Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

B646 - Easter Act 1928 (Repeal) Bill 2014 Watch

• Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    B646 - Easter Act 1928 (Repeal) Bill 2014, The Hon. Barnetlad MP

The Easter Act 1928 (Repeal) Act 2014
    An Act to repeal the never enacted introduction of a fixed date for Easter.

Preamble
    The Easter Act 1928 allowed for the introduction of a fixed date for Easter, subject to the views of churches and the will of both Houses in Parliament. Repeal of the Act would retain Easter bank holidays in line with the moveable feast in the Christian calendar.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1. The Easter Act 1928 is hereby repealed.
    2. This will take effect from the date of the passage of the Act.

ReputationRep:
    So what would be the exact date of Easter every year?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fair enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Easter was not a christian holiday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    So what would be the exact date of Easter every year?
    This act is designed to remove the date.

ReputationRep:
    abstain? What difference does it make?

ReputationRep:
    This would mean that we keep the moveable Easter date for the celebrations and for the public holidays, and gets a law off the statute book that will never be enacted. A fixed Easter date is not something all Christian traditions want to see, never mind agree, which is what the 1928 Act intended.

The date of Easter is calculated with reference to the Jewish Passover, which will not be changing either, as I cannot imagine for a second that several millennia of tradition would be overturned just for a bit of consistency.

ReputationRep:
    No thanks. It's not down to the state to decide when a religious holiday is.

Edit: It would appear that I've failed massively. I agree with this!

ReputationRep:
    Abstain.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, the act isn't used, and never will be, so let's clear up the books a bit, why not? I'm not going to do it, but it sounds good.

ReputationRep:
    There is one problem however.

Easter can't be on a fixed date because of it's status as a Sunday-Based event. Calling for a fixed date would make this redundant, as it would to Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter Monday.

I propose a slight change to this bill, being that the date is kept fixed to a fortnightly, or even a weekly, period, as opposed to a single day. Although this would mean that we would still lack a fixed Easter date, it would still allow us to more properly co-ordinate the events surrounding the occasion.

ReputationRep:
    So is there a massive backlog of acts on this statute book which have just never been enacted? I guess I agree with this.

ReputationRep:
    Abstain. Not too sure about the significance of the legislation- why does it need repeal if it was never properly introduced?

ReputationRep:
    Abstain.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't see the benefit of having this legislation.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't aware this was a problem. Is this a problem?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Abstain. This government has more important issues to be considering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Abstain
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    This is in cessation.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2014
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.