Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (review included!) Watch

• Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    As many of you may well know, Diablo III's first expansion, Reaper of Souls, was released for the PC a few weeks ago. Having put a fair amount of time into the expanded game, I thought that some you might appreciate it if I shared a review of the game with you here.

Once you've had a read, please do post and share your thoughts on the game - have you picked up the expansion yourself, and if so, what do you make of it? If you're not getting it, why not? I'd be very interested to hear opinions from others here, and perhaps we can get a good discussion going about the game.

Without further ado, here's my review :yep:

ReviewDiablo III’s arrival on PC in 2012 brought its fair share of controversy – while it had many fans, the introduction of the auction house for trading between players (with either in-game gold or real money) and online-only status attracted many critics. Since then, a series of patches improved the game in various ways, but the release of the Reaper of Souls expansion was preceded by a huge patch, overhauling of a number of key elements on the game.

The auction house has been closed, the loot system and ‘paragon’ end-game levelling system have been reworked and the approach to difficulty levels overhauled – no longer is it necessary to play through the game on successively harder difficulties to reach the meat of the content. There’s also a more accessible crafting system and many other more minor changes. Overall, the result is a much-improved, more rewarding game, which presents a very strong foundation for Reaper of Souls to build upon.

So, what does Reaper of Souls bring to the Diablo III experience? The headline additions are a new act, a new character class (the Crusader) and a new way of playing the game as ‘Adventure Mode’.
    Reaper of Souls' cinematics live up to Blizzard's usual high standards

Wanting to get straight into the new content, I started off by jumping into Act V with my level 60 wizard. The new Act sees players travelling to Westmarch, in pursuit of the fallen archangel who has stolen the soulstone used to contain the world’s Prime Evils. It’s a desolate place and the game expertly captures this atmosphere as you journey through environments including deserted towns, graveyards and temples, with new enemy types ranging from bone dogs to more typical demons. That’s not to say that the game’s depressing to play – far from it, being filled with demon-slaying action throughout.
    Battles remain as frantic as ever

The environments are filled with smaller one-off optional ‘events’ that complement the larger quests, feeling much more frequent than they did in the pre-expansion game and each bringing worthwhile rewards. A few setpiece boss battles also punctuate the fights with the enemy hordes – though numbering only three in total, it would have been nice to see these being a little more frequent or more developed, as none of them feel overly special. There’s certainly a good challenge from some of them, though, especially the final boss of the Act!

I’ll not go into any spoilers here, but the new Act’s plot is fairly typical Diablo. The CGI cut-scenes that develop key plot points demonstrate Blizzard’s usual high production values, but there’s nothing too notable about the plot of the Act. The ending leaves things too open for my liking, but it does at least close out the new points introduced in Reaper of Souls. It’s clear that Blizzard is keeping its options open for a likely second expansion at some point.

For those wanting to start the game afresh, experiencing all of the new mechanics with a new character, the new Crusader class offers a notably different experience and playstyle from the existing classes. It’s a defensively-focused, primarily melee class, with access to holy magic to supplement those core skills. For those with experience of Diablo II, it’s quite similar to the paladin from that previous game, and there’s definite fun to be had in levelling up a new character from scratch.
    Crusading with a new character in Act V, thanks to Adventure Mode

How you go about that levelling process – now extending out to a new cap of 70 – could completely change with Reaper of Souls, though. This is where Adventure Mode comes in, which may well be the change with the greatest impact for many players. In this new mode, unlocked for all of your characters after completing Act V with any character, the act-by-act progression and questing system are dropped and the full scope of the game’s five acts becomes available from the outset, with all waypoints available.

Instead of quests, Adventure Mode offers a choice of ‘bounties’, which are area-specific challenges usually focussing on clearing an area of enemies or going after a specific named boss. These change each time that you load a game (from within a limited, but wide, pool), with gold and experience rewards on completion of each. There’s a lot of variety here and it allows players the choice to level and build their character in a way that most appeals to them.
    Adventure Mode's map presents bounties across each Act

Completion of each bounty also brings the chance of a ‘rift keystone’ reward (with increasing probability at higher difficulties). Collect five of these and you can use them to open up a ‘Nephalem rift’, another feature exclusive to Adventure Mode. These do away with the structured environments and enemy groupings of the rest of the game, instead constructing new areas from the game’s full selection of tilesets and enemies. As a result, each rift offers a new, unpredictable challenge – and of course, this being Diablo, there’s the enticement of new loot rewards upon completion!
    Bounties bring additional quest and experience rewards

As for that loot – well, the main change here has already come from the pre-expansion patch, but there’s a good selection of new ‘legendary’ rewards here to go after. In all honesty, there doesn’t seem to be a great need to improve things too much here over and above what the (free) patch had already done. This has brought Diablo III back to what its core experience should be about, the ongoing search for new and better items, and making your character the best that it can be. It’s a very rewarding mechanic, and as addicting as ever.
    The new 'Mystic' artisan expands the possibilities for improving your loot

And that’s a good summary of what we have with Reaper of SoulsDiablo back at its best, rewarding players at every turn. An excellent addition to the game in every day, which gets my full recommendation.

