Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm set to start University this coming september and I am very concerned about my loans, I received my breakdown from student finance and the loans I am receiving do not even cover my accommodation, it will leave me with over £200 to pay myself and leave me £0 to live on. I've been told various options before:

Student credit card / overdraft - Bank will not give me either due to my credit score

Bank Loan - same as above I'm afraid

Getting cheaper accommodation - The campus is in the middle of no where there are halls and houses some en-suite and some shared, even though they are different types of rooms the price does not change one bit, I looked at private halls and there even more expensive. If I manage to find a house share that's cheap the bus to campus is £7 a day which I don't have.

I've tried various charitys and organisations locally in case someone could help but there's nothing, I called the university and I still need to pay £200 deposit for my room and they say they can,t offer any help with the cost.

Family help : Both parents do not work, mother is disabled and father is a carer, they barely have any money themselves,

I have no savings to fall back on, my only hope is to find a part time job but still traveling is going to cost and the city I'm going to live in is competative for student jobs.

I'm now concerned I won't be able to support myself at uni, and may be forced to leave.

Is there any options SF can help with, it feels like there's no where else to turn at the moment

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thankyou
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Has your application already been means tested? By this, I mean, your Notification Letter you received, did it show that you would also receive a maintenance grant as well as a maintenance loan?

Your funding isn't specifically for accommodation so the amount you are offered isn't based on what your accommodation costs. You can however use your funding for this, if required.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks for your help, I've applied for cpr and it was refused due to insufficiant evidence, I've sent off more evidence to be reconsidered and my entitlement letter came a few days later so I don't know if that's before or after the new evidence but it says I won't get a tuition loan or grant only maintenance,
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

You should call us on 0300 100 0607 to check if your recent evidence has been accepted.

Thanks

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.