The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peggles_*
If your nickname is 'Tarmac' and deemed a term of endearment, I dread to think what would actually be classed as abuse. Maybe it's just that 'Scouse Wit' that I can't quite get with!

Football world was a horrible place in the 80s, from what I've read. People pissing in stadiums regularly, police regularly abusing their powers and physically intimidating fans, regular crushes at football matches, racism ****ing everywhere, there were a lot of problems. It may be a bit of scouse wit, but Liverpool fans were never (from my reading) racist to John Barnes. He's one of the most loved and respected Liverpool players ever, and pretty much was from the word go. Probably the most naturally talented player we've ever had (including Suarez) and he was a shoo-in for the Ballon D'Or at some stage had English teams been allowed to play in Europe. We really did and do love him, never a bit of racism.
Reply 961
Don't forget Avery Coffey, who got into 5 out of the 8 Ivy League schools.

Like Lupe said, It's hood now.

White people, be scared. We taking over everything.
Original post by matchdayG
Tarmac wasn't a racist nickname at all - it was a reference to him being the black Steve Heighway, a legendary Liverpool player. It was rich praise for him early on in his career.

Opposition fans were notoriously racist against Barnes in the 80s and Liverpool fans were pretty much amongst the first to clamp down hard on racism (if only because their star player was black).

lol I'm not sure what rock you've been living under but Liverpool has historically been one of the most racist cities in England, and still is today
"Suarez should be put in a kernel." Discuss
Original post by 419
8 schools because of quota filling. Like damn logic there son. Now you're getting racist.

I heard its cos he does shot putt actually.

Original post by jam277
Man stop being so butthurt.

Definitely a quota filling thing, they just need to have some black people in so that they can add a 'caters for ethnics' page in their portfolio, alongside the 'caters for disabled' and 'caters for poor'.
Original post by 419
No word is racist. Context is.

Really really wish people would understand and accept this.

That's why the defense of Suarez doesn't stick. It's like saying "black is not a racist word in English, therefore to call somebody a black **** is not racist" which actually, a lot of people said around the time of that Terry/Anton stuff, as if the word black was just an irrelevant adjective.

Anyway, racists = retards, nothing new there.

This is a new low for straight up g, I thought trolling with mock-racism was something most people got over when they were about 12. Baconbutty, well it's not a shock from him tbh.

Worse thing is that there's no mods to clean this **** up.
Original post by little_tom
lol I'm not sure what rock you've been living under but Liverpool has historically been one of the most racist cities in England, and still is today

Black guy in liverpool checking in and confirming. He lives in London so I'm not surprised.

Good place but people look at you weird sometimes. Also I don't really appreciate people on a minibus bellowing we hate you ******* when I'm walking with my mates on a night out.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 967
Football world was a horrible place in the 80s, from what I've read. People pissing in stadiums regularly, police regularly abusing their powers and physically intimidating fans, regular crushes at football matches, racism ****ing everywhere, there were a lot of problems. It may be a bit of scouse wit, but Liverpool fans were never (from my reading) racist to John Barnes. He's one of the most loved and respected Liverpool players ever, and pretty much was from the word go. Probably the most naturally talented player we've ever had (including Suarez) and he was a shoo-in for the Ballon D'Or at some stage had English teams been allowed to play in Europe. We really did and do love him, never a bit of racism.

And he can thank you guys for that.

Pretty sure you guys were racist towards him.
Original post by little_tom

Indeed, ask Anthony Walker's family.
Akintunde Ahmad is more impressive than the other 2 mentioned in this thread

@BaconButty, why can't henry be classed as black :laugh:
Original post by e aí rapaz
That's why the defense of Suarez doesn't stick. It's like saying "black is not a racist word in English, therefore to call somebody a black **** is not racist" which actually, a lot of people said around the time of that Terry/Anton stuff, as if the word black was just an irrelevant adjective.

Anyway, racists = retards, nothing new there.

This is a new low for straight up g, I thought trolling with mock-racism was something most people got over when they were about 12. Baconbutty, well it's not a shock from him tbh.

Worse thing is that there's no mods to clean this **** up.

If you're suggesting that Suarez said 'negrito' in a racist way, then you're deluded. Negrito is commonly used in South America to refer to a black friend/person.

This is a debate I cba to have, it was done many times. I'll defend him to the end of the earth.

Obviously racists are retards.
Original post by 419

Thanks to these perennial victims/damsels in distress John Barnes didn't get his balon d'or. Only have themselves to blame. They'd probably have preferred dalglish to get it anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 972
Definitely a quota filling thing, they just need to have some black people in so that they can add a 'caters for ethnics' page in their portfolio, alongside the 'caters for disabled' and 'caters for poor'.

Nothing to do with him been in top 1% of student in US. And doing all the necessary extra curriculum bull****.

Black people doing well is obviously positive discrimination. If we lived in a post racial society, him getting in wouldn't even be news. But racist need to find something to be butthurt about.

I like positive discrimination.
Original post by 419

#wum

and never from anywhere that I've read (and I've read a fair bit on Barnes). Liverpool fans used to pick on Norman Whiteside a lot, but he was a United player. Tbh, no set of Liverpool fans will ever admit to being racist to John Barnes, but I've never read it anywhere. To suggest that without proof is just defamatory/libellious/bull****, whatever you want to say.

Indeed, ask Anthony Walker's family.

Stephen Lawrence murded in London aka London is a racist city.

You're all deluded Londoners. Any place outside London will seem backwards/racist/insert whatever adjective you want in comparison to London. Liverpool is not a more racist city than any other in the North.
Original post by jam277
Black guy in liverpool checking in and confirming. He lives in London so I'm not surprised.

Good place but people look at you weird sometimes. Also I don't really appreciate people on a minibus bellowing we hate you ******* when I'm walking with my mates on a night out.

If you were out with me, I would have punched the ****.
love tsr
matchdayG

let me ask you a question, because I think I know the answer

have you ever been to Liverpool?
Original post by 419
Nothing to do with him been in top 1% of student in US. And doing all the necessary extra curriculum bull****.

Black people doing well is obviously positive discrimination. If we lived in a post racial society, him getting in wouldn't even be news. But racist need to find something to be butthurt about.

I like positive discrimination.

Not sure to be honest. Let's pay a visit to our good friends over at the misc http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=161093833

Quite a few interesting responses.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DurhamXI
If you were out with me, I would have punched the ****.

Dickheads drove off as soon as they said it. If they were in close proximity and were close they'd have never done it though.

But yeah racism is an annoying issue.

Manchester is not as bad as Liverpool racism wise. Liverpool is bad because they got hit hardest by Thatcher and those old attitudes die hard. You get a bunch of disadvantaged uneducated people they'll start blaming others for their problems.
And I was wumming you guys over the quota filling, you fall too easily :rofl2:. Congrats to the kid and congrats to you for being the same race as him :rolleyes:

Latest