The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Once had a nightmare that Spurs knocked us out the CL lol
Original post by matchdayH
Lets talk summer...Jenkinson clearly not ready to step up yet... I presume neither is Bellerin, but haven't heard much of him. Ideally Sagna stays, not fussed if he leaves.I presume Diaby will actually 3-4 appearances next season. What is the situation of Madrid's Casemiro. Apparently he doesn't have a future at the club, with Xabi Alonso, Khedira, Modric, Illramendi and even Pepe ahead of him in the CDM slot. Has anyone seen much of him? Realisically what other CDMs are out there? Can't see Pogba coming back to the PL especially with Juventus seemingly winning silverware every season, but then again Arsene could pull out some French Connection. Gnabry, Walcott, Chambo. Enough? What are the contract situations of Lucas Moura and Stephan El Shaarawy? Would not even mind Cazorla going. Furious with his remarks of no ambition- doesn't step up all season, then complains no one else around him is trying. Like **** you. Diminutive prick.

Spoiler

Jenkinson needs to go out on loan if sagna stays, i think he is good enough to be our first choice if he can sort out his spacial awareness and general clumsiness issues. not too sure on casemiro tbh ive heard he's just lazy in training and got sold by sao paulo because our guy denilson took his place, might be rumours on the former though.thing is if arsene leaves this summer and we dont get 4th, we cant rely on wengers golden tongue lure players here which is probably one of the reasons ozil came to us.Them wingers are enough imo plus podolski as a squad player, if we were to get another winger id go in for julian brandt if leverkusen will let go of him (doubtful), if not then greizmann. but this is luxury on what we actually need.lucas moura is a dream, psg aint lettin go.cazorla should stay to interchange with ozil, we cant afford injuries next season, and even though cazorla is inconsistent hes capable of being a flat track bully shown in the west ham game.
Original post by what is this

And it's actually due to Wenger and Alex Ferguson's disgusting treatment of this competition in the past 10 years which has devalued it.

Winning trophies is more important than 4th place. Besides we just make the number in 4th place. What have we actually done with the highly coveted holy grail of the 4th place?

Buy players with the attraction of champions league? Nope. We still buy ****e like the Postman or Giroud and still go looking for bargain ligue 2 signings. Meanwhile Liverpool have bought Suarez, Sturridge, Henderson, Mignolet Tottenham Lloris, Eriksen and Vertonghen, Man Utd Mata all without the guarantee of champions league.

Do we kick on and do something in the competition? Nope we recieve our usual dicking in the last 16 and go out. We essentially only make up the numbers in the champions league. I could understand making 4th spot being more important if we were regularly making finals/semis of the Champions Leagues but we're so far off from that.

The only people who benefit from the top 4 are Gazidis, Kroenke and Wenger as it keeps up their cash flow.

I swear there should be rioting outside our clubs with the way us fans are being shafted year in year out. I've stopped attending any matches for well over a year now because I can't pay the highest ticket prices in the world to see Giroud miss a sitter, hold back his hair, stick his tongue out and stare at the sky, or to watch the extremely boring sideways passing Wengerball that we've adopted for the past 3 years ever since we sold RVP, Nasri and Fabregas.

Liverpool winning the league will show up Wenger and his lies that we can't compete with the sugar daddies Man City and Chelsea. Smart spending is all that's needed and we have loads of cash just sitting there in the bank doing nothing.

I dont think the FA Cup actually is devalued, it is what it is in a CL environment, the 3rd most important trophy with a fairly big gap to it or the title. Obviously every big team loves to win it, but it's not really what makes clubs like Arsenal dream either imo. The CL is the trophy that gives fans goosebumps. Ive seen Barcelona/Real/Juve/Bayern/BVB/Milan/Napoli live over the years because Arsenal are in the CL, and those are some of my fondest memories as an Arsenal fan even if weve never won it.

The CL is not just about the money, it is about the prestige. Arsenal are not short of a few bob at all and I agree the money would just be thrown into the bank with the other £150m odd, but clubs which arent in the CL are just worth less. How did people perceive Liverpool in recent years? How do you perceive Inter Milan these days? How will AC Milan be perceived next season?

And once you're out of it, it can take a long long time to get back into the swing of it. Look at City these last 3 years with all the talent they have struggling due to inexperience. Being in the CL is just a good habit and it's simply easier to win the CL if you're in the knockout stages every season then if you're learning the ropes in the group stage again.

Even in Wenger has a tendency to sign players who wouldnt necessarily demand CL football, it keeps our options open for when we do. Think Ozil. And I think we'll sign some more big players in the summer for which the CL is crucial. Not to mention the impact on the squad of not being in the CL. Players like Ozil, Ramsey, Koscielny, Walcott have to be in that competition for their own contentment. Look at how Suarez tried to force his way out of LFC over the issue last season.

Spurs, Liverpool had to take many risks on players when out of the CL. Spurs couldnt get Willian, they had to take a punt on Lamela. Chadli, Chirches, Capoue, Soldado? These are CL cast offs or punts. Liverpool as well were dealing with CL castoffs in Sturridge and taking big risks on the likes of Suarez(and he was a big risk at the time). It's worked out for LFC under Rodgers but it didnt for years before that. Andy Carroll, Downing? It wouldnt affect Wenger so much because he knows a rough diamond when he sees one, but if/when he wants to add established quality we wouldnt have a leg to stand on. Utd get away with it because they are Utd.

