The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Like Icej suggested Croatia and Bulgaria are nice destinations. I would have said South America but that is incredibly far to travel to and like you said you don't want to go a long distance. The main place I would recommend that offers both cultural and touristy experiences would be anything along the lines of:

Roma Italy

Cape Town, South Africa

Athens Greece

Venice Italy

Prague Czech Republic

Province of Naples, Italy

Geneva Switzerland

Ionian Islands Greece

And a personal favourite, the beautiful Amsterdam :h:

Yet you suggest South Africa, which is even further away? :tongue:
Original post by sr90

Yeahh I realised. I put it in anyway...
If you're trying to stay within a grand spend, going close by is going to be best. Even somewhere dirt cheap like South East Asia you're going to blow most of that on a plane ticket. Europe is going to be your best bet. Donetsk is pretty nice this time of year.
Reply 8223
Or save it and be ballin at uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
Or save it and be ballin at uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's the point though, i had £2k saved before Uni and living at home, it's just money end of the day, there's nothing to do with it...
Reply 8225
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
What's the point though, i had £2k saved before Uni and living at home, it's just money end of the day, there's nothing to do with it...

Nah, I can think of the ways that money could come in handy at uni. Could basically do whatever I wanted, or do it more. When you're living out anyway. I'd agree with you if you're a commuter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
Nah, I can think of the ways that money could come in handy at uni. Could basically do whatever I wanted, or do it more. When you're living out anyway. I'd agree with you if you're a commuter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah can imagine it probably stems down to that. Holidays are invaluable memories though.

RIP Phil Hughes btw. Sad news, i'm shocked.
Reply 8227
Yeah can imagine it probably stems down to that. Holidays are invaluable memories though.

RIP Phil Hughes btw. Sad news, i'm shocked.

Holidays are proper memories, hoping to go back to dam in April :ahee:. Can't wait to join the brigade of faggots on Facebook 'omg in dam!!!' 'I love dam so much culture!!!!' *obligatory pic of canals, bridges and canal houses*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eboracum
This is very interesting. I think travel is the best thing in the world. I'm a firm believer in the idea of "don't buy things, buy experiences" and some of my happiest memories have been abroad. I'm looking into some travel next year when I graduate.

It depends on your tastes really. I'm not into, as you put it "beaches and bitches" either. For me, standing in the Kremlin, or at the Brandenburg Gate thinking of the history that has unfolded is always more refreshing.

What I want to do in Summer is go to Auschwitz in Poland, go around Switzerland (look on google at a place called 'Spiez') and then go around the Scandinavian countries. Perhaps they would be good.

But as a starter, you could perhaps do something like Paris, Berlin, Rome, Vienna. I've been to all four of those and had so much fun, and there is great history. I'm into WW2 and Cold War history, so Berlin is a fantastic place to go. Best of luck.

I want to avoid the major western cities for now (Paris/Berlin) etc although maybe Rome would be an exception. Mainly because of the amount of history and I'd love to see the Colosseum. I'm not really as much of a fan of WW2 history which is probably why I'd avoid Berlin for now, and I find that there's not much appeal to Paris when I'm already living in London? Switzerland does look very interesting in fact and I'd go just for the alps. Had an idea of going to see the Aurora Borealis too in Norway or Sweden but apparently I'm hearing those packages are usually very expensive, add to the fact that I'd have to go at a specific part of the year and not when I'd want.

Original post by sr90
There are some brilliant cities in Eastern Europe. Krakow, Prague, Split, Budapest...

Not kidding but I've heard the Eastern European tour is good (mean Bulgaria, Croatia etc) and its dirt cheap as well there.

Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Like Icej suggested Croatia and Bulgaria are nice destinations. I would have said South America but that is incredibly far to travel to and like you said you don't want to go a long distance. The main place I would recommend that offers both cultural and touristy experiences would be anything along the lines of:

Roma Italy

Cape Town, South Africa

Athens Greece

Venice Italy

Prague Czech Republic

Province of Naples, Italy

Geneva Switzerland

Ionian Islands Greece

And a personal favourite, the beautiful Amsterdam :h:

Original post by sr90

There are lots and lots of European cities I want to visit like Prague, Budapest, Florence and Athens etc but I was thinking that it would be better to visit all of these in an inter railing trip. I initially wanted to inter-rail but thought I'd leave it for later and start off easy with just 1 or 2 destinations. The distance it's self isn't the issue for me really so places like cape town or South America sound good but I'm sure I'd need a higher budget. I would prefer to leave Europe however but that appears to be the most expensive so I'm not so sure yet. I honestly have no clue yet haha, maybe I would be able to ask for a bit from my parents and go over 1k so I'll just have to say. It's just so exciting though since there are so many places to see :tongue:

There's also going to New York where I have family around my age. I've never been to America before and essentially I'd have no living costs what so ever, I'd just have to pay for the ticket and have enough spending money.
(edited 9 years ago)
Go NYC, party with rap stars.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vegas?

But he said 1k tops and you need 5k for a decent holiday there tbh.
Go NYC, party with rap stars.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could have asked my cousin to take me with him to work but he's moved to LA now :frown:
Original post by AR_95
There's also going to New York where I have family around my age. I've never been to America before and essentially I'd have no living costs what so ever, I'd just have to pay for the ticket and have enough spending money.
I'd go for that then tbh. You want to maximise what you can get for the money. Europe obviously has the benefit of not being like £500+ down before you step off the plane, but if you can have free accommodation when you get there that is as good as. New York surely would make it onto most people's must visit top 10. You can do a quick visit to DC in a day too if you're a bit of a culture vulture.
Yeah, do New York.
Zante

srs
Original post by jam277
Fizzel doesn't live in manchester, ian dangerously knows little about football and talks about passion of being a united fan and his days out while saying how he would beat up liverpool fans or get into beef if he is in rome, stretford end was decent for a new guy but wasn't really this innovative guy.

Wilf you're losing this argument.

I'm not just talking about being a tactical nerd and overdoing the analysis like half of you lot do. Ian is more clued up than most. I've had MU guys send me PM's on here asking if they would get sussed sitting in our end. That just wouldn't happen with him or SE.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I'm not just talking about being a tactical nerd and overdoing the analysis like half of you lot do. Ian is more clued up than most. I've had MU guys send me PM's on here asking if they would get sussed sitting in our end. That just wouldn't happen with him or SE.

Well how stupid do you have to be if you're sussed out?

What does this have to do with being a best poster either that somebody has decent social skills and actually has emotional intelligence so you don't get caught as an away fan in the home end :rolleyes:
Roberto LOLado.
Original post by jam277
Vegas?

But he said 1k tops and you need 5k for a decent holiday there tbh.

Nah I disagree. You genuinely dont have to buy drinks because the cocktail waitresses just pile you with booze for $1 tips. No real advantage to staying in one of the top hotels either vs just staying in Cesars etc so you can do it relatively cheap.

I was there when I was 19 and probably spent about £800 over a weekend, a large part of which was gambling losses that were obviously not compulsory.
Wilfred, you have a lot of anger. Pretty entertaining tbh.

Latest