Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Why is it against the rules to call out a troll Watch

ReputationRep:
    Look what kinda of a show you are puttin on here
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedArrow)
    While you may believe that someone's posts suggest that they're trolling, the moderation team are the appropriate people to assess this, in possession of the full facts about a given situation. It may well be that the posts that you believe to be trolling are genuine, and attempting to 'call out' trolling is just likely to lead to arguments and derailment of the thread.

If you suspect someone of trolling, or of breaking any other rules, you should just report the post and move on without replying. :yep:
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedArrow)
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    While you may believe that someone's posts suggest that they're trolling, the moderation team are the appropriate people to assess this, in possession of the full facts about a given situation. It may well be that the posts that you believe to be trolling are genuine, and attempting to 'call out' trolling is just likely to lead to arguments and derailment of the thread.

If you suspect someone of trolling, or of breaking any other rules, you should just report the post and move on without replying. :yep:
    Hi both,

Illusionary thanks a lot for explaining here

RedArrow is there something more you think we could be doing here?

Its a completely inconsistent rule and it seems rather petty because it doesn't actually cause any real damage. Its strange how I can call someone a moron and nobody bats an eyelid, yet mentioning the t word is a step too far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Its a completely inconsistent rule and it seems rather petty because it doesn't actually cause any real damage. Its strange how I can call someone a moron and nobody bats an eyelid, yet mentioning the t word is a step too far.
    Calling someone a moron would get you a card as well, so it is pretty consistent (IT all depends on if a mod sees your post,if you've been reported or not etc..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    the moderation team are the appropriate people to assess this,
    History would suggest otherwise. Saying something is true doesn't make it true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightBlueSoldier)
    History would suggest otherwise. Saying something is true doesn't make it true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you have any issues with moderation, Ask A Moderator is the place to raise them, not here. :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    Hi both,

Illusionary thanks a lot for explaining here

RedArrow is there something more you think we could be doing here?
    Hello She-Ra

Given that this is forum, you would appreciate that people with all sorts of opinions will gather and blather 24x7.

I will only want to address on 2 issues here:

1. Illusionary's claim that "the moderators are best to assess" who is doing what
    2.The incredulity surrounding the term "TROLL"

But given how sensitive/insecure the team is when put under scrutiny, and how I consider myself banned from AAM, I will not divulge further. Moving this thread to AAM is good as saving it in the Recycle Bin.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.