Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone here is studying motorsport/mechanical engineering at Coventry? And your opinions on the course and the uni in general?

ReputationRep:
    I am at the end of my second year in mechanical engineering.

The course seems to be perfectly good. The first year was well structured to ensure you have the right skills at the right time and the projects were quite good - For example, creating a bridge to certain specifications, making a remote controlled car chassis and things like that. There are plenty of practical bits in the first year (second year is far more focused on theory and "essential skills" you'll need as an engineer) and the lecturers are generally very good.

The university is fine. Engineering & Computing certainly feels like the best faculty there, especially as we have new facilities. I wouldn't want to go to Coventry for many other courses, but engineering is certainly not bad. There is lots of support for careers and everything seems well managed.

For some reason people base their choices on nightlife, and Coventry is fine in that respect. It's not as full-on as a major city might be, but there's a reasonable choice of things to do. There are plenty of trains to other towns and cities such as Birmingham too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    I am at the end of my second year in mechanical engineering.

The course seems to be perfectly good. The first year was well structured to ensure you have the right skills at the right time and the projects were quite good - For example, creating a bridge to certain specifications, making a remote controlled car chassis and things like that. There are plenty of practical bits in the first year (second year is far more focused on theory and "essential skills" you'll need as an engineer) and the lecturers are generally very good.

The university is fine. Engineering & Computing certainly feels like the best faculty there, especially as we have new facilities. I wouldn't want to go to Coventry for many other courses, but engineering is certainly not bad. There is lots of support for careers and everything seems well managed.

For some reason people base their choices on nightlife, and Coventry is fine in that respect. It's not as full-on as a major city might be, but there's a reasonable choice of things to do. There are plenty of trains to other towns and cities such as Birmingham too.
    Thanks for the information! Nightlife doesn't really bother me tbh as I live in birmingham anyway. Just as long as the course and facilities are good and well managed.

ReputationRep:
    I studied Mechanical Engineering at Coventry and I have just finished my final year. I absolutely loved my degree. Coventry is a bit dodgy at times but the course was great and I think for me this was partly due to the staff. It's really important to be on good terms with your lecturers and make sure to always ask for help when you need it. Some people think asking for help makes you look stupid but more often than not lecturers respect your willingness to learn. And at the end of the day, they are the ones who ultimately decide your degree classification. I won't lie to you, a degree in engineering won't be all fun and games but it will be worth it! Good luck and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.