Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! I want to study psychology at UCL, this has been the dream for years. I wholeheartedly believe that I am academically capable, but I have some strange circumstances that I'm worried could really jeopardize my application.

I'll just get right into it: I was previously a Scottish student and in 3rd year/year 10 I was moved up to 5th year/year 12 and sat Intermediate 2 exams (slightly harder than GCSE level, but not as good as the Scottish Higher or an AS level). The year after, I was still sitting "sixth form" exams. These are the grades I came out with, baring in mind I sat all these exams early at the ages of 14 and 15:

When I was a year 10:
    Int 2 Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies - B
    Int 2 Biology - A
    Int 2 Chemistry - A
    The year after:
    Int 2 Maths - B
    Int 2 English - A
    Higher Human Biology - B
    Higher Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies - A
    Higher Philosophy - A

Both the Bs at Int 2 were appealed grades as I originally got Cs due to exam conditions.

Obviously by this point I was already in a weird place in terms of uni applications because I had a different education to most, if not all Scottish students applying. It gets weirder now, because I left home and moved to England. I'm now in year 12 and am doing AS English Lit, Biology and Psychology, as well as the Extended Project and another AS in Philosophy that I'm self-studying. I plan to take all of those to A2 and also take on AS Chemistry next year.

I have a lot of "extenuating circumstances" as well including an extremely abusive background which is largely the reason I left home.

So the question is, assuming that I do actually get the grades I hope to get (all As), do you think I actually stand a chance? I'm worried that the unis I apply to may think that they don't have enough evidence of my being a good student because I have so few qualifications compared to your usual applicant. It's bad enough that three of them are Bs. The other unis I'm thinking about are Exeter, Bath, Bristol and Cardiff.

I have spoken to my school (which is a grammar) about this worry and they have kind of just brushed me off. They have made a point out of not inviting me to Oxbridge information events, so clearly think that my circumstances have ruined my chances of that standard of university. UCL is certainly not very far behind, so you can see why I am freaking out. I've tried emailing admissions but I've received no reply.

Sorry this is so long-winded, I just wanted to give as much background info as possible. I know that no one can give definite answers but I feel like I've been kept in the dark throughout all this so any input at all would help. Please be brutally honest with me - if you think I really don't stand a chance, do tell!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi victoryrose,

Have you had a look at our information pages for prospective students? They detail the 2015 entry requirements for every degree programme at UCL. Information about the Psychology BSc can be found here. You can also get in touch with the Psychology Department, using the contact details to the right of the page, if you have any further questions.

Entry to most UCL courses is competitive, but if you have (or are predicted) the grades required for the course you want to study then we would encourage you to apply.

You might also be interested in some of the Summer Programme activities we are running for current Year 12 students. These range from 2 hour masterclasses to 7 day residential summer schools, and are all designed to give you an insight into what it is like to be a student at UCL. There are eligibility criteria for these activities, but we are happy to have a chat with you about these if your complex circumstances make it difficult to work out if you are eligible or not. If you have any further questions, please feel free to drop us a message.

Hopefully this is helpful for you!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.