The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fideo
Tom just rekt someone

In the grand scheme of things (:lol:) I was being nice.
Original post by Tom_Ford
Staying with one person forever is not my cup of tea, I will always want to cheat with other women (and will). Only reason I would want a marriage is to have a good stable home for a kid to grow up in. But, it is not worth signing my assets away.

Not going to lie, irl I am a selfish, indulgent and arrogant prick.

Do you not plan on having a family?
Original post by IceJJFish(II)
What race are you btw out of interest?

Lets just say if he was fit chances are I'd like his sister.

Think you know the answer.
Original post by Isometrix
Do you not plan on having a family?

I want kids, but cannot imagine being married indefinitely.
Staying with one person forever is not my cup of tea, I will always want to cheat with other women (and will). Only reason I would want a marriage is to have a good stable home for a kid to grow up in. But, it is not worth signing my assets away.
I was just wondering. Yeah I think its an outdated concept for the world we live in, and if it weren't connected to the whole white wedding day, was more just something you did at the solicitors completely separately, I don't think people would bother with it. Once you realise people unless circumstances force them to are not going to stick with one person or be happy with one person, then you have to see relationships as temporary to varying degrees. In our world at least, the circumstances that keep people together for lifetimes generally don't exist anymore. If your relationship is temporary your arrangements within that should be too.

Not going to lie, irl I am a selfish, indulgent and arrogant prick.
You previous user was Mr Vain tbf. Probably not a bad thing tbh. I certainly think being arrogant is very beneficial in life.

What race are you btw out of interest?

I agree yeah. Think we've evolved to the point that human values are being lost. We work too hard and neglect our family values. Kinda wish I lived in a much simpler time if I'm honest.
Mixed, black and white.

I'm not sure its human values its just the last few years social landscape has changed massively. The core reasons for marriage historically, for the most part, aren't relevant to modern western society.

I was listening to a podcast in summer, by Dan Carlin I think (his hardcore history wrath of the khans series is so so good btw free on itunes, cool voice too) but he pointed out pretty much from 4000BC (domestication of the horse) until 1886 the fastest way for a human to travel between two points was a horse. Nearly 6000 years, and basically no progress. You couldn't get from one city to the next much faster in 4000BC than you could in 1850AD. Then the car is invented in 1886. Progress from there is just unreal. By 1969 we're putting men on the moon. After nearly 6000 year of **** all progress, it takes 100 years from horses to, cars everywhere, commercial flight and space travel. What was just standard for millennia becomes irrelevant, relatively speaking in an moment.

Kind of random connection but I think it just illustrated how much the world has actually changed in relatively recent times. Socially the same thing is happening, some of the stuff that we've used and been accustomed to being how things work, just aren't relevant at all. They worked because the world was a certain way for a very long period of time, and its no longer that way.

Original post by jam277

I got shafted on the family genetics, but my sister didn't. :colondollar:

I don't think it even matter for that. Its not like we live in 1950's households anymore. A good working relationship between parents is the most important thing I think.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277

Lmao. Just seen his post, you're in there.

Also I feel ****ed. Stuck in bed can barely move. Have **** load of revision that I just can't do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting to hear. For me the two go hand in hand.

You never know Tom, by the time you're 30 you might change your view on marriage :tongue:
Original post by Fizzel

Mixed, black and white.

I'm not sure its human values its just the last few years social landscape has changed massively. The core reasons for marriage historically, for the most part, aren't relevant to modern western society.

I was listening to a podcast in summer, by Dan Carlin I think (his hardcore history wrath of the khans series is so so good btw free on itunes, cool voice too) but he pointed out pretty much from 4000BC (domestication of the horse) until 1886 the fastest way for a human to travel between two points was a horse. Nearly 6000 years, and basically no progress. You couldn't get from one city to the next much faster in 4000BC than you could in 1850AD. Then the car is invented in 1886. Progress from there is just unreal. By 1969 we're putting men on the moon. After nearly 6000 year of **** all progress, it takes 100 years from horses to, cars everywhere, commercial flight and space travel. What was just standard for millennia becomes irrelevant, relatively speaking in an moment.

Kind of random connection but I think it just illustrated how much the world has actually changed in relatively recent times. Socially the same thing is happening, some of the stuff that we've used and been accustomed to being how things work, just aren't relevant at all. They worked because the world was a certain way for a very long period of time, and its no longer that way.

