Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    attempts to make ClF7 have failed but IF7 has been prepared.
    suggest an explanation for the existence of IF7 and for the non-existence of ClF7

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uzer)
    attempts to make ClF7 have failed but IF7 has been prepared.
    suggest an explanation for the existence of IF7 and for the non-existence of ClF7
    Iodine has 7 valence electrons, and Fluorine needs 1 more electron to complete its valence shell. Therefore, one Iodine can bond with 7 Fluorine atoms to form IF7.

Carbon has 4 valence electrons. If it were the central atom, there wouldn't be enough electrons for the one Carbon atom to form bonds with the 8 other atoms, which all require 8 electrons in total to fill all valence shells. If Iodine were the central atom, there is still no possible way that all the valence shells could be filled.

I feel that this is a shaky explanation (I tried), so I'll wait until someone else comes along and gives a better answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Necrosyrtes)
    Iodine has 7 valence electrons, and Fluorine needs 1 more electron to complete its valence shell. Therefore, one Iodine can bond with 7 Fluorine atoms to form IF7.

Carbon has 4 valence electrons. If it were the central atom, there wouldn't be enough electrons for the one Carbon atom to form bonds with the 8 other atoms, which all require 8 electrons in total to fill all valence shells. If Iodine were the central atom, there is still no possible way that all the valence shells could be filled.

I feel that this is a shaky explanation (I tried), so I'll wait until someone else comes along and gives a better answer
    sorry it is Cl as in chlorine sorry for the confusion

ReputationRep:
    What exam board is this, I do edexcel and I've never seen that in my life :O

ReputationRep:
    its cambridge as level

ReputationRep:
    Just guessing but could it have anything to Do with the relative electronegativity of chlorine compared to iodine, which may prevent it "opening up" it's outershell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The Cl atom is smaller than the I atom. Therefore it cannot facilitate the 7 Fluorine atoms but Iodine can because iodine has a larger atomic radius than Chlorine.

ReputationRep:
    I actually think it as an IB question

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.