Yhh. you a fresher?
Original post by Isometrix
Yhh. you a fresher?

Yes and no, living from home

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IceJJFish(II)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good choice. The hustle is strong. You will not regret it later down the line.

Yhh. you a fresher?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg you guys should meet up. :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude you should have at least spent freshers in halls, and then live at home after that if you want.
Dude you should have at least spent freshers in halls, and then live at home after that if you want.

Bruh I'm Asian, you can go tell my parents that I'm moving into halls despite staying in home City :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tom_Ford
Good choice. The hustle is strong. You will not regret it later down the line.

Can confirm. I'm cashed up nowadays tbh mate, that loan is just luxury money for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Omg you guys should meet up. :ahee:

I don't like him, sorry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bruh I'm Asian, you can go tell my parents that I'm moving into halls despite staying in home City :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Shame man. Anything goes in halls, miss those times.
I don't like him, sorry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:lol: You crack me up.
Shame man. Anything goes in halls, miss those times.

Strict muslim crew anyway tbh so that's not me...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam277
Mans unemployed bruv

Get an internship and get connections. If you know a guy who knows a guy become best friends with them.

No worries bro. I'm in the same position the company are moving office so they got rid of me :lol:

I'm gonna apply for a couple grad schemes, think I can get onto one hopefully. Lloyds have a good grad scheme going but I need to research a bit more into that role.

That sucks man, actually worried about being unemployed for too long after uni, just seems like a ****ty depressive place to be from what people tell me, which is why i'm trying to be as proactive as possible.

Whats the long term plan for you then?
Original post by jam277
Na, I was going to do a masters originally but messed it up, I wasn't really in the correct frame of mind if I was being honest, lost a **** load of drive which tbh was like that since I finished year 12.

It's probably easiest for you to go to london, more graduate level jobs to do, and general jobs as well. Tbh I'd say live around outskirts of london and get a city job in the central, you'll have a cheap housing situation and can go into the City to do work.

Yeh but train tickets will cancel that out. A peak time ticket to London is like £45 per day.

Original post by Eboracum
I find this very interesting. Yeah. Basically I have two 3,000 word essays due on 5th Jan, just doing the essay plans for them now, once I get feedback I will start, but I want these banged out well before Christmas so I can start dissertation. When did you start writing? How many references did you have? How long did it take? I'm worried I'm out of my depth.

I used over 100, but that's primary sources, secondary sources, journals, archives, websites, I had 4 pages dedicated to references :laugh:

I wrote my first draft in like 2 weeks, after that it was just taking bits out and improving it with the help of my supervisor. Research was a PITA though, took ****ing ages, probably around 6 weeks but that's balancing my time with other commitments. Honestly once you get going it's fine, everyone thinks the dissertation is the scariest thing ever but it really isn't. Closing the word document for the last time and sending it to turnitin, before getting it bound and handing it in is one of the best feelings ever.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sr90
Yeh but train tickets will cancel that out. A peak time ticket to London is like £45 per day.

I agree but I mean outskirts as in where Oyster cards work. It'll be £10 a day tops if you're doing pay as you go.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
That sucks man, actually worried about being unemployed for too long after uni, just seems like a ****ty depressive place to be from what people tell me, which is why i'm trying to be as proactive as possible.

Whats the long term plan for you then?

Recruitment consultancy, then buy stocks, shares and other forms of commodity so I can make a profit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sr90

I wrote my first draft in like 2 weeks, after that it was just taking bits out and improving it with the help of my supervisor. Research was a PITA though, took ****ing ages, probably around 6 weeks but that's balancing my time with other commitments. Honestly once you get going it's fine, everyone thinks the dissertation is the scariest thing ever but it really isn't. Closing the word document for the last time and sending it to turnitin, before getting it bound and handing it in is one of the best feelings ever.

It sounds like you had a decent supervisor which I think is key when it comes to writing your dissertation. Have a good relationship with them and you tend to get a decent mark as they know what you need to look for / write and just generally point you in the right direction. My supervisor was awful, I didn't get on with her and she offered very little help. After Christmas I asked my head of department if I could find a new supervisor but he said it was too late to change and I had to stick with who I was assigned to. It annoys me a bit because if I had a supervisor who I got on with and helped me out I probably would have come away with a degree that was a First as I ended up only being 2% off, and it was my dissertation that let me down as it was my lowest grade during my whole time at university.