9/10
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Good review! For me, Diablo 3 quickly ran out of steam on release but I'm really considering trying the new expansion after my exams are over.

I did notice though that I wasn't able to bind my movement to a key other than left mouse button after the patch. Is this intentional? I used to move by hovering over the location and pressing spacebar.

A bit weird playing any other way now and I couldn't find how to change it! Out of interest what is the relevance of gold now, I guess it has more uses in crafting now with the removal of the auction house?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkProbio)
    Good review! For me, Diablo 3 quickly ran out of steam on release but I'm really considering trying the new expansion after my exams are over.

I did notice though that I wasn't able to bind my movement to a key other than left mouse button after the patch. Is this intentional? I used to move by hovering over the location and pressing spacebar.

A bit weird playing any other way now and I couldn't find how to change it! Out of interest what is the relevance of gold now, I guess it has more uses in crafting now with the removal of the auction house?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the complement Yep, if you've enjoyed Diablo III at all before, Reaper of Souls is the perfect way to rekindle that.

I assume that the restriction to key binding is deliberate, but hadn't previously seen any mention of it. However, if you scroll down the list a bit further there's a "force move" action that's unbound by default - you can bind this to the spacebar, which should have the desired effect.

Following removal of the auction house, gold gets used for crafting, yes, plus there are artisan and stash upgrades that require gold (as well as various materials). There's also the matter of repair costs, of course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Thanks for the complement Yep, if you've enjoyed Diablo III at all before, Reaper of Souls is the perfect way to rekindle that.

I assume that the restriction to key binding is deliberate, but hadn't previously seen any mention of it. However, if you scroll down the list a bit further there's a "force move" action that's unbound by default - you can bind this to the spacebar, which should have the desired effect.

Following removal of the auction house, gold gets used for crafting, yes, plus there are artisan and stash upgrades that require gold (as well as various materials). There's also the matter of repair costs, of course!
    Ah that could be why, thanks I'll look later!

I think what spoiled it for me before was that you were very unlikely to find an item that you couldn't improve on the auction house. It made grinding feel less rewarding but I gather that's not the case anymore. Just need some free time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkProbio)
    Ah that could be why, thanks I'll look later!

I think what spoiled it for me before was that you were very unlikely to find an item that you couldn't improve on the auction house. It made grinding feel less rewarding but I gather that's not the case anymore. Just need some free time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Very much not the case any more :ahee: http://www.diablowiki.net/Loot_2.0

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking forward to playing diablo again without the auction house. I always did hate the auction house and 90% of the reason I quit playing was because it felt like an auction house simulator.

ReputationRep:
    I've just got this game and the expansion. I'm enjoying it so far playing on hardcore on hard difficulty after loosing my first HC character (lvl 20) to a lag battle. :sad:
    I like hard mode. My first character was played on normal (though died in a party at expert) and felt really OP.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I've just got this game and the expansion. I'm enjoying it so far playing on hardcore on hard difficulty after loosing my first HC character (lvl 20) to a lag battle. :sad:
    I like hard mode. My first character was played on normal (though died in a party at expert) and felt really OP.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    :console:

One of the reasons why I've never really done much in hardcore mode :sadnod: Glad to hear that you're enjoying the game!

ReputationRep:
    :console:

One of the reasons why I've never really done much in hardcore mode :sadnod: Glad to hear that you're enjoying the game!
    Haha, it's all good. You live, you learn.

I played a lot of D1 and D2 back in their days, and I just fancied more of a challenge. In normal mode, I always found myself not caring if I die, knowing I cold just respawn and carry on the fight as I left it. Playing Hardcore adds a tactical element to the Diablo series which I've never really needed (especially starting a Lvl1 char on hard). It's also a lot more intense! :yep:
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Haha, it's all good. You live, you learn.

I played a lot of D1 and D2 back in their days, and I just fancied more of a challenge. In normal mode, I always found myself not caring if I die, knowing I cold just respawn and carry on the fight as I left it. Playing Hardcore adds a tactical element to the Diablo series which I've never really needed (especially starting a Lvl1 char on hard). It's also a lot more intense! :yep:
    Just wait until you try it on Master or Torment

ReputationRep:
    Just wait until you try it on Master or Torment
    :lol:

I'm hoping I'll be quite a high paragon level by then (seriously, I'm level 14 or 15 after the Skeleton King!) and have some good loot! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I came back to D3 just before ROS expansion came out and with the Loot 2.0 patch where you get more relevant drops to the char your playing etc it was sooo much better, then I got the expansion and its like a whole new game compared to the way it was before; its really good. I've finally got a main char which is a demon hunter, I tried the crusader but it doesn't really fit my playstyle I guess. Will try hardcore one day right now I'm trying to get some decent items/stats on all my chars

ReputationRep:
    I'm now in act 2, just opened up the secret door behind the waterfall with the two levers, I'm level 35 and really enjoying it now.

Set my Monk to use the Mantra of Conviction. When active, the 7-Sided Strike and Wave of Light attacks are just awesome against hoards. Been playing with a friend a lot (a level 34 wizard last time I saw him - but he works weird hours so may be higher now). I run in to the middle of a hoard and hammer from there, he sits on the outside and rains down magical hell on them. Lovely. Deadly.

Name:  monk.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  75.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    Maybe we could make a TSR clan ?

or ppl could add me @ Sorf#2589

here's something on the future for diablo 3 players, a new game mode type apparently it was in older diablo games but I never played them will be coming in patch 201 or something. Sounds cool and I bolded a bit which I liked

Tiered Rifts
    Spoiler:
    Show

"You have a timer to finish a Rift (kill enough monsters to draw out the boss and slay the boss) and the better you do, the more challenging the level that you get to tackle. For example, if you finished a Tiered Rift in just a few minutes, you’d get to jump ahead to a much harder rift. "Seasons (Ladders) and Tiered Rifts will be the major features of the 2.1 patch
    Seasons will have Leaderboards and Legendary items that drop only within the Seasons games

When a Season ends everything transfers to your normal roster of characters

Tiered Rifts will let you unlocked further Rifts as you beat one, which become progressively harder
    There are Leaderboards for Tiered Rifts as well as vanity rewards

The PlayStation 4 version of the game will launch with everything up to patch 2.0.4
    Most of the Diablo 3 development team is still on board with Reaper of Souls

anyway some patch news here if people are interested:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Huge changes are on the way for patch 2.0.5:

• Horadric Caches will have a bigger chance of dropping a Legendary item
    • Torment-only Legendaries will be added to their loot table
    • Rift Guardians will drop more Blood Shards for each level of Torment past the first

http://www.diablofans.com/news/48043...will-also-drop

• Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shodann)
    Maybe we could make a TSR clan ?

or ppl could add me @ Sorf#2589
    I'll happily get one set up if there's a decent amount of interest. Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    I died.

Level 57 vs Mathail.

:sad:

Time to start again! :awesome: Not sure if I'll stick with the monk or try something new. I really like the way the monk plays tbh. My kind of character - fast and does good damage.

ReputationRep:
    Never tried Diablo always been a WoW fanboy but it looks very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Games good and i got my moneys worth tenfold but at 900k-1million dps(t3). My character progression has ground to a halt.
    Only way to improve is by rerolling every items enchant to the perfect roll(absurdly expensive and frustrating) or hunting for class specific set items. If d3 wants to be as awesome as d2 they needs something other than farming to keep us entertained imo.

ReputationRep:
    Why do they bring these things out just before the exams? They did the same with Starcraft II.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTit)
    Games good and i got my moneys worth tenfold but at 900k-1million dps(t3). My character progression has ground to a halt.
    Only way to improve is by rerolling every items enchant to the perfect roll(absurdly expensive and frustrating) or hunting for class specific set items. If d3 wants to be as awesome as d2 they needs something other than farming to keep us entertained imo.
    Read my post slightly above or check on the diablo forums for "Tiered Rifts" including ladders they will be a future implementation, there's also a few other rumours things like legendary gems apparently and such; so there will be new things coming afaik right now they are trying to balance the game in terms of bounty vs rift farrming and normal vs torment farming etc as well as looking at elemental bonuses which will come in patch 2.05. Whilst Tiered rifts and ladders etc will come in patch 2.1

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.