Agree that our style of football has become tedious and needs a big injection of pace, power and big game mentality.

Good thing is that we'll probably get top4 with 78 points and the FA Cup which is a good season in my book. And maybe next season with a striker and some power elsewhere, and a fully fit squad, we can push on and reach the CL SFs again!

Original post by what is this

Get in an ambitious manager who wants to win and buys smart. Plays with actual tactics on the field instead of crap like ''go out there and express yourselves'' which gives us boring sideways passing Wengerball.

Sounds like AVB.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 83
How much wenger aged is unbelievable, most be a very stressful job
Original post by matchdayH
Lets talk summer...

Jenkinson clearly not ready to step up yet... I presume neither is Bellerin, but haven't heard much of him. Ideally Sagna stays, not fussed if he leaves.

I presume Diaby will actually 3-4 appearances next season. What is the situation of Madrid's Casemiro. Apparently he doesn't have a future at the club, with Xabi Alonso, Khedira, Modric, Illramendi and even Pepe ahead of him in the CDM slot. Has anyone seen much of him? Realisically what other CDMs are out there? Can't see Pogba coming back to the PL especially with Juventus seemingly winning silverware every season, but then again Arsene could pull out some French Connection.

Gnabry, Walcott, Chambo. Enough? What are the contract situations of Lucas Moura and Stephan El Shaarawy?

Would not even mind Cazorla going. Furious with his remarks of no ambition- doesn't step up all season, then complains no one else around him is trying. Like **** you. Diminutive prick.

And whilst we're at it, Messi can replace Giroud.
Reply 85
Post.
Reply 86
This thread will actually last a few more months this time round
Original post by Setsuna
How much wenger aged is unbelievable, most be a very stressful job

Surprised he still has a full head of hair, never looked like he was balding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by manchesterunited15
Not injured, cup tied

Oh right, so they'll both be available for Sunday then.
Feels like ages since united last played a match, was your match postponed due to your opposition being in a cup competition or what?

Original post by SHOO
I think the media will give a lot more confidence then they already had against us. I mean to be fair, we should win on the weekend & the cup final with ease, especially with Ozil coming back in the team..

But I think all they hype + pressure will make them really confident

Yeah exactly. One of the Hull players, I think it was Curtis Davies after their Semi against Sheffield united said to the media "it's more pressure on Arsenal than us, we all know they haven't won anything for the past 9 years so we're looking to cause an upset". They ain't playing. But I'm sure we'll come through, even Ozil had his eyes set on Wembley since day one!

And speaking of Ozil, all I could think of was him yesterday when RM won the copa.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

And speaking of Ozil, all I could think of was him yesterday when RM won the copa.

Same, but then again he's very likely to win the FA Cup for us as well and that should make him right as rain. :smile:
lately I've been following Serge Gnabry's activity on instagram. He's one thirsty guy
Reply 91
Came on TSR last night after a terrible night, wrote some stupid things whilst drinking some more. R'ship in a mess and went out with the lads in Jesmond to forget about it. Forget about women, at least I will always have my Arsenal waiting for me.
Reply 92
Original post by DurhamXI
Came on TSR last night after a terrible night, wrote some stupid things whilst drinking some more. R'ship in a mess and went out with the lads in Jesmond to forget about it. Forget about women, at least I will always have my Arsenal waiting for me.

Women? You're clearly gay mate- admit it we're all cool with it on this forum :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shawn_o1
This thread will actually last a few more months this time round

Not with all these dupe accounts!
Reply 94
Original post by FKLW
Women? You're clearly gay mate- admit it we're all cool with it on this forum :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yaboy isn't. Although he's on a sabbatical.
Reply 95
Original post by jam277
Yaboy isn't. Although he's on a sabbatical.

Lol not yaboy who's on a pep ting and for some reason thinks I'm a tranny. Mean DurhamXI, he wants Zurich's **** ffs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Original post by FKLW
Lol not yaboy who's on a pep ting and for some reason thinks I'm a tranny. Mean DurhamXI, he wants Zurich's **** ffs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean that Yaboy ain't cool about him being gay.

Anyway to avoid derailing the thread. Who do Arsenal have this weekend. Also how would you guys feel when Arsenal get 4th. I would say and win the FA cup, but you never know with Arsenal.
Original post by Zürich
Same, but then again he's very likely to win the FA Cup for us as well and that should make him right as rain. :smile:

That's exactly what I thought thereafter. He did say last summer was the best of his life, I'm praying we carry on living up to that by winning the FA cup for him and the rest of the club.

Original post by DurhamXI

Sorry to hear about that. :frown:
Stick to football, stick to Arsenal. That should make you happy at least till the right woman for you comes around.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
That's exactly what I thought thereafter. He did say last summer was the best of his life, I'm praying we carry on living up to that by winning the FA cup for him and the rest of the club.

I see it the other way round, Ozil owes us trophies given his wages and transfer fee. Players like Sagna I see are owed a trophy, and of course Arsene himself.
Reply 99
Original post by jam277
I mean that Yaboy ain't cool about him being gay.

Anyway to avoid derailing the thread. Who do Arsenal have this weekend. Also how would you guys feel when Arsenal get 4th. I would say and win the FA cup, but you never know with Arsenal.

My bad.

Hull- warm up of FA cup final. When Arsenal get 4th it'll be a meh moment. When Arsenal lose (I hope :colonhash:) the final I think I'll genuinely cry tears of joy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest