The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
Wenger does seem to prefer physically imposing strikers who play with their back to goal tbh. Henry and RVP are basically the two exceptions to this, and it's interesting to note that neither arrived as out and out strikers as such.

Kanu, Adebayor, Bendtner, Chamakh, Giroud, Sanogo etc all fit the target-man preference, so Mandzukic/Bony probably fit the bill. Tbh I would be very happy with either.

From that last 6 ,only Giroud and Adebayor have been some what sufficient tbh as Chamakh was average at best, Bendtner let his ego take over and Sanogo still needs to develope a lot more. I haven't seen Kanu play too much so can't really comment.

Thierry Henry and RVP were way more than just your average strikers. Henry started off as a CF didn't he ( or am I mistaking him for some one else).
It will be a long time before we can expect another player like these two but with our current system and style of play, it's not such a bad thing as it would have been in the past.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Isometrix
Depends on what your definition of a challenge is.

For me only City and Liverpool challenged for it all the way to the end. Arsenal were out of it by March.

We were still mathematically in it in April so yes we were contenders. We also led the league for 128 days. Contending is contending, it doesn't mean you have to be in a last day battle for the title, it means you were for a decent amount of time within means of winning it.

Arsenal, Chelsea, City and Liverpool were the title contenders this year.
Original post by Pete_91
We were still mathematically in it in April so yes we were contenders. We also led the league for 128 days. Contending is contending, it doesn't mean you have to be in a last day battle for the title, it means you were for a decent amount of time within means of winning it.

Arsenal, Chelsea, City and Liverpool were the title contenders this year.

I'm with pete on this

To be fair, Liverpool weren't even contenders for a large part of the season
Before we played arsenal at Anfield, we were 8 points behind

It was the 11 game winning streak that put us up there - we got closer than arsenal, but they were more consistently challenging for the title than we were.
I would take Milner

#Squaddepth

u think our frail midfield will last a whole season let alone 2 months next year..see what happened this season,injury after injury in our midfield...everybody was injured ffs
Scored 15 I reckon GQ could have got 22+ goals easy if he stayed fit

irrc he had 13 goals by the end of november, didn't score in december then got injured

man like GQQQQQQQQ
Milner is very underrated IMO. I think he's better than Henderson, very reliable. He's **** on the wing but if you played him in CM you'd see a different Milner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kruz
Milner is very underrated IMO. I think he's better than Henderson, very reliable. He's **** on the wing but if you played him in CM you'd see a different Milner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree - he is wasted at city
He would do well at any other top premier league team except chelsea, simply because he'd get regular games.

I think him and henderson are different in a few crucial ways in an attacking sense
But I would say that Milner has a higher general quality
However when henderson is on form and has a good game, he can be invaluable to a team.
If we took on Milner then I'd really hope he is only used as a substitute/squad depth since out of out optimal XI the only person worth taking off for Milner is Arteta.

You have to take into consideration wether he would fit into our style of play as well. I don't think Wenger will go for him especially since all these 100m spending rumours are coming to alight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
From that last 6 ,only Giroud and Adebayor have been some what sufficient tbh as Chamakh was average at best, Bendtner let his ego take over and Sanogo still needs to develope a lot more. I haven't seen Kanu play too much so can't really comment.

Thierry Henry and RVP were way more than just your average strikers. Henry started off as a CF didn't he ( or am I mistaking him for some one else).
It will be a long time before we can expect another player like these two but with our current system and style of play, it's not such a bad thing as it would have been in the past.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Henry was a LW.

We need a team of strong but technically gifted players.

Our midfield is the best in the PL.

We just need a quality striker - a big strong quality striker.

A class Cb/Rb if Sagna goes.

SELL 2-3 players, make 40Mill-50, and then spend 70m-80, so excess spent is 30m-40m net spend.

Buy the said striker/rb/cm/sb for the 70

Just a word guys, if we still had van-persie, we would have won the treble.

