The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Health benefits of IF?

Not that I'd try it. Having only a small window to eat in a day isn't for me.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Health benefits of IF?

Not that I'd try it. Having only a small window to eat in a day isn't for me.

- Increasing lifespan.
- Increasing insulin sensitivity, which has many health benefits in and of itself. Of interest, the resulting increase in insulin signaling in the brain is thought to be how fasting/calorie restriction works to increase lifespan.
- Lowering blood lipids, triglycerides and other markers of metabolic syndrome.
- Fighting/preventing cancer. There is also some evidence that fasting before chemotherapy treatments can help reduce the negative side effects.
- Increasing growth hormone secretion (which builds muscle and burns fat).
- Normalizing expression of the hunger hormone ghrelin, thereby reducing appetite.
- Promoting brain and peripheral nervous system health by increasing neuronal plasticity and promoting neurogenesis, which has a large variety of effects such as boosting mood, memory, and mental clarity.
- Increasing dopamine production, thereby boosting mood and increasing anticipation and response to rewards (meaning we get more enjoyment from less food).
Increasing energy through regulating metabolic hormones.

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/06/benefits-of-intermittent-fasting.html

In more detail here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting/#axzz3B8dlWL4c

I do it purely because I struggle to maintain calorie targets on a cut if I'm eating throughout the day.
what's everyone's favourite breakfast on a cut?

inb4 oatmeal.
Original post by jam278
Just burn calories so you can eat some more.

Avoid going into starvation mode man. That's just not cool.

broscience
Original post by Deshi
'mirin gif usage above.

And I'm embarrassed for you mu15

Ivanovic has a weird face. Bouchard is hot though
Original post by barneystin
what's everyone's favourite breakfast on a cut?

inb4 oatmeal.

Muesli. :colonhash:

Figured that since rice is a good cut food should make a breakfast out of rice. Like mash/grind some rice , add some low fat milk, eggs and water...
Original post by Zürich
I'm pretty to the right, but this is a disgusting and detrimental ideology.

As if the tribes from the Afghan desert are going to respond to Anglo-Saxon values, which are the product of 1000s of years of very unique history. What right has anyone got to impose your beliefs on others anyway? Just leave people alone to find their own path!

Apologies for the delay. It's not disgusting, it's simply sensible. You look around a world embroiled in conflict and cannot help but think, if everybody was like the UK, the world would be a much much better place. Also if the world was entirely atheist, but that's a separate question.

The question to be asked is: who are these cultures good for? It's easy to sit in lavish Western countries such as UK/Switzerland and say leave them to it, but in many countries women and minorities are brutally persecuted because of local cultures. They need to be taught fundamental human rights.

You ask what right has anyone got to impose your beliefs on others, but what right has for example the Iranian or Saudi governments to force women and minorities in to things. I'm a Realist, the world relies on force, it's the only language these people understand, so we should speak that language.

Original post by Pete_91
It's not a country worth defending if it's bottom of the rest of the league tables. Having more than 100 nuclear weapons is a waste of time anyway as it's overkill. Nuclear weapon spending isn't that high in the US in fact it's falling. Either way it's a dumb argument to say defence spending is more important than say infant mortality rates or education or healthcare or the other 20 odd league tables they're doing awfully in.

I'm not all that surprised though because you're clearly a hawk and think that defence spending is what keeps the status quo in place (which is true to a degree), but it would help if America wasn't arming it's enemies-to-be (Taliban, Mujahadeen, Iraq under Saddam, Iran etc) and the kind of spending they undertake is unnecessary tbh. They haven't used nukes since the war and the won't use them in the middle east or anywhere else for that matter so not sure it's an argument worth having.

The US and its way of life isn't going to be defeated on the battlefield anyway so it's a pointless stick to wave at the rest of the world. The entire country is already undermined economically and the decline will be as apparent as it was with the British, French and Dutch Empires etc. i.e. it will be a slow and gradual economic decline that results in shrinking spheres of influence (with the rise of BRIC and the EU (if it sorts its own problems out)).

As for Jefferson being a hero, you should do more research on him, not the nicest guy on the planet and an avid slave owner in an area where abolitionism was pretty well established as prevailing opinion (among the elite). Read the book "The political depravity of the Founding Fathers : studies in the history of the United States" it's pretty enlightening on the actual history of the American founding. Madison was the real hero in America's history, but he is seldom remembered.

Of course, I'm not calling for full scale invasion of all non-Western countries, but when opportunities arise to do good we should take them, and not bow into this pacifist weak on defence left wing isolationist nonsense. People need to get over the Iraq War, move on, and we now need a full scale invasion and bombing campaign against ISIS. As a top American military general said this week, "It's pretty simple, we've just got to kill them". Because if we don't they'll kill us.

Simply put: West is Best. We're the dominant force in this world, and we will determine how events will play out. I'd back increases in the US/UK military budgets.

Nuclear Weapons certainly are worth having, in an ever more dangerous world we have to protect ourselves. Would you want a world where we don't have Nuclear Weapons but countries like North Korea and Iran get them. That would be truly terrifying. We need the capabilities (at a very last resort) to destroy these nations.

The United States of America will never decline and will never back down.

Jefferson was naturally a product of his time. It's unfair to say that everybody who supported slavery was a bad man because back then, the level of influence the South had was enormous. I'm aware of Jefferson's affairs, so sure there are some black spots on his resume, but you look at the good he did. It was his values that warned against the powers of the Federal Government. You needed that balance of Adams, essentially the big government man, and Jefferson the opposite. Jefferson had the vision to expand the United States. I make no apology for crushing weaker cultures either. It annoys me how stubborn people are, people clinging to their cultures despite a better way of life staring them in the face. I support Andrew Jackson in that sense. Madison was no doubt a terrific man, his Federalist papers were a work of art.
Original post by Eboracum
x

Ebo for prime minister?
I'd vote.
omg so dead :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh3eNR1ZEVfB6tjggS

50 Cent just killed another's persons public image. :rofl:

to people who have no idea what is going on, check out his instagram.
plug?
Reply 6250
Original post by jam278
Muesli. :colonhash:

Figured that since rice is a good cut food should make a breakfast out of rice. Like mash/grind some rice , add some low fat milk, eggs and water...

I hope this is a joke. Or I'll throw up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
I hope this is a joke. Or I'll throw up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You ain't heard of rice flour before?

Grinding rice, adding eggs, flour, milk and water and heating it up is basically like making a dough(without the oil in butter). I ain't tried it but in theory it should come out nice, in fact you could probably make a cake out of rice flour.
Original post by barneystin
omg so dead :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh3eNR1ZEVfB6tjggS

50 Cent just killed another's persons public image. :rofl:

to people who have no idea what is going on, check out his instagram.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLA

My man just destroyed him.
Man, Mayweather has got to do the challenge now. Tbh it is embarrassing, he didn't have the best time growing up and stuff, but he's got plenty of time to practise reading now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't hate on Floyd, respect him too much as a boxer. 50 Cent is funny though.
dont really care if russia invades ukraine, i just want

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
dont really care if russia invades ukraine, i just want

Most people aren't fans of the accent, I quite like it though.
Original post by Pete_91
Most people aren't fans of the accent, I quite like it though.

ginger bond girl would be sick

really hope scotland vote no, need these redheads lases in the uk !
(edited 9 years ago)

basically fascists, so so bizarre how we fudge the ira for killing....i would not blame anyman for killing here
(edited 9 years ago)
watch it from the very beginning der leben anderen

this is the best film ive ever seen. you can watch with subtitles

Latest