The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

**** off media. It is fashionable to hate Arsenal, always has been. If George came back in some capacity I would welcome him back with open arms. Need some guts in this team.
Original post by 419
Don't bother replying to him. He needs attention.

i'm just being honest aren't i she's never watched luke shaw i haven't been watching him either so why is she trying to say gibbs has had a better season
Original post by DurhamXI

**** off media. It is fashionable to hate Arsenal, always has been. If George came back in some capacity I would welcome him back with open arms. Need some guts in this team.

Tbh, the points decution was due to a massive 21 man brawl at Old Trafford in our 1-0 win, and be won the league that season anyway so **** em!!

The media nowadays is dominated by Liverpool & Man U fans though so don't be surprised if they don't take too kindly to us cockneys! :rolleyes:
Reply 1563
Allow Martinez. Do not want a Moyes mk II. Wenger's staying so screw him.
Original post by Peggles_*
Tbh, the points decution was due to a massive 21 man brawl at Old Trafford in our 1-0 win, and be won the league that season anyway so **** em!!

The media nowadays is dominated by Liverpool & Man U fans though so don't be surprised if they don't take too kindly to us cockneys! :rolleyes:

1-0 to the Arsenal, they used to hate us for that. Ultimate footballing WUMs back in the day.
Reply 1565
Looking back at 'brawl' it just seem like a lot was made of nothing. I thought it was a 'mans' game then. Definitely has nothing on the battle at OT which for me remains one of the greatest moment on football.

How did we end up getting more points deducted than United- they had the history of brawling (Wikipedia) and it was Irwin who started the whole thing acting like the little man he is.

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zerforax
Do you guys think Wenger should stay for one more year and then Martinez should be poached from Everton? I can't see him leaving this summer but perhaps next year or the year after?

Martinez is painfully overhyped imo, he's inherited a very decent Everton side and brought them...to 5th. And with the help of a load of loan players. If City hadnt absolutely bottled the FA Cup final, then Martinez's recent achievements would be relegation. I think Arsenal can do better than him.

Want Wenger to stay at least another 2 years and then if things arent working out then go for Frank De Boer(with Bergkamp as no.2) if he's not already winning the CL at Barca by then. But I can see Wenger leaving next year if he doesnt go big in the transfer market and come close to the title/get SFs of the CL/win the FA again
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Martinez is painfully overhyped imo, he's inherited a very decent Everton side and brought them...to 5th. And with the help of a load of loan players. If City hadnt absolutely bottled the FA Cup final, then Martinez's recent achievements would be relegation. I think Arsenal can do better than him.

Want Wenger to stay at least another 2 years and then if things arent working out then go for Frank De Boer(with Bergkamp as no.2) if he's not already winning the CL at Barca by then. But I can see Wenger leaving next year if he doesnt go big in the transfer market and come close to the title/get SFs of the CL/win the FA again

It's obvious to see that he's improved the Everton side both in results and play.

Similarly Everton should probably be finishing 7th to 10th but he's getting them to overachieve.

You don't think Martinez could do to Arsenal what Rodgers has done for Liverpool?
Comparing Martinez to Rodgers is just silly.

Next year when Tottenham and UTD come back to their old selves Everton will be forgotten as far as top four contenders go. It's funny how their top 3 players are all loan players and and as soon as they leave, watch Everton place along side Southampton and Newcastle where they belong.

The only reason he's looked so dangerous is because of both UTD and Tottenham having a slump of a season. Again, him being praised for the faults of others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
It's obvious to see that he's improved the Everton side both in results and play.

Similarly Everton should probably be finishing 7th to 10th but he's getting them to overachieve.

You don't think Martinez could do to Arsenal what Rodgers has done for Liverpool?

Given the season that Utd/Spurs have had, I dont think 5th is all that amazing in all honesty. Yes he's improved Everton but he's always borrowed a £25m striker, a £100k/week midfielder and a Barcelona wonder-kid. It's exactly like how people treated Moyes at Everton imo, patronising EFC as some kind of Roy of the Rovers story when they're one of the biggest in England. Was different for Rodgers because he was vastly overachieving at Swansea whereas as I say Martinez needed a City bottle to avoid being a Championship manager.

As I say, I think very highly of De Boer at Ajax from a motivational, tactical and coaching perspective. He won his 4th consecutive title yesterday, and that's never been done before. He's basically the biggest open secret in European football.
(edited 9 years ago)
He HAS made Everton a better team. They've played good football this season. Martinez has a style suited to Arsenal. It's possible he could do very well for us. The trouble is, he's not proven anything much yet, especially not at a high level, which makes him a big risk. And we don't want to do a United.
Original post by Zürich
Given the season that Utd/Spurs have had, I dont think 5th is all that amazing in all honesty. Yes he's improved Everton but he's always borrowed a £25m striker, a £100k/week midfielder and a Barcelona wonder-kid. It's exactly like how people treated Moyes at Everton imo, patronising EFC as some kind of Roy of the Rovers story when they're one of the biggest in England.

As I say, I think very highly of De Boer at Ajax from a motivational, tactical and coaching perspective. He won his 4th consecutive title yesterday, and that's never been done before. He's basically the biggest open secret in European football.

Martinez has already achieved Everton's highest points tally (previously 65).