Van persie
Ramsey
Carzola, Ox, Ozil,

Flamini
Gibbs Mert Koscielney Sagna

scnezny

Subs:

1. Wilshere
2. Arteta
3. Walcott
4. Rosicky
5. Podolski
6. Vermalen
7. Giroud
8. Jenkinson

We do not need an Overhaul mr Phil Mcnulty, we only need two players, three at most

Arsenals british players: Walcott, wilshere, oxolade chamberlin, gibbs, jenkinson,
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zainabahlulbayt

:toofunny:

Arsenals british players: Walcott, wilshere, oxolade chamberlin, gibbs, jenkinson,

Did Wales secede from the UK last night?
(edited 9 years ago)

This pretty much is what Giroud is tbh

plus Sanogo is our Lukaku

We just need a quality striker - a big strong quality striker.

A class Cb/Rb if Sagna goes.

SELL 2-3 players, make 40Mill-50, and then spend 70m-80, so excess spent is 30m-40m net spend.

Buy the said striker/rb/cm/sb for the 70

Just a word guys, if we still had van-persie, we would have won the treble.

Van persie
Ramsey
Carzola, Ox, Ozil,

Flamini
Gibbs Mert Koscielney Sagna

scnezny

Subs:

1. Wilshere
2. Arteta
3. Walcott
4. Rosicky
5. Podolski
6. Vermalen
7. Giroud
8. Jenkinson

We do not need an Overhaul mr Phil Mcnulty, we only need two players, three at most

No, we need more than 2 or 3 players, we are already light on numbers in some positions.

Sagna is off so we need a replacement, 1.

Fabianski as we'll, 2.

Another CB especially if Vermaelen goes. We were incredibly lucky this season with our CBs not being injured for a lengthy time, 3.

Flamini & Arteta are not good enough to be our holding midfilders. Both ageing and games are just passing Arteta by, 4.

We need a proper almost old school left winger with pace and trickery. The reason it's been so difficult the second half of the season is because we lacked the pace to get in behind, 5.

I world class striker to take Olivier's place in the starting XI, and if not, someone who is good enough to rotate with Giroud without it having too much of an impact on the way we play, 6.

So a new GK, RB, CB, DM, LW & ST of a standard either similar to what we already have or above said quality in certain positions are required at the bare minimum if we are to push on in the league and CL.

The lack of a quality striker didn't stop us from winning the league but rather the lack of depth in other positions that showed once our starters were injured.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
As well as players we also need a manager who sets up tactics before the games and does the necessary preparation before the big games. Someone like Simeone, Martinez, Klopp etc.
Original post by what is this
As well as players we also need a manager who sets up tactics before the games and does the necessary preparation before the big games. Someone like Simeone, Martinez, Klopp etc.

:rofl2:

GTFO
Original post by Stalin
:rofl2:

GTFO

Can you please refute what I've said? As I don't think I've said anything which is wrong. I seriously do think we need in a manager who sets up the team to play to their oppositions weaknesses and strengths, especially against the big boys or else we will continue to be trashed in the big matches.

Actually even take the match on Saturday, we should count our lucky stars that we were playing Hull and not Man city or Chelsea because we'd be 4 or 5-0 down in the first 10 minutes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Can you please refute what I've said? As I don't think I've said anything which is wrong. I seriously do think we need in a manager who sets up the team to play to their oppositions weaknesses and strengths, especially against the big boys or else we will continue to be trashed in the big matches.

Actually even take the match on Saturday, we should count our lucky stars that we were playing Hull and not Man city or Chelsea because we'd be 4 or 5-0 down in the first 10 minutes.

Simeone, Klopp and Martinez have been discussed at length here - they aren't moving.

Give up.
[video="youtube;WN32yWaNn04"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN32yWaNn04[/video]
Original post by Stalin
Simeone, Klopp and Martinez have been discussed at length here - they aren't moving.

Give up.

OK, I was talking about someone in their mould.

And surely even you can't disagree with my assertion that Wenger is tactically clueless, it took him about 70 odd minutes on Saturday to notice Giroud was being man marked out of the game, Arteta was sitting too deep, Podolski and Ozil were being wasted on the wings having no space and Ramsey had no one to aim for before reverting to 4-4-2 which made us more dangerous and direct.

Also

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-sign-karim-benzema-lars-3568130

Benzema isn't coming.

Bender isn't coming

Kalou might be coming though

Very fickle view imo.

The away heavy defeats have only been a trend of this season only really.

Latest