Soph31
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi Latin peeps! Probably not that many people who do it as most of the population are not in private education but for us who are or people who's schools are traditional let's discus the horrors of Latin!
name not valid
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Haha. Horrors of Latin? The literature, defo.
240 lines total of 3 dead guys, to learn...by heart?!
And all those verb endings, don't even get me started on nouns and adjectives
Soph31
Rep:
?
I know the sources is fine I can just about deal with that but the prose... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh it's just so much! I will never learn all the noun endings and all the perfect passive, active whatever else there is! My teacher gave us 3 practice papers for prep, I opened one and felt like crying! My targets an A*, think not!
name not valid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm targeted A* too.
Trying my best to perfect language papers and style spotting techniques so I don't have to learn so much. Plus it will help with English GCSE :P
What are your methods for revising Latin, lit or lang?
lawrencefrape1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The literature is ages away though. We have plenty of time to learn it off by heart. What are you guys doing? I'm doing The Aenied and Sagae Thessalae.
name not valid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lawrencefrape1)
The literature is ages away though. We have plenty of time to learn it off by heart. What are you guys doing? I'm doing The Aenied and Sagae Thessalae.
Virgil-the end of the Aeneid(poor Turnus!), Cicero -corruption of Verres and Livy- Mucius Gaius Scaevola and Cloelia
I don't know the proper titles of the prose, just the stories
lawrencefrape1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by name not valid)
Virgil-the end of the Aeneid(poor Turnus!), Cicero -corruption of Verres and Livy- Mucius Gaius Scaevola and Cloelia
I don't know the proper titles of the prose, just the stories
Oh, I forgot that we're doing Pliny's letters too.
name not valid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lawrencefrape1)
Oh, I forgot that we're doing Pliny's letters too.
The ones about Vesuvius?!
You've got that and we have some speech prepared by a lawyer who never got to perform it because the defendant did a runner, and a over exaggerated story about a two heroes who were captured by a king, only to be released because he admired their bravery?!
Aww man! I always knew my Latin teacher hated us
But at least you have to put up with cocky Aeneas and wretched Turnus as well.
I am glad its the last exam as well. I have a whole week to learn the verse stuff.
Soph31
Rep:
?
I'm doing Sagae Thessalae and Regulus! At least the exams aren't until the end but I'm revising of the full vocab list, a grammar pack my teacher gave us, learning the prose and doing practice papers!
name not valid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Soph31)
I'm doing Sagae Thessalae and Regulus! At least the exams aren't until the end but I'm revising of the full vocab list, a grammar pack my teacher gave us, learning the prose and doing practice papers!
Our teacher gave us vocab flashcards- had to spend all summer cutting them out but they're quite useful.
I've copied out a noun table and cut it up so I can learn the endings- like a slightly geeky, boring jigsaw but its a light method of revising Latin.
Hoping to do past papers soon, especially language because its closest but also have to learn my prose stuff for after Easter holidays, as teacher has set us one last test, on the whole prose! :,(
Bazbaz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Woo fellow Latinists

I'm doing Sagae thessalae, regulus, and Aeneid XII. Just learnt the Aeneid today, sill have to learn prose :'(

How's everyone's revision going?
name not valid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bazbaz)
Woo fellow Latinists

I'm doing Sagae thessalae, regulus, and Aeneid XII. Just learnt the Aeneid today, sill have to learn prose :'(

How's everyone's revision going?
My brain is like a bucket with a big hole in the bottom.
You seem to be being successful, what's your method?
Bazbaz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My brain is like a bucket with a big hole in the bottom.
You seem to be being successful, what's your method?

Flashcards, and preparing notes well in advance. I spent last summer writing up latin grammar notes (sad, but true) and I have verse split up into 21 flash cards, I've been learning 3 flashcards a day. I learnt Pliny back in january.

I have flashcards for vocab as well, what I do is split them up into 6 random equal piles and go through a pile a day, boring but it works.

I've been doing tonnes of past papers. The Classics head of department wrote a bunch of prose and verse papers for us.

My Latin teacher dropped my predicted grade from an A* to an A, and I'm determined to prove him wrong so I've been working my socks off.

Edit: I'm trying not to think about sag thess. Prose is by far my strongest paper though....
name not valid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Flashcards, and preparing notes well in advance. I spent last summer writing up latin grammar notes (sad, but true) and I have verse split up into 21 flash cards, I've been learning 3 flashcards a day. I learnt Pliny back in january.

I have flashcards for vocab as well, what I do is split them up into 6 random equal piles and go through a pile a day, boring but it works.

