The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Loat
Can't be in the same group as another team from the same country, surely?

No no ofcourse not bit my point stands :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also guys 25 years ago in the 78/79 we won an enthralling cup final 3-2, our first trophy in eight years, a period in which we relied on young players and nearly got relegated. The following season we blew the title with 4 games to go, and lost 2 cup finals within a week. We played over 70 games that season. The 79/80 season was very nearly the greatest season in the clubs history but we made the fatal mistake of not building on the foundation of blossoming winning team. The manager Terry Neill eventually left 3 years later through "mutual consent".

Do you think we will improve on this? To be honest if you told me we'd be in a commanding title position next year and in final in two cups I'd be pretty ecstatic. Hopefully we too do not make the fatal mistake of not building on the foundations of the success of this season. Although with Wenger, Kroenke and Gazidis still in charge I'm not betting much on a lot of change happening. Hopefully I'm proven very wrong.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Loat
Can't be in the same group as another team from the same country, surely?

pot one and two can't draw nations from the same country - three and four can be, I think.
Original post by what is this
we should thank united for how bad they were this year - UEFA just announced that as they failed to make the CL at all, we stay in Pot ONE, otherwise we would have fallen into pot TWO with one of Porto, Real Madrid (and/or atheltico), , Barca, Dortmund, PSG in our group from pot one, and possibly, liverpool from pot three and Monaco from four .

with that kind of draw, Thursdays were a dead cert - but now, we can revel in the "we're still in the Champions League until the 2L of the last 16 in February''

As it is, we could still get - Us, Juve, Liverpool and Monaco....hmmm

Pot I
Real Madrid
FC Barcelona
Bayern Munich
Chelsea
Benfica
Atletico Madrid
*Arsenal
*FC Porto

Pot II
Schalke
Borussia Dortmund
Juventus
Paris Saint-Germain
Shakhtar Donetsk
Basel
*Zenit St. Petersburg
Manchester City

Pot III
*Bayer Leverkusen
Olympiakos
CSKA Moscow
Ajax
*Napoli
Liverpool
Sporting Lisbon
Galatasaray

Pot IV
Anderlecht
*Salzburg
Roma
*Steaua Bucarest
*Celtic
*BATE Borisov
*TBA
AS Monaco

looking at Pot Two I'm pretty confident our days in Pot One are numbered - City, PSG and Juve will see to that if they make the quarters and we don't...

I disagree, Porto and Benfica should be beneath us and we should really be trying to displace Chelsea (if we are serious about substantially improving our squad this summer)
i don't want us to play bayern munich for at least 4+ years
i swear we have played those bastards 5 times in 12 months

I rather face any team than play against muller and neur again the smug faced *****.

half that team look like they could be 1970's bond villains

muller
neur
ribery
robben
basti
kroos

faces u just want to punch.

the gawd was filled with glee watching modric and dem man finish those ***** last month

demolished them
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you guys rate Schneiderlin? Would you want him at Arsenal?
Benfica would be tougher than Napoli

we won't ride on them like we did rafa and his men at the emirates thats for sure
Original post by De Chirico
Do you guys rate Schneiderlin? Would you want him at Arsenal?

Rate yes

Want no

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well scrap that, team from same countries cannot be grouped together.
Worst case scenario would be dortmund, napoli and monaco in the same group
The group of death this year will be amazing.

Imagine Bayern, Roma, PSG and Liverpool.

Since Liverpool are pretty much confirmed to get at least a 3 way group of death(unless they get benfica/porto) then I think some other english group will get one.

Anybody who's in a group with Madrid is peak though.
Monaco are quite interesting really I think they'll do quite well next year and even better in a few

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5072
Original post by what is this
we should thank united for how bad they were this year - UEFA just announced that as they failed to make the CL at all, we stay in Pot ONE, otherwise we would have fallen into pot TWO with one of Porto, Real Madrid (and/or atheltico), , Barca, Dortmund, PSG in our group from pot one, and possibly, liverpool from pot three and Monaco from four .

with that kind of draw, Thursdays were a dead cert - but now, we can revel in the "we're still in the Champions League until the 2L of the last 16 in February''

As it is, we could still get - Us, Juve, Liverpool and Monaco....hmmm

Pot I
Real Madrid
FC Barcelona
Bayern Munich
Chelsea
Benfica
Atletico Madrid
*Arsenal
*FC Porto

Pot II
Schalke
Borussia Dortmund
Juventus
Paris Saint-Germain
Shakhtar Donetsk
Basel
*Zenit St. Petersburg
Manchester City

Pot III
*Bayer Leverkusen
Olympiakos
CSKA Moscow
Ajax
*Napoli
Liverpool
Sporting Lisbon
Galatasaray

Pot IV
Anderlecht
*Salzburg
Roma
*Steaua Bucarest
*Celtic
*BATE Borisov
*TBA
AS Monaco

looking at Pot Two I'm pretty confident our days in Pot One are numbered - City, PSG and Juve will see to that if they make the quarters and we don't...

Two teams from the same country can not be in the same group, so no - we will not have Liverpool.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5073
Original post by AR_95
Monaco are quite interesting really I think they'll do quite well next year and even better in a few

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it'll take a few years for them to become a force, especially in the champions league. I think maybe by 2016/17 season. It'll probably be the same as city, when they broke the bank for players they didn't shoot up immediately.
Reply 5074
Original post by jam278
The group of death this year will be amazing.

Imagine Bayern, Roma, PSG and Liverpool.

Since Liverpool are pretty much confirmed to get at least a 3 way group of death(unless they get benfica/porto) then I hink some other english group will get one.

Anybody who's in a group with Madrid is peak though.

It would be brilliant to see how Liverpool do in the group of death lol. I hear time and time again that

"Liverpool know how to win the big games"

"Liverpool rise to the occasion"

"Liverpool can beat anyone on a big night"

With Liverpool, if they don't make the right signings this summer, they'll go back down. Even with the last tranfer window, the signings that they bought in really didn't settle in. The players that literally carried the team were the ones that already played for them. If the likes of Sterling, Sturridge or Suarez have a dip in form, or they get hit by injuries (likely to happen when you got champions league, premier league, FA & Capital one cup) then they'll seriously suffer and it could really diminish their morale.

With United likely to strengthen next season, that could be a huge problem for them
Original post by Zürich
Carlos Vela has given another interview saying he expects Arsenal to activate the buy back clause, and says he'd welcome it. I would say this is very likely to happen tbh.

He's not going to the World Cup either so there isn't really an excuse not to get this done asap.
Original post by little_tom
He's not going to the World Cup either so there isn't really an excuse not to get this done asap.

But Wenger is though
Vela, Walcott, AOC and Ramsey for wing depth would be ridiculous.
UTD are gonna go beast mode then fall out after a year. It's ago Van Gaal is, he has a history of turning up to clubs and instantly winning trophies. You heard it here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5079
Original post by AR_95

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really doubt it. Highly inexperienced and have penchant for dropping points against teams they should deal with easily.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest