Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

This is part of the question:

'To make the dilution of the filtrate, the volume of the filtrate (V1) must be calculated using the dilution factor of 1 in 500 given above.

Calculate the volume of filtrate that you will need to add to the volumetric flask (25mL) for a 1 in 500 dilution. '

The answer I got for this was 50 microlitres, which is correct as I had to make this up in class.

I then had to measure the absorbance of a sample solution at 250nm which gave me an answer of 1.220

I am now being asked for the concentration of dilution, how do I do this? The dilution factor is 1 in 500.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pacman1910)
    Hi,

This is part of the question:

'To make the dilution of the filtrate, the volume of the filtrate (V1) must be calculated using the dilution factor of 1 in 500 given above.

Calculate the volume of filtrate that you will need to add to the volumetric flask (25mL) for a 1 in 500 dilution. '

The answer I got for this was 50 microlitres, which is correct as I had to make this up in class.

I then had to measure the absorbance of a sample solution at 250nm which gave me an answer of 1.220

I am now being asked for the concentration of dilution, how do I do this? The dilution factor is 1 in 500.
    Don't you have to measure the concentration on the x-axis and the absorbance on the y-axis for a few different concentrations, then create a line or curve of best fit, and then either extrapolate if the absorbance isn't within the range of concentrations that you've selected?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.