This discussion is closed.
misty
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Define Specific Heat capacity, and show an awareness of the principle of its determination by an electrical method.

Anyone know what this electrical method is? Just to hopefully point me in the right direction?
GeneralGrievous
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by misty)
Define Specific Heat capacity, and show an awareness of the principle of its determination by an electrical method.

Anyone know what this electrical method is? Just to hopefully point me in the right direction?
presumably the electrical method would be to stick a heating element (usually a rod of some sort) into a known mass m of copper (or another suitable metal), driving a constant current I through it at a constant potential difference V for a certain time t, measuring the difference in temperature T for the copper. the energy supplied to the copper E = IVt. by the SHC formula, E=mCT, so IVt=mCT => C = IVt/mT
hornblower
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by misty)

S.H.C. is the energy change when 1 kg of substance has its temperature raised by 1 K. It's symbol is c units are J K^-1 Kg^-1.

According to the first law of thermodynamics: heat lost = heat gained,

so: Electrical work = Heat gained by substance

therefore: IVt = mc(delta theta)
_ELiTeCaRR_
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by GeneralGrievous)
presumably the electrical method would be to stick a heating element (usually a rod of some sort) into a known mass m of copper (or another suitable metal), driving a constant current I through it at a constant potential difference V for a certain time t, measuring the difference in temperature T for the copper. the energy supplied to the copper E = IVt. by the SHC formula, E=mCT, so IVt=mCT => C = IVt/mT
i did this for coursework at A2 and got very good in it, if you need any of my coursework i'll quite happily send it to you
_ELiTeCaRR_
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
( To Misty )
MAGICJIM
Report 15 years ago
Hey if u GuyS n gAlz need soome help with Any questions i know a good webpage WhiCh will create programs for u which can Be created however u want, all you have to do is email what you need. there are samples on it.

www.geocities.com/softpro101
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (409)
43.6%
No (98)
10.45%
I'm not old enough (431)
45.95%

Watched Threads