Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    A force of (2i-j)N acts on a particle of mass 2kg. If the initial velocity of the particle is (i+3j)ms^-1, find how far it moves in the first 3 seconds.

I've used F=ma to find the acceleration, and v=u+at to find the final velocity, but not sure where to go from here? Sorry if this is relatively simple, having to self-teach most of m1!
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quirksy)
    A force of (2i-j)N acts on a particle of mass 2kg. If the initial velocity of the particle is (i+3j)ms^-1, find how far it moves in the first 3 seconds.

I've used F=ma to find the acceleration, and v=u+at to find the final velocity, but not sure where to go from here? Sorry if this is relatively simple, having to self-teach most of m1!
    v2 - u2 = 2 a s

You have u, v and a for each component, so you should be able to calculate s (displacement) using the above equation.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't know how to square a vector, find its magnitude and then go for v^2=u^2+2as
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quirksy)

s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2 so you don't need to find the final velocity.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your help everyone - got the right answer in the end!

ReputationRep:
    or you could use

s = .5( u + v )t
    • Study Helper

Can't say I like this question's wording.

The displacement after 3 seconds is an appropriate question for M1, and is clearly what they meant.

But how far it moves is asking for the length of the path traced out, IMHO, which is definitely not M1 level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Can't say I like this question's wording.

The displacement after 3 seconds is an appropriate question for M1, and is clearly what they meant.

But how far it moves is asking for the length of the path traced out, IMHO, which is definitely not M1 level.
    if the acceleration is constant then it will move in a straight line ?
    • Study Helper

(Original post by the bear)
    if the acceleration is constant then it will move in a straight line ?
    Only if the initial velocity is zero (there may be other special cases - not checked them all out).

In this case the displacement from t=0 onwards is (where x,y axes are the i,j components respectively):
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Only if the initial velocity is zero (there may be other special cases - not checked them all out).

In this case the displacement from t=0 onwards is (where x,y axes are the i,j components respectively):
    i see what you mean.

if the initial velocity is in the same direction as the acceleration then it would move in a straight line.
    • Study Helper

(Original post by the bear)
    i see what you mean.

if the initial velocity is in the same direction as the acceleration then it would move in a straight line.
    True. I think you've probably caught all the special cases there.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.