The Student Room Group

US Community Colleges Help?

Hello!
Can you tell me about community colleges and how they work? Also how much they cost (I've seen Miami Dade, LACC, Pierce College) And if they offer finial aid for non-citizens?

Thanks a lot

Miles:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Mileshooper
Hello!
Can you tell me about community colleges and how they work? Also how much they cost (I've seen Miami Dade, LACC, Pierce College) And if they offer finial aid for non-citizens?

Thanks a lot

Miles:smile:

It's basically a 2 year college people go to:

-Because 4 year colleges are too expensive
-Aren't able to get the grades required to get admitted into 4 year colleges

And the end of the 2 years you get what's called an associates degree which you can then use to transfer to a 4 year college so that you can obtain your bachelors degree. I'm not to sure about whether they offer financial aid but one thing i'm sure about is that they are inexpensive!
As the poster above said, they're a cheaper alternative for the first 2 years. They also accept basically anybody - it's not an intellectually challenging place (not in a good way, at least). They usually don't have dorms, clubs, or the Greek system, so there is not the 'community' feeling American universities are so proud of and famous for.
I'm not sure if they offer any scholarships to foreigners. They are, however, much cheaper than a regular US 4-year university.

My American kinda-sister started off at a CC and is now at the best medical school in the state. So it doesn't limit your options in the future :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending