and you don't need it anyway, when you do the past papers just check against ums marks for that year so you know if you are on track or not

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ermahgerdexams)
    Based on last years grade boundaries (I don't know if they were higher or lower than normal)
    You would get 36/60 ums for your isa

You need 240/300 overall for an A, if you got an a (80 ums) on biol1 which was 42/60 raw marks.
    Then you would need 124 ums on biol 2 which last year was 65/85 raw marks

It is hard to get 75/85 on biol 2 and you don't need it anyway, when you do the past papers just check against ums marks for that year so you know if you are on track or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh right, that's so much lower than I expected it to be :O Thanks for the information!!!!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.