Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm completely new to big theta notation, but have an idea of what it is/doing. I'm trying to show the following is equal to big theta(n^2).

4!+k\sum\limits_{z=5}^n z .

so I think I need to show:  k_{1}|n^2|\leq4!+k\sum\limits_{z  =5}^n z\leq k_{2}|n^2|

where the  k_{1} k_{2} are constants. But I'm not really sure what to do next. Like I said I'm totally new to this. Any help would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    *Sigma

ReputationRep:
    So I solved the above inequalities giving me:

k_{1} \leq \frac {4!+k\sum\limits_{z  =5}^n z)}{n^2} \leq k_{2}

But then all I can tell from this is that as n tends to infinity the fraction tends to 0...

Also if I set n=5 then the summation just becomes from z=5. Given that z starts at 5 in the first place, I think the minimum value that n can be is 5...

ReputationRep:
    bump.
    • Study Helper

(Original post by maths learner)
    bump.
    Not familiar with the big theta notation, but from a quick google, you're interested in the behaviour as n tends to infinity.

Also, I presume you're familiar with the sum of integers formula.

The fraction doesn't tend to zero.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Not familiar with the big theta notation, but from a quick google, you're interested in the behaviour as n tends to infinity.

Also, I presume you're familiar with the sum of integers formula.

The fraction doesn't tend to zero.
    Hi, yeah its basically bounding it from above and below. Yeah i do, but obviously it will need to be adapted since we start at 5 and not 1... Bit confused why it doesn't tend to 0, I'll have another look.

Opps. Just noticed it will tend to 1/2 won't it? The ratio of the powers of n.
    • Study Helper

Opps. Just noticed it will tend to 1/2 won't it? The ratio of the powers of n.
    The ratio of the n^2, yes. And the factor "k" too.

Don't know how familiar you are with limits, but what I'd do is divide everything through by the n^2 and then let n tend to infinity, leaving just the k/2.

ReputationRep:
    The ratio of the n^2, yes. And the factor "k" too.

Don't know how familiar you are with limits, but what I'd do is divide everything through by the n^2 and then let n tend to infinity, leaving just the k/2.
    makes sense. So the limit is then k/2. So we are left with:  k_{1} \leq \frac{k}{2} \leq k_{2} . As n tends to infinity...
    • Study Helper

makes sense. So the limit is then k/2. So we are left with:  k_{1} \leq \frac{k}{2} \leq k_{2} . As n tends to infinity...
    Yep. And you're done - the limit is k/2. There's no necessity to find values of k1,k2, unless you've been asked to.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. And you're done - the limit is k/2. There's no necessity to find values of k1,k2, unless you've been asked to.
    Thanks. But then I don't understand how that shows that its growing at a rate of n^2. Which is what big theta shows...
    • Study Helper

Thanks. But then I don't understand how that shows that its growing at a rate of n^2. Which is what big theta shows...
    \Theta shows/says (as does this working) that it is growing at a rate proportional to n^2, and in this case the constant of proportionality is k/2. And it's constant for any given k.

ReputationRep:
    \Theta shows/says (as does this working) that it is growing at a rate proportional to n^2, and in this case the constant of proportionality is k/2. And it's constant for any given k.
    Ahh, got it. Thanks very much for your help.
    • Study Helper

Ahh, got it. Thanks very much for your help.
    :cool:

And ta for the rep.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.