Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving out of my apartment in July to a flatshare. I've not decided which one but I will be a roommate.

What sort of things can I do to protect myself? I'm scared of being unduly evicted or similar.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really something to worry much about. Ask around if there are any bad agencies in your area, even the worst where I went to uni just randomly send letters demanding money (which you ignore and nothing ever happens) and never get round to fixing things. Have a written contract with the agent/owner, don't just chat with a current tenant. Get an inventory and make any changes reflecting items and their condition as needed as soon as you move in- so you don't get held accountable for any existing damage. That's about it, unduly evicted and things like that don't really happen
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    It's not really something to worry much about. Ask around if there are any bad agencies in your area, even the worst where I went to uni just randomly send letters demanding money (which you ignore and nothing ever happens) and never get round to fixing things. Have a written contract with the agent/owner, don't just chat with a current tenant. Get an inventory and make any changes reflecting items and their condition as needed as soon as you move in- so you don't get held accountable for any existing damage. That's about it, unduly evicted and things like that don't really happen
    Thanks. I was going to use one of those online sites to find one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    Thanks. I was going to use one of those online sites to find one.
    Use the internet, it's much easier. When I say talk to the agent, I mean to finalise. Tenants can often be allowed to find their own new flatmate then you do the contract with the agent/owner
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    Use the internet, it's much easier. When I say talk to the agent, I mean to finalise. Tenants can often be allowed to find their own new flatmate then you do the contract with the agent/owner
    Thanks again for your help.

I've selected and paid for my new room. It's in a house.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.