The Student Room Group

Civil Engineering Imperial

I enjoy Maths a lot and would have applied to study it at university had it not been for the fact that I want to work in an Engineering field after graduating (a degree in Maths would limit my opportunities compared to a degree in Engineering).

I hold an offer to study Civil Engineering at Imperial and I have looked through the content of the course and I am kind of disappointed that there isn't much new Maths in first year or second year (90% of it just A-Level Further Maths).

I was wondering whether Imperial allow Engineering students to study modules usually studied by Maths students?
Reply 1
If you wanted to do Engineering and Maths, then why did you not apply for an Engineering Mathematics degree?

The point is that Engineering isn't a maths degree, which is why it wouldn't really be teaching much new maths material.
There will probably be logistical problems in Imperial allowing you so study maths modules: lecture conflictions, exam conflictions etc.

It would be unlikely that your going to maths module lectures would count towards your final mark.
Reply 2
Original post by GPODT
I enjoy Maths a lot and would have applied to study it at university had it not been for the fact that I want to work in an Engineering field after graduating (a degree in Maths would limit my opportunities compared to a degree in Engineering).

I hold an offer to study Civil Engineering at Imperial and I have looked through the content of the course and I am kind of disappointed that there isn't much new Maths in first year or second year (90% of it just A-Level Further Maths).

I was wondering whether Imperial allow Engineering students to study modules usually studied by Maths students?

I have the intention to study civil engineering at hopefully imperial. What grades did you achieve if you don't mind me asking and what subjects did you take? Thanks :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by elldeegee
If you wanted to do Engineering and Maths, then why did you not apply for an Engineering Mathematics degree?

The point is that Engineering isn't a maths degree, which is why it wouldn't really be teaching much new maths material.
There will probably be logistical problems in Imperial allowing you so study maths modules: lecture conflictions, exam conflictions etc.

It would be unlikely that your going to maths module lectures would count towards your final mark.

Not many universities offer it. I think Bristol is one of the few top universities that offer it.

Original post by Super199
I have the intention to study civil engineering at hopefully imperial. What grades did you achieve if you don't mind me asking and what subjects did you take? Thanks :smile:

My offer is A*A*A though I am fortunate since others have had A*A*AA offers. I currently study Mathematics, Further Maths and Physics :smile:.
You can sit in lectures if there aren't any clashes. Didn't you research the course structure beforehand? :P
Maths does open up a lot of opportunities so it's a misunderstanding to say that Engineering opens more doors in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by GPODT
Not many universities offer it. I think Bristol is one of the few top universities that offer it.

My offer is A*A*A though I am fortunate since others have had A*A*AA offers. I currently study Mathematics, Further Maths and Physics :smile:.

Maybe they aren't doing further maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending