Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I've established I have a degree of lactose intolerance, do I do anything? Watch

ReputationRep:
    For a while now I've been suspecting myself of having lactose intolerance. I always get achy, sort of squeezy stomach pains after eating any decent amount of cheese, so this last week I tested it by eating a large bit of a block on two separate days: Unsurprisingly, the pain stuck the nights of both attempts, and at this point I'm certain it's no coincidence. To clarify, it's annoying and slightly cringe-worthy pain, and it lasts a few hours, but it isn't extreme pain per se. It's also accompanied by some other symptoms, but I'll let you off mentioning those. I can still eat cheese in moderation, and I've not noticed it consuming any other foodstuffs, although I don't consume much milk etc so that could also be a factor of that.

It doesn't affect me largely to be honest, and I can even ignore the pain when it comes.

Just to be clear, I'm not _certain_ that it's not something else, but it's definitely to do with consuming cheese, and from what I can figure, it's almost definitely lactose intolerance.

Basically I'm asking if I need to:
    1- See a GP about this to confirm (I don't see the need, but perhaps there's a similar thing that's more serious that's worth checking out)
    2- Write this on forms that ask if I have a special dietary requirement? (I don't see why since I can't imagine a place giving me a plate of cheese and being annoyed that I didn't mention it beforehand)

I'm fairly confident the answers are no and no, but I just want to get some peer opinions just to put my mind at ease. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Just avoid eating too much dairy, and for the times you can't, buy these and have them to hand
    http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pag...il.asp?pid=518

A lactose intolerance means you lack the lactase enzyme to help break down lactose, these tablets add them back to your digestive system for when you want cheese or ice cream or whatever. My partner is lactose intolerant and these do work. If you have these, you don't really need to do anything.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, thanks for the tip! I didn't even know that you could buy lactase tablets

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2014
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.