The Student Room Group

GCSE Latin!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bazbaz
I'm sure you're not that bad :smile: anyway a B in Latin is perfectly respectable, Latin has pretty high grade boundaries, and its one of the hardest GCSE's there is.

If you're down on yourself you won't do well, just work your hardest and you'll do your best, which is all you have to do.

I agree.:yep:
Original post by Bazbaz
I'm doing Sagae thessalae, regulus, and Aeneid XII.How's everyone's revision going?
We're doing the same to papers. :biggrin:Do have any practice resources for prose?
Reply 22
Original post by Me-llamo-naomi
We're doing the same to papers. :biggrin:Do have any practice resources for prose?

I don't I'm afraid, I got given paper copies of everything my school had
I think it's the first year for Sagae and the Aeneid so there aren't any past papers for both. The language papers were easy except for 'oblata' (I'm guessing everyone is doing OCR).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just realised that procrastination comes from the latin 'pro cras' meaning: for tomorrow. Anyway how did everyone find the prose exam?
Original post by polymath98
I think it's the first year for Sagae and the Aeneid so there aren't any past papers for both. The language papers were easy except for 'oblata' (I'm guessing everyone is doing OCR).

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's the second year; there are past papers available for both prose (which has already taken place) and the Aeneid - but just one which is nowhere near enough in my opinion xD
Original post by Soph31
Hi Latin peeps! Probably not that many people who do it as most of the population are not in private education but for us who are or people who's schools are traditional let's discus the horrors of Latin!

I'm sorry but I find that slightly offensive, I go to an academy that used to be a comprehensive and I do Latin.
learned all the vocab in year 9, should be okay
I had the phrase 'but father Aeneas, hearing the name of Turnus' stuck in my head throughout the prose exam... it was great.
Original post by lawrencefrape1
I just realised that procrastination comes from the latin 'pro cras' meaning: for tomorrow. Anyway how did everyone find the prose exam?

I found it better than expected actually! :smile: Just one more Latin exam to go next Friday :O And that's my last exam!!! How did you find it?
Reply 30
Original post by lawrencefrape1

To my absolute astonishment I fount the prose ok! Prose is def my most hated so very relieved its over and there was no question I couldn't answer! Some of my classmates struggled with the bit in sagae where it asked "how did the witches get to him?" But thank god I had revised that!!! :-)
Reply 31
Original post by the-black-lotus
I'm sorry but I find that slightly offensive, I go to an academy that used to be a comprehensive and I do Latin.

I'm sorry I really didn't mean for it to be, I was just trying to sum up that there are not as many people who take Latin so I couldn't find many other threads and wanted to open one for people who don't always enjoy Latin! Sorry :-)
Original post by aliciaa1997
I found it better than expected actually! :smile: Just one more Latin exam to go next Friday :O And that's my last exam!!! How did you find it?

Fine I think. I might have lost one or two marks on the 8 marker and the one about the effect of the man's words on Thelaphron, I wasn't too sure about.
Original post by Soph31
I'm sorry I really didn't mean for it to be, I was just trying to sum up that there are not as many people who take Latin so I couldn't find many other threads and wanted to open one for people who don't always enjoy Latin! Sorry :-)

It's fine, I guess I sort of missed what you meant :smile: feeling prepared for verse?
No revision for the Verse yet, but I start tomorrow. I know a bit of the text already + how to analyse it and I know what happens in it roughly
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 35
I'm doing sources instead of verse so I will have to start revising for that sometime soon!

Quick Reply