Surely he should be praised for being able to get those 3 on loan? Just means he's got a talented eye in the transfer market too.

Ajax should be walking the Dutch league each year anyway as the biggest club in the Netherlands.
Original post by AR_95
Comparing Martinez to Rodgers is just silly.

Next year when Tottenham and UTD come back to their old selves Everton will be forgotten as far as top four contenders go. It's funny how their top 3 players are all loan players and and as soon as they leave, watch Everton place along side Southampton and Newcastle where they belong.

The only reason he's looked so dangerous is because of both UTD and Tottenham having a slump of a season. Again, him being praised for the faults of others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

he's got them 6 points higher than they finished with last season with 2 games left to play id say thats a pretty substantial improvement :smile:
Martinez has already achieved Everton's highest points tally (previously 65).

Surely he should be praised for being able to get those 3 on loan? Just means he's got a talented eye in the transfer market too.

Ajax should be walking the Dutch league each year anyway as the biggest club in the Netherlands.

So did AVB with Spurs? He could have done with a few of those points last season to keep Wigan up probably :wink:
Not sure if getting Lukaku in counts as having an eye for talent tbh, every non-top5 club would have been in for him.

Not sure if you follow it, but Ajax were in a very bad way when De Boer took over. They hadnt won the title since 2004 and now he's won 4 on the trot. No one has ever done that man, not Cruijff, not Van Gaal, not Michels, not Beenhakker etc. The style of football is fantastic too. As well as that, he works very well developing young players and tactically he's very switched on. In the CL he's had his moments too.

100% sure De Boer will go right to the top in management.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't see why Wenger should leave. He guided the club through the period where he couldn't afford to spend in the transfer market. The club is pretty much out of that and the deals are coming in now, why would be not stick around and reap the rewards of his efforts.
Reply 1575
Original post by Zürich

Agreed...
I said it before...I would ideally give him 1 year...but that would never happen.
So 2 years max (although i fear the contract that's been written is probs for 3+ years)

This summer transfer window...and only this summer TW...if he does not buy a very good player that we need (yes the striker!) and possibly 2-3 extra additions (maybe in jan as well for that)...then he's got to leave...as much as it pains me to say it.

I'm saying to keep him on, because i feel this year was the first time when no big-time players were leaving, and he had the freedom..because of that, he was probably a little hesitant, and late more than anything,
There was also the case of having to offload all the deadwood, that was now a possibility!

So to that conclusion, this summer transfer windows got to be the big one, sort out medical issues, have everyone fit and ready for next season, and mount a serious title challenge (and if lucky with the draws, in the CL)
Original post by Zürich
So did AVB with Spurs? He could have done with a few of those points last season to keep Wigan up probably :wink:
Not sure if getting Lukaku in counts as having an eye for talent tbh, every non-top5 club would have been in for him.

Not sure if you follow it, but Ajax were in a very bad way when De Boer took over. They hadnt won the title since 2004 and now he's won 4 on the trot. No one has ever done that man, not Cruijff, not Van Gaal, not Michels, not Beenhakker etc. The style of football is fantastic too. As well as that, he works very well developing young players and tactically he's very switched on. In the CL he's had his moments too.

100% sure De Boer will go right to the top in management.

What's the story behind Zwolle beating Ajax 5-1 the other day in the cup final?
Original post by EmperorMustard
What's the story behind Zwolle beating Ajax 5-1 the other day in the cup final?

Oh man, what a bizarre game. Because the game was played at De Kuip(Feyenoord's ground) the Ajax hooligans decided they fancied some madness and were letting off flares before the game. Was a bloodbath outside the ground as well since Feyenoord's hooligans turned up too. Ajax went ahead nice and easy early doors but then it had to be abandoned for 30m as De Boer and the coaching staff pleaded with them to stop basically throwing flares and missiles onto the pitch. When it resumed Zwolle just went nuts from the get-go and attacked in waves. Dutch defending is absolute cack so this kind of thing does happen. Vermeer had a shocker in goal as well. 4-1 by half time. I think Zwolle were infuriated with the Ajax fans for being such ***** tbh and just went in on us.

Stunning upset though, fair play to Zwolle.

Hooliganism is still pretty big in Holland tbf, been to Ajax/Feyenoord myself and it was just nuts. Funniest thing though is that the Ajax guys absolutely burned the **** out of the grass on their stadium with the flares :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1578
Should've ended 8-1 as well. Those waves of attacks from Zwolle were just incessant. I fancied an Ajax comeback as well and nearly put 20 quid for them to win at 18/1. Thank **** Zwolle scored their 5th as I was about to enter it :tongue:hew:
Original post by 419
Should've ended 8-1 as well. Those waves of attacks from Zwolle were just incessant. I fancied an Ajax comeback as well and nearly put 20 quid for them to win at 18/1. Thank **** Zwolle scored their 5th as I was about to enter it :tongue:hew:

Yeah it was nuts man, Ajax's defence just lost their shape entirely and Vermeer was just flapping at everything. Some decent players at Zwolle tbf, Guyon Fernandez take a bow son. I didnt watch it live but it must have been crazy in real time

Ajax have a long history of taking batterings like this though, never rains but it pours.
(edited 9 years ago)