Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Is it right to 'tell' on someone? Watch

ReputationRep:
    There's a girl in our year; she's clever and 'diligent'(so they say)- prefect, head of Biology, hopeful Oxford applicant ect.
    We had our A2 mocks this term. When we entered the exam hall, our English papers were facing up, showing the questions. She has a good look at it and walks out for the 'loo'. And during the exam she asks to go to the loo again and didn't come back for about roughly 2-3 mins.
    I wasn't suspicious until other people (who walked in late to the exam hall) told us how they saw her reading her English file outside the room. So we wondered if she read her file again when she went to the 'loo' during the exam.
    Turns out this isn't the first time she cheated- during AS, her and a friend of mine were put in a separate room for their Biology module(worth 30% of the AS grade); the teacher didn't supervise them properly, and when my friend turned around to ask to borrow something, and saw that she had her text book out and was copying from it- she got 100%.
    And during English lessons, she makes us feel constantly guilty by telling the teacher that she's already done the essay that he was about to set; and of course, he's like: "Oh look at xx- she's a shining example". But later in the week, she'll come to one of us and ask for the essay title. One time, she took my friend's essay-which had annotations from the teacher- from her room and practically copied it out. The teacher called this essay 'exemplary' and when my friend found out that she took the essay and realised how similar the essay was to hers, she told the teacher but he just couldn't care less.
    She's also got extra time during the exam, due to the fact that she's a 'slow processor' and 'slow writer'- she admitted that she faked the learning difficulty test. She wrote 21 pages for one exam, so that really proves something; she needs to get her writing perfect(At one point, I thought she was OCD) and she rambles on alot in her essay- instead of learning to trim the essay, she opted for an easy way-extra time. This is really unfair because due to people like her who fakes for extra time, the moderation got a lot stricter- some people who really need this are rejected sometimes.
    What really frustrates me(and frankly, the rest of the year) is that she's totally capable of doing well without all this. And teachers never assume anything bad about her because she acts perfect around them.
    At the end of the day, it's effecting her not us. But some stuff she's doing (ex.taking essays without permission) is really starting to make us feel bad.
    So is it right to tell a teacher about what she's done?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Just let her get on with it, she'll end up shooting herself in the foot. Why do you care?

ReputationRep:
    She'll only get to university and likely fail her exams there because it will be WAY stricter, not just in exams but assignments too.

ReputationRep:
    She's only really deceiving herself - don't worry about it

ReputationRep:
    Either she's real smart or real stupid.

Either way, don't be a rat and don't get involved. Just do your own thing and act like it isn't happening.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, it's up to you; if it was me I wouldn't care since it doesn't affect me and I seem to get the impression that she's just ruining her own future by her deceitful ways. If it's still bugging you why not 'suggest' to the teachers that supervision is more strict however you and all friends should inform someone higher up in the school's hierarchy if work is being plagiarised like that. Otherwise, don't sweat it; knuckle down and focus on your own studies.

ReputationRep:
    She may fail at university but that sort of resourcefulness will stand her in good stead for the real world, that's what real intelligence looks like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    She may fail at university but that sort of resourcefulness will stand her in good stead for the real world, that's what real intelligence looks like
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Snitches get stitches. Tbh though she is bound to slip up then you can bask in her shame, it'll be so warm.

ReputationRep:
    No don't be a snake

ReputationRep:
    My friend did that; hid his notes in the toilet we get taken to and went there to look at them mid-exam.

You can tell, but you have no evidence, so what's the point?

ReputationRep:
    Do it but ask to remain anonymous. Our invigilator used to follow us to the toilet for our GCSE exams and check that we had nothing in our pockets

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.