Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have some HTML, CSS and PHP skills, and I want to put it to good use.

I want to buy my own domain and host it, and I have no experience whatsoever.

Firstly, if I code the website in an IDE, then how do I upload this code.

Where can I buy a good package? I want to code the website myself, and I don't mind paying.

Ideally, I want to build websites for myself to show my portfolio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by po10tial)
    Hi,

I have some HTML, CSS and PHP skills, and I want to put it to good use.

I want to buy my own domain and host it, and I have no experience whatsoever.

Firstly, if I code the website in an IDE, then how do I upload this code.

Where can I buy a good package? I want to code the website myself, and I don't mind paying.

Ideally, I want to build websites for myself to show my portfolio.
    I'm no web dev, but I've had some experience.

I've gotten by without fancy IDEs, notepad++ does the job for me. So you've got the right idea on getting yourself a domain & hosting. Once you purchase hosting, you'll be given login details to a certain aspect of your domain, which is typically www.yourdomain.com/cpanel - you login to your cPanel and you can configure lots of stuff there.

From your cPanel you can set yourself an FTP account, so you have an FTP account with a username&password. You then grab yourself a nice little FTP client like CoreFTP (free) and enter your website's details, including that new FTP's username&password. Once you've logged in, you drag&drop files from your computer to the server (your website's directory). You would typically dump them in the public_html directory. Alternatively, there is a file manager within your website's cPanel where you can (rather long woundedly) upload files straight from there.

I wish I could recommend you an IDE, but I can't. Hopefully someone here can. If Frontpage counts, I used that years ago :-P. When I joined up to Krystal Hosting for my website, they gave me LOADS of tutorials on how to do such simple things like transferring files and setting up email accounts with my domain etc. They always respond within 0-12hours MAX on their ticketing system. Highly recommend them.

ReputationRep:
    Notepad++ is fine, as is Sublime Text (which is what I use).

ReputationRep:
    As you have said, you need to purchase hosting and then a domain name. I have no affiliation what so ever, but I`ve always used 34sp.com - they are reasonably priced and are UK based and very reliable. Once you have purchased the hosting you will have a public http folder. You then stick in your index.html file in there and whatever is on there is your homepage! - done. That all said, you day pay for hosting - around £5-6 a month for anything decent (reliable, trustworthy) and then £10-20 for 2 years of a domain name (they are all 2 years, no idea why)

A really cool alternative would be to host your own site which is very easily done!! I recently purchased a £30 Raspberry Pi, I installed light TPD web server and your raspberry pi hosts a website locally on your home network! Its exactly the same, drop your website and index files in the /var/www folder and go to the ip address of your raspberry pi and your website is live in your home! You can even access it from the outside world by opening up the port on your home router and using a dynamic DNS server to track your ip! I`ve done it and it worked. There are lots of tutorials out there and for £30, its great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by craynerd)
    As you have said, you need to purchase hosting and then a domain name. I have no affiliation what so ever, but I`ve always used 34sp.com - they are reasonably priced and are UK based and very reliable. Once you have purchased the hosting you will have a public http folder. You then stick in your index.html file in there and whatever is on there is your homepage! - done. That all said, you day pay for hosting - around £5-6 a month for anything decent (reliable, trustworthy) and then £10-20 for 2 years of a domain name (they are all 2 years, no idea why)

A really cool alternative would be to host your own site which is very easily done!! I recently purchased a £30 Raspberry Pi, I installed light TPD web server and your raspberry pi hosts a website locally on your home network! Its exactly the same, drop your website and index files in the /var/www folder and go to the ip address of your raspberry pi and your website is live in your home! You can even access it from the outside world by opening up the port on your home router and using a dynamic DNS server to track your ip! I`ve done it and it worked. There are lots of tutorials out there and for £30, its great.
    Do you have a link to your RPi's server? Would be good to see what the speeds were like.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I suggest you actually make a website before you even think about buying a domain. Play around with HTML/CSS, a bit of PHP if you want, play around with jquery maybe (that is what makes websites interesting). Set yourself a project, go on github.com if you want to borrow some code off other open sourced websites.

When you're ready to buy a domain (doesn't matter where you buy it from, godaddy.com was cheapest for me), login to where you buy your domain from, and point the domain to your I.P address..

If your I.P address isn't static, and keeps changing (because of your silly broadband provider), then you'd have to point it to the changed IP address each time. A good solution to this would be DNS management services. Google 'noip'

To turn your computer into a server, you can install Apache. Google Apache and they'll take you through it. It's usually just installing it and editing the http.conf file, where you can direct it to the folder you've stored the website in.

I am new to web design too, drop me a question if you're struggling, perhaps we can help eachother out.

ReputationRep:
    I can offer you webhosting and domain for a affordable price, just PM me on here.

I can provide plans to suit your hosting needs if you let me know what you need.

My network runs cPanel Control Panel and can be managed by you aswell as the domain is fully controlled by you.

ReputationRep:
    Probably the best way you can host your stuff (not just website) is done by renting a VPS. They don't cost much, especially from DigitalOcean, and you have full control over everything. This does require some Linux and command-line experience, however and you need to be able to install a webserver (such as lightTPD) and PHP if you plan on using that. There are plenty of tutorials for configuring all that if you don't know how to .

For your VPS you will be given SSH access so you can basically run anything from lightTPD to Bukkit to your own VPN. You can also configure these applications how you want. For example, I have several domains and subdomains that, when navigated to in a webbrowser make the server serve different content. I also have a VPN on my VPS for my private browsing needs and can also run my website alongside of it. It's a pretty swell setup .

ReputationRep:
    Most simple way use wordpress.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.