Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy Maths a lot and would have applied to study it at university had it not been for the fact that I want to work in an Engineering field after graduating (a degree in Maths would limit my opportunities compared to a degree in Engineering).

I hold an offer to study Civil Engineering at Imperial and I have looked through the content of the course and I am kind of disappointed that there isn't much new Maths in first year or second year (90% of it just A-Level Further Maths).

I was wondering whether Imperial allow Engineering students to study modules usually studied by Maths students?

ReputationRep:
    If you wanted to do Engineering and Maths, then why did you not apply for an Engineering Mathematics degree?

The point is that Engineering isn't a maths degree, which is why it wouldn't really be teaching much new maths material.
    There will probably be logistical problems in Imperial allowing you so study maths modules: lecture conflictions, exam conflictions etc.

It would be unlikely that your going to maths module lectures would count towards your final mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GPODT)
    I enjoy Maths a lot and would have applied to study it at university had it not been for the fact that I want to work in an Engineering field after graduating (a degree in Maths would limit my opportunities compared to a degree in Engineering).

I hold an offer to study Civil Engineering at Imperial and I have looked through the content of the course and I am kind of disappointed that there isn't much new Maths in first year or second year (90% of it just A-Level Further Maths).

I was wondering whether Imperial allow Engineering students to study modules usually studied by Maths students?
    I have the intention to study civil engineering at hopefully imperial. What grades did you achieve if you don't mind me asking and what subjects did you take? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elldeegee)
    If you wanted to do Engineering and Maths, then why did you not apply for an Engineering Mathematics degree?

The point is that Engineering isn't a maths degree, which is why it wouldn't really be teaching much new maths material.
    There will probably be logistical problems in Imperial allowing you so study maths modules: lecture conflictions, exam conflictions etc.

It would be unlikely that your going to maths module lectures would count towards your final mark.
    Not many universities offer it. I think Bristol is one of the few top universities that offer it.

(Original post by Super199)
    I have the intention to study civil engineering at hopefully imperial. What grades did you achieve if you don't mind me asking and what subjects did you take? Thanks
    My offer is A*A*A though I am fortunate since others have had A*A*AA offers. I currently study Mathematics, Further Maths and Physics .

ReputationRep:
    You can sit in lectures if there aren't any clashes. Didn't you research the course structure beforehand? :P
    Maths does open up a lot of opportunities so it's a misunderstanding to say that Engineering opens more doors in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.