I've been doing tonnes of past papers. The Classics head of department wrote a bunch of prose and verse papers for us.

My Latin teacher dropped my predicted grade from an A* to an A, and I'm determined to prove him wrong so I've been working my socks off.
:O
Woah. I honestly admire your effort!
Teacher sounds ignorant of that!
Really hope you get your A*, you deserve it with that work.

Gonna have to sort myself out when there's that amount of work going on!!

By splitting the lit into flashcards, do you mean like paragraphs of Latin to learn translation or have you got style on them as well?
Bazbaz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
:O
Woah. I honestly admire your effort!
Teacher sounds ignorant of that!
Really hope you get your A*, you deserve it with that work.

Gonna have to sort myself out when there's that amount of work going on!!

By splitting the lit into flashcards, do you mean like paragraphs of Latin to learn translation or have you got style on them as well?
I have the latin on one side and the english on another, theres about 6 lines on each, then I just write a brief summary of what happens in those lines on the same side of the latin. I use the latin as a bit of a prompt, so it helps me be familiar with the latin as well. You don't want to just learn the English and then not know what part of the latin it goes with!

Yeah I did no work last year and was on a C but have worked really hard this year, so I think he's a bit worried that I might stop working, and he thinks I'm worse than I am. My best friend got a couple percent higher thn me in the mock, although i did significantly better than her in two papers (I fluffed the language two paper, had a complete block in the exam, brought my grade right down.) but she's predicted an A*. It's a bit annoying but hey, I'll prove him wrong

I'm sure you'll do fine
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I will be happy with an A! Can't do Latin to save my life . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
name not valid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have the latin on one side and the english on another, theres about 6 lines on each, then I just write a brief summary of what happens in those lines on the same side of the latin. I use the latin as a bit of a prompt, so it helps me be familiar with the latin as well. You don't want to just learn the English and then not know what part of the latin it goes with!

Yeah I did no work last year and was on a C but have worked really hard this year, so I think he's a bit worried that I might stop working, and he thinks I'm worse than I am. My best friend got a couple percent higher thn me in the mock, although i did significantly better than her in two papers (I fluffed the language two paper, had a complete block in the exam, brought my grade right down.) but she's predicted an A*. It's a bit annoying but hey, I'll prove him wrong

I'm sure you'll do fine
At least YOU know you're working. Would love to be a fly on the wall to see your teacher's face on results day when you get your A*
I think I'm going to adopt your methods
I have hardly worked for two years and I've been quite good at fluffing through language and sometimes literature, but it can only last so long so I really wanna show my teacher I can actually do work. and my cocky best friend who writes whole essays for the 8 markers hehe
Thanks for the tips and good luck to you my friend
Bazbaz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Edminzodo)
I will be happy with an A! Can't do Latin to save my life . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure you're not that bad anyway a B in Latin is perfectly respectable, Latin has pretty high grade boundaries, and its one of the hardest GCSE's there is.

If you're down on yourself you won't do well, just work your hardest and you'll do your best, which is all you have to do. ( I apologise for the cheese, I'm in a motivational mood )
Bazbaz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At least YOU know you're working. Would love to be a fly on the wall to see your teacher's face on results day when you get your A*
I think I'm going to adopt your methods
I have hardly worked for two years and I've been quite good at fluffing through language and sometimes literature, but it can only last so long so I really wanna show my teacher I can actually do work. and my cocky best friend who writes whole essays for the 8 markers hehe
Thanks for the tips and good luck to you my friend
Aha, another convert to my latin revision tips. I've been doing vocab revision cards since September and was mocked mercilessly, came back for the mocks and everyone had made them and thanked me for the idea. It was quite amusing.

Best of luck to you too
name not valid
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aha, another convert to my latin revision tips. I've been doing vocab revision cards since September and was mocked mercilessly, came back for the mocks and everyone had made them and thanked me for the idea. It was quite amusing.

Best of luck to you too
I would never have mocked you. I used to make them for y9 latin, back when it was easy(ish!). Then I stopped in y10 because the teacher said they hand them out to cut up over summer, and true to her word, they did. But I look up to you like a deity now. I am ever indebted. Cicero, Livy and Virgil, here I come! :cool:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (160)
15.55%
Uncertainty around my education (167)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (98)
9.52%
Isolating with family (71)
6.9%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (38)
3.69%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.75%
Loneliness (102)
9.91%
Financial worries (46)
4.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (94)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (73)
7.09%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.75%

Watched Threads