When you start writing the dissertation it can be all over the place but I agree with you that once you get going it's fine and you see it all begin to come together.

But to be honest with you even if I ended up getting a First I think I would still be in the same employment situation and no better. I definitely feel it's who you know which can help you a lot. Had I not volunteered with a local football club I would have never been given the opportunity for the internship at the FAW. Once the internship ended I was offered a role with another football club. Although it only covers part of what I want to do and ideally I would like to move away from Wales, for now it gives me a bit of experience but my degree hasn't really helped me in terms employment. I guess going to University and how it can help with employment is different for everyone though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ra-ra-ra
But to be honest with you even if I ended up getting a First I think I would still be in the same employment situation and no better. I definitely feel it's who you know which can help you a lot. Had I not volunteered with a local football club I would have never been given the opportunity for the internship at the FAW. Once the internship ended I was offered a role with another football club. Although it only covers part of what I want to do and ideally I would like to move away from Wales, for now it gives me a bit of experience but my degree hasn't really helped me in terms employment. I guess going to University and how it can help with employment is different for everyone though.

I don't think there is any difference between a 1st and a 2.1 tbh, unless you want to pursue a career in academia or a job that directly relates to the degree e.g Maths, Engineering, Law. I scraped a 2.1 when I was capable of so much more, but it didn't bother me at all.

One of my friends graduated with a really high 1st (80%) and she can't even get an interview.
It's about connections and knowing the game.

I think I'm getting warmer. I've had a face to face interview now which went okayish, dunno if they'll take me but the guy sounded interested in what I had to say.

Just pissed off at what happened with the assessment centre day. Was supposed to go to an assessment centre for software one as a business development executive, was at my temp job so I couldn't reach them in hours. I find out they'd have taken me to the competence day but I said it too late. So I'm on a waiting list(aka they're not taking me to the day)

Was a very good starting salary as well. May look to just do some **** admin job part time for some money and dedicate the rest of my non work time to finding a job. Maybe do 3 days a week and spend the other two days searching for a job. Would take that.
On a more positive note (depends how you look at it), the majority of the girls I graduated with (I am 23) are now on the slippery slope to never losing the weight they gained at uni, and also the drinking lifestyle has caught up with them big time. Mind you, they were already overweight when I was at uni so you know...

Keep in mind that I was a year older than my cohort because of my gap year. Depressing in the sense that you wish they were nice to look at still, but interesting to see how they react in the coming years. Their lifestyle choices are really self-destructive really in the aesthetic sense, for many it's late 20's and past it already. You see the women in their late 30's and 40's and you can definitely tell which were the ones that had a lot of pride back in their day.

Prefer a more traditional Mediterranean lifestyle myself. I am way too vain to live in excess. As a man, imo, I think it is easier to keep looking good (and in many cases even better) as we get older. I love the style choices of men's clothing from 30+ , it is just a lot more sexy than the female counterparts of the same age.
Original post by jam277
It's about connections and knowing the game.

I think I'm getting warmer. I've had a face to face interview now which went okayish, dunno if they'll take me but the guy sounded interested in what I had to say.

Just pissed off at what happened with the assessment centre day. Was supposed to go to an assessment centre for software one as a business development executive, was at my temp job so I couldn't reach them in hours. I find out they'd have taken me to the competence day but I said it too late. So I'm on a waiting list(aka they're not taking me to the day)

Was a very good starting salary as well. May look to just do some **** admin job part time for some money and dedicate the rest of my non work time to finding a job. Maybe do 3 days a week and spend the other two days searching for a job. Would take that.

Avoiding the CV going into the online shredder is always a good starting point. Basically just getting a face to face is always a good sign. Here is where the word "hustle" actually applies. I am going to test different ways to call up the places I have applied to and actually try and get recognised, show some initiative and all that.
Which branch, I'll go see her sometime

Posted from TSR Mobile

nah it's alright mate.
she's engaged, sorry :/