Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now
    • Thread Starter

    This looked to be the right thread area to ask this question.

    I am currently in my fifth year in Scotland and I am about to sit my 5 Highers: Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Geography and English.
    I was thinking about what I wanted to study and - after lots of research into it - have decided I want to study Chemical Engineering and become one.
    Now, the only University close to me is Strathclyde and they offer two courses: 1) Chemical Engineering BEng Hons
    2) Chemical Engineering MEng
    I am aware that the first one is a Bachelors Degree and the second one is a Masters Degree. I want to apply, next year, for the Masters Course. For that they want, AAAAB (although it doesn't specify on first sitting). For the Bachelors they want AAAB (again it doesn't specify on first sitting).
    If I were to get into the Masters then that would be great. But, if I didn't get AAAAB by the end of sixth year and could only get into the Bachelors Degree, would - after I finished the four year Bachelors - I still be allowed to do the Masters Degree? That is what I want to know.
    Also, I take it that the Hons after BEng means that it also includes the Honors Degree?

    So, to recap: could I still do the Masters Degree for Chemical Engineering at Strathclyde if I only could get into the Bachelors degree? If I finished the Bachelors would I be able to apply to do a Masters Degree?

    Also does the above method put me at any sort of disadvantage against anyone else who got into the straight MEng course? In terms of the course and employability.
    Of course I will try to get into the Masters course, but it was just in case I wasn't able to.
    Also, are the required minimum grades for first sitting or just overall?

    I know it is a big question but all help would be fully appreciated.

    P.S. In my sixth year I would be planning on doing: Advanced Higher Mathematics, Advanced Higher Chemistry, Higher Physics, Higher Philosophy (the 2 Highers would both be crash). Would these help me at all in gaining entry or anything along those lines?

    You should probably email your question to the university, but it is usual at most universities for students to be able to swap between BEng and MEng up until the second year, as long as their grades are good enough.

    As long as you're hitting 2:1s you will have no problem. If you perform poorly on the MEng you will drop into the BEng anyway.

    If you end up with an MEng nobody will be asking which route you took (i.e. BEng or MEng).
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.