Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I've applied to study History and Philosophy at Lancaster university. They have returned with a conditional AAB offer.

However as well as this I have also got a letter from the Director of Undergraduate Admissions, Department of History.

He claims "we were very impressed by your application and delighted to confirm your conditional offer" and also wrote "In the event your grades dip below those specified in your Ucas offer we will still consider your application." I have no idea how personalised or mass produced this letter is, although it looks signed by him in pen.

Can anyone tell me how serious this is, whether or not it's mere marketing guff. Also, by 'dips' does anyone have a clue what this mean in real terms, is it just ABB or would they tolerate an AAC?

Has anyone had a similar letter?

Obviously there's not a clear cut answer, I'm happy for any musings

Thanks, Peter

ReputationRep:
    I believe they mean one or two grades below your offer.

That is a minimum of BBB at A-Level, although this may very each year.

ReputationRep:
    It seems like a standard mail merged email yes.

And by dips they mean Lower than entry requirements by a small margin. I got one from Exeter saying they accept equivalence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leaky_Tap)
    I have no idea how personalised or mass produced this letter is, although it looks signed by him in pen.

Can anyone tell me how serious this is, whether or not it's mere marketing guff. Also, by 'dips' does anyone have a clue what this mean in real terms, is it just ABB or would they tolerate an AAC?

Has anyone had a similar letter?

Obviously there's not a clear cut answer, I'm happy for any musings

Thanks, Peter
    It's marketing guff, it's quite common now for offers of AAB or above and computer signatures are clever now, although someone may make the effort to sign them.

What universities will accept depends on how many of their offer holders make their grades and how many spaces they have left - and the government restrictions on who they can take. Get ABB and you'll probably be OK.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.