The Student Room Group

GCSE - Facts Game

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WanderingWorrier
Oui :biggrin: Also, what exam board are you on? AQA don't require any knowledge of valve names at all, which is annoying :tongue:

AQA.

Hmmm... I shall have to re-investigate the B3 spec. :holmes: I had thought they did require you to know the valve names.

EDIT:
Huh, looks like you don't need to know them after all! Well it's fun to learn all the same! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by StrangeBanana
AQA.

Hmmm... I shall have to re-investigate the B3 spec. :holmes: I had thought they did require you to know the valve names.

Nope xD I use the specification when I revise- valves names definitely aren't a requirement :tongue:
Nope xD I use the specification when I revise- valves names definitely aren't a requirement :tongue:

Meh, surplus knowledge is never a bad thing. :tongue: Guess my biology teacher was rambling and forgot the valve-names weren't on the spec.
Original post by StrangeBanana
Meh, surplus knowledge is never a bad thing. :tongue: Guess my biology teacher was rambling and forgot the valve-names weren't on the spec.

Surplus knowledge is always a great thing :biggrin:
Anyways, back to the thread :tongue:

To soften permanent hard water, you react it with sodium chloride.
Surplus knowledge is always a great thing :biggrin:
Anyways, back to the thread :tongue:

To soften permanent hard water, you react it with sodium chloride.

True. You can, but it's by no means the only way :tongue:

The direction of an induced current (positive to negative) can be found using the Right Hand Rule.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sulfur
Yes it is false - it's when a magnet is moved into a coil of wire, not near :smile:

Are you sure? I thought as long as there is a changing magnetic field and the wire cuts through it, a current is induced? :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Isn't found using the left hand rule?
George only kept Lennie because he was lonely
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by majmuh24
Are you sure? I thought as long as there is a changing magnetic field and the wire cuts through it, a current is induced? :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I thought too.

True. You can, but it's by no means the only way :tongue:

The direction of an induced current (positive to negative) can be found using the Right Hand Rule.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, but should it not be negative to positive? Current flows from negative to positive.
What is with all these OMAM questions. I do IGCSE English, so all of this is going over my head :/
Reply 69
Dw here's a science question for you (;
The extension of a spring is not directly proportional to the force applied providing that the limit of proportionality is not exceeded
Original post by ennahaspatience
Isn't found using the left hand rule?
George only kept Lennie because he was lonely

Nah, that's only for a force :tongue: For induced current, we use the right hand generator rule

Original post by rayquaza17
That's what I thought too.

True, but should it not be negative to positive? Current flows from negative to positive.

It is, I checked up and the actual definition is the rate of change of magnetic flux permeating the wire with respect to time :tongue:

Nah, for some reason we use conventional current (even though in a metallic conductor the flow of current is negative to positive, we just take it as positive to negative for the rule. Just one of those things I guess :tongue:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleming's_left-hand_rule_for_motors

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Manexopi
Dw here's a science question for you (;
The extension of a spring is not directly proportional to the force applied providing that the limit of proportionality is not exceeded

False, it is proportional cos of the spring constant. F=ke and all that :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah, that's only for a force :tongue: For induced current, we use the right hand generator rule

AQA brah? or do I need to revise?
AQA brah? or do I need to revise?

I'm not sure, my teacher might have gone a bit overboard :tongue: It's all here though :colone:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleming's_left-hand_rule_for_motors

Posted from TSR Mobile
John Steinbeck based Lennie's character on a real person he worked with on a ranch who was sent to a mental asylum after killing another ranch worker. True or false?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pearl_ake
John Steinbeck based Lennie's character on a real person he worked with on a ranch who was sent to a mental asylum after killing another ranch worker. True or false?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got this.... True

For hydrogenation the condition needed is to be heated at 60 degree celsius using hydrogen over an iron catayst
Reply 76
We do need to know te right hand rule for AQA idk what the generator is tho... Anyways ^false far as I'm aware xp
In Romeo and Juliet, Romeo is jealous of death as it has Juliet
(edited 10 years ago)
I got this.... True

For hydrogenation the condition needed is to be heated at 60 degree celsius using hydrogen over an iron catayst

Correct. Lennie was a real person!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pearl_ake
Correct. Lennie was a real person!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mr Bruff came to the rescue:tongue:
Original post by Manexopi
We do need to know te right hand rule for AQA idk what the generator is tho... Anyways ^false far as I'm aware xp
In Romeo and Juliet, Romeo is jealous of death as it has Juliet

Correct, it is false

the conditions needed are:

heated at 60 degree Celsius

using hydrogen

over a nickel catayst

Quick Reply

Latest