The Student Room Group

Girlfriend turned vegan - do we have to break up??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Qari
If she can't be asked cooking meat for you then don't cook veggie food for her.

maybe then she'll understand and be willing to come to a compromise

stupid reason to break up though.

every relationship has a test this is yours

Good idea.
I've been vegetarian since I was 10 and I still buy and make bacon for my boyfriend when he's here.
Short solution: Finish them.

Long solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loGUVsG1yMM

If this doesn't fix the problem within a day see short solution.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 142
Original post by BlackMagicV
Good idea.
I've been vegetarian since I was 10 and I still buy and make bacon for my boyfriend when he's here.

Thanks
Don't mean to offend but why don't you like meat?
Original post by Qari
Thanks
Don't mean to offend but why don't you like meat?

I just didn't like the idea of animals being killed in the manner they are and being farmed as they are :/
Also, I accidentally ingested a tiny bit of meat last summer and ended up chundering blood because my body can't handle it any more (sorry, that's gross!)
I just didn't like the idea of animals being killed in the manner they are and being farmed as they are :/
Also, I accidentally ingested a tiny bit of meat last summer and ended up chundering blood because my body can't handle it any more (sorry, that's gross!)

Still a disgusting excuse for a human being :wink:
You need to eat more bacon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 146

What do you mean killed and farmed as they are?
It's ok. BTW what does chundering mean?
Original post by redferry
You must hang out in pretentious circles.

All the vegans I know I didn't find out until I ate with them. They're some of the least judgeentasll people I know.

...sorry, what?
Excuses, excuses. You can get enough protein from a vegan diet. You just don't get vitamin B2.
Original post by abc101
Of course not. This is such a foolish thing to say. Cooking a veg*n meal does not in any way offend a meat-eater's principles. Cooking meat totally goes against a veg*n's ethics.

Why are you writing vegan as "veg*n"?

I keep reading it as veg'n (pronounced in my head as vej-n)
Original post by abc101
Of course not. This is such a foolish thing to say. Cooking a veg*n meal does not in any way offend a meat-eater's principles. Cooking meat totally goes against a veg*n's ethics.

You've missed the point. I wouldn't expect a vegan to alter their diet to suit me. But I would expect a vegan to show me the same courtesy and not expect me to alter mine.

And if I was paying someone's rent on the understanding that the person I was paying it for would do the cooking, I would expect to have some input into what was cooked. But of course I would be more than happy for them to pay their fair share and cook whatever they liked.
Original post by clh_hilary
Excuses, excuses. You can get enough protein from a vegan diet. You just don't get vitamin B2.

No one has said ever in this thread that you couldn't.

What I do have said, however:

1. Animal proteins have a better amino acid profile than vegan sources of protein.
2. I have never yet seen a succesful vegan bodybuilder. People have provided me links to sites with fit vegan people, but not proper bodybuilders!
3. I don't see how one could make a vegan meal that would contain similar nutrients to this example diet meal: 250g chicken with 200g broccoli, which provides nearly 70g protein with only 4g carbs. (just an example)
Original post by Jammy Duel
Still a disgusting excuse for a human being :wink:
You need to eat more bacon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know I am, but you seem to appreciate me despite that :wink:
ETA: Haloumi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get what I mean? :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Qari
What do you mean killed and farmed as they are?
It's ok. BTW what does chundering mean?

Basically I just find it cruel/sad. Chundering means vomiting/throwing up - lovely!
Original post by Anonymous
No one has said ever in this thread that you couldn't.

What I do have said, however:

1. Animal proteins have a better amino acid profile than vegan sources of protein.
2. I have never yet seen a succesful vegan bodybuilder. People have provided me links to sites with fit vegan people, but not proper bodybuilders!
3. I don't see how one could make a vegan meal that would contain similar nutrients to this example diet meal: 250g chicken with 200g broccoli, which provides nearly 70g protein with only 4g carbs. (just an example)

Google: Torre Washington
Reply 155
Basically I just find it cruel/sad. Chundering means vomiting/throwing up - lovely!

Ah right to each their own I guess :biggrin:
And sounds lovely as well :tongue:
Original post by snowyowl
Why are you writing vegan as "veg*n"?

I keep reading it as veg'n (pronounced in my head as vej-n)

'Veg*n' refers to vegetarians and vegans collectively.
Original post by Anonymous
Me and my girlfriend have been together for a year and have lived together for a few months.

She's always been a fan of vegetables but recently she decided to turn completely vegan. I have nothing against her views and totally respect her decision - it does not bother me what she eats. But this is not the problem..

The problem is, that in our household we have divided our tasks in the following way: I'm working full time, and earn most of the money for us. My girlfriend only works part time, but she cooks the evening meals and does most of the household chores. On the weekends, I cook and participate in all possible chores, so I feel we have equally divided everything. With her new thing, I also cook some nice vegetarian things along with other foods on the weekends for her to eat.

The problem is now that my girlfriend has decided she won't touch or cook meat anymore. This is really bad for me because I'm usually home only around 7:30pm after I've been to the gym after work and most of the time I'm starving. Now with this new vegan thing, she only cooks vegetarian meals, which means that I have to cook for myself. I'm a meat eater, and need a proper portion of meat to get the required protein. I'm more than happy to have some of her carrot soup for a starter, but I do need some proper food too.

This has made things really difficult for us and it's very exhausting to me. After a full day of work the last thing I want to do is start cooking, I want to relax. I like cooking, but just don't have the time and I can't eat ready meals every day, afterall, I'm a healthy eater.

I have told her this is very selfish from her. I'd be even willing to change so that I was working part time and did the cooking instead, but my job won't allow this. This has caused for us to argue for the last 3 weeks..

Is breaking up the only option if she won't change her habits?

I'm sorry to say you kind of do. A relationship is meant to be both ways. You've tried to adjust to her lifestyle but she can't for you. It does sound pretty selfish tbh.This may sound cheesy but follow your heart.
Can you live without her? She's everything to you? She loves her religion more than anything else?

Does she really care about you? I'm hoping you can find the right answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You think shes being selfish?!?! You OP sounds incredibly selfish.

As someone who has looked into veganism and is a veggie I can firmly understand her decision to avoid meat. I calmed down after a few years and will now cook it for friends/family if they come over but don't eat it myself.

If you didnt have a gf...how would you feed yourself? There is your answer. Cook for yourself, or perhaps be a little bit more open-minded to her new lifestyle. My bf was a carnivore before we met and he nows eat veggie meals 90% of the time. There are aome GREAT vegan/veggie recipes (btw is she vegan..or vegetarian? As you mention both but they're quite different).

She is probably going through a seriously mentally tough time right now if she has been opened up to the unethical side to being an omnivore. (Assuming its this). Try and understand where she is coming from and maybe you'll want to cut down on your meat intake aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest