Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Would you class me as a 'resitter'? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so in quick summary - I was pulled out of my as exams as my doctor contacted my school and we reached the decision that I'm not in a good state to sit my exams sooo.... I haven't sat any papers really

next year I'll be doing AS again, still doing biology and chemistry and 2 other different AS levels then this years combo so the question is:

would you classify me as a resitter or?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeilahDeere)
    Okay so in quick summary - I was pulled out of my as exams as my doctor contacted my school and we reached the decision that I'm not in a good state to sit my exams sooo.... I haven't sat any papers really

next year I'll be doing AS again, still doing biology and chemistry and 2 other different AS levels then this years combo so the question is:

yes but under extenuating circumstances, not because you're not capable of good grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryinglightning)
    yes but under extenuating circumstances, not because you're not capable of good grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thank you, stupid question, but do unis have different classifications as to what they see as an extenuating circumstance?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

Well if you haven't done any exams, then no you aren't a resitter. However, you will be repeating year 12 and unis might want to know about what you did in the extra year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryinglightning)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What exams has she sat for you to classify her as that?

OP, you'll just be retaking the school year - and as you haven't sat any of the exams, the results you'll receive next summer will count as your "first sitting" you won't be a victim of the "Resit policy" of any uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princess Bubbles)
    Well if you haven't done any exams, then no you aren't a resitter. However, you will be repeating year 12 and unis might want to know about what you did in the extra year.

thank you! So do UCAS ask to set what education you attending in all your years or do I put this year down as a gap year or? thanks for the answer though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatitootoo)
    What exams has she sat for you to classify her as that?

OP, you'll just be retaking the school year - and as you haven't sat any of the exams, the results you'll receive next summer will count as your "first sitting" you won't be a victim of the "Resit policy" of any uni.
    it is a bit of a grey area i suppose and thank you! do you know if this will count towards medicine too?

ReputationRep:
    it is a bit of a grey area i suppose and thank you! do you know if this will count towards medicine too?
    From what you've posted, I honestly don't see why anything could be held against you for any course. But it would be a good idea to e-mail some universities
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    thank you! So do UCAS ask to set what education you attending in all your years or do I put this year down as a gap year or? thanks for the answer though
    If I remember correctly, you don't need to put down what you did every year. You only need to put the qualifications and when you sat them/expect to sit them. I only mention it as they might ask at interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princess Bubbles)
    If I remember correctly, you don't need to put down what you did every year. You only need to put the qualifications and when you sat them/expect to sit them. I only mention it as they might ask at interview.
    aah thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatitootoo)
    From what you've posted, I honestly don't see why anything could be held against you for any course. But it would be a good idea to e-mail some universities
    thank you lots

ReputationRep:
    Basically just contact your school about any possible paperwork regarding your mitigating circumstances and even the most elite universities will not penalize you for being a year older

(You'll probably just need to hand a doctors note to your exam officer / head of year)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    Basically just contact your school about any possible paperwork regarding your mitigating circumstances and even the most elite universities will not penalize you for being a year older

(You'll probably just need to hand a doctors note to your exam officer / head of year)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you very much, do you mind if I pm you?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much, do you mind if I pm you?
    Knock yourself mate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    Knock yourself mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
    pm on the way

ReputationRep:
    If you've been at school/sixth form for the majority of the academic year then I think it would be a big stretch (read: lying) to call it a gap year. You will likely be seen as having taken three years to complete A-levels if this is the case, but you'll just have to contact individual med schools, informing them of the situation and asking whether you'll be disadvantaged in any way if you apply.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard of some stipulations along the lines of 'you must have sat your A-levels within a period of 2 years', for some universities and graduate schemes. It's comparatively rare, though, and I imagine they're referring to resits.

Edit: Your case definitely falls under the umbrella of 'mitigating circumstances', so you just have to let the concerned parties know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    If you've been at school/sixth form for the majority of the academic year then I think it would be a big stretch (read: lying) to call it a gap year. You will likely be seen as having taken three years to complete A-levels if this is the case, but you'll just have to contact individual med schools, informing them of the situation and asking whether you'll be disadvantaged in any way if you apply.
    yeah it's sort of been too far in the year to call it a gap year i suppose, thank you though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iridescenzo)
    I've heard of some stipulations along the lines of 'you must have sat your A-levels within a period of 2 years', for some universities and graduate schemes. It's comparatively rare, though, and I imagine they're referring to resits.

Edit: Your case definitely falls under the umbrella of 'mitigating circumstances', so you just have to let the concerned parties know.
    yeah i did think that within a 2 year period it would be alright but i'll have to double check, thank you for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    Okay so guys I need a little help and advice, following on from this current situation, this is a chance for me to think about uni and sixth forms etc. If I was still to take biology, chemistry (and most likely two other humanities) I should more or less still be applicable for medicine however, I've had a deep think whether my new sixth form was for me.
    This has left me with three options:

1) Stay at my current sixth form: it's a very academic sixth form but will only make me applicable to nottingham and east anglia so only 2 universities, this sixth form do make things very hard but when it comes to UCAS they make the most of it to help you get into uni.

2) Move back to my old school: I've had problems here and it would take me a while to settle back in, this makes me eligible to apply to nottingham, east anglia AND kings college london making it 3! However, the school isn't very academic and is quite an art/theatre/sporty school and they've never handled a medical applicant before which makes me worried if I do end up applying in the UCAS cycle.

3) Move somewhere else (parent recently got a new job in norwich (near east anglia I believe) and start fresh in a completely different sixth form, however this puts me back down to 2 options, east anglia and nottingham again so..

what shall I do? sorry for the essay, but I feel that now is a good time to make decisions, I will hopefully be applying abroad as my back up.

Thank you in advance as to whoever ends up reading this

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.