Yeah suppose it's that as well. I agree with the social points though, **** has changed and fast, exponential growth of technology has shifted the goalposts.

More of a rant about people, but I find it unreal how cold hearted people are. Being brought up in a stereotypically welcoming race/religion I've always valued family/guests and people in general highly. Big emphasis on parents to. The way some people treat others though **** me. Could never put anyone in my family in a care home, wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Also I find the western view on sex/women to be disgusting as well. I think we're too liberal, I don't like the promiscuity of humans. Seems to me that there's a lack of respect for others within many, and this has caused the desensitisation of our attitudes to relationships. Think Tom Ford is a perfect example of this, not that I blame
Him but he's a product of his environment essentially. Call me a prude but sex should be an after marriage thing. Women are objectified, and mistreated when they should be protected as our mothers, daughters and sisters (inb4 white knight).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah suppose it's that as well. I agree with the social points though, **** has changed and fast, exponential growth of technology has shifted the goalposts.

More of a rant about people, but I find it unreal how cold hearted people are. Being brought up in a stereotypically welcoming race/religion I've always valued family/guests and people in general highly. Big emphasis on parents to. The way some people treat others though **** me. Could never put anyone in my family in a care home, wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Also I find the western view on sex/women to be disgusting as well. I think we're too liberal, I don't like the promiscuity of humans. Seems to me that there's a lack of respect for others within many, and this has caused the desensitisation of our attitudes to relationships. Think Tom Ford is a perfect example of this, not that I blame
Him but he's a product of his environment essentially. Call me a prude but sex should be an after marriage thing. Women are objectified, and mistreated when they should be protected as our mothers, daughters and sisters (inb4 white knight).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you Asian and Muslim by any chance? :tongue:
Original post by Fizzel
I was just wondering. Yeah I think its an outdated concept for the world we live in, and if it weren't connected to the whole white wedding day, was more just something you did at the solicitors completely separately, I don't think people would bother with it. Once you realise people unless circumstances force them to are not going to stick with one person or be happy with one person, then you have to see relationships as temporary to varying degrees. In our world at least, the circumstances that keep people together for lifetimes generally don't exist anymore. If your relationship is temporary your arrangements within that should be too.

You previous user was Mr Vain tbf. Probably not a bad thing tbh. I certainly think being arrogant is very beneficial in life.

Bingo, and that is a big industry in itself (with other industries connected to it). Businesses have interests in keeping the institution of marriage alive. Women are also very 'group-think' about it in the vast majority of circles. I think I remember thinking that anyway in the statistics in which women got married, most common age was 29.

Another thing is people fear being alone or past it. Thing they forget is that very well may happen anyway (divorce, separation, illness, death etc) ... How about people actually enjoy their lives and take it as it comes. We are always living for tomorrow, everyone is always in some crisis when really there is no crisis. Unless you are dying, in pain or your family is, starving etc... then there is no crisis.
Original post by The.Joker
Are you Asian and Muslim by any chance? :tongue:

What are your thoughts on it? Would be interesting to hear from a woman's perspective :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

take it your islam then? and ur talking about mistreating women :laugh:
Original post by Parano!d

What are your views on it? Interested to know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9293

"your islam" you managed to get both words wrong
Original post by Fideo

:rofl: dying fam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are your views on it? Interested to know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

think what u wrote was a load of rubbish when u said our culture treats women as objects. do you think women in your culture are being treated better than in the west??

at least our culture believes in equal rights, women have the same right as men in everything. your still living in an outdated era which no longer functions in todays world sorry to say.

just cos ur not allowed to get laid doesn't mean those that do are "disgusting" and "disrespectful".
What are your thoughts on it? Would be interesting to hear from a woman's perspective :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with what you said but that's due to the fact I'm an Asian Muslim. :smile:

I really hate how the society we live is extremely superficial, both men and women have lots of pressure on looking good (more so for women) and how people are judged on the labels on their clothing, wealth and looks.
Original post by Fideo

x

well this is awkward...
please respond.
Original post by Fideo

oh **** its the grammar police :rolleyes:
Reply 9299
oh **** its the grammar police :rolleyes: