The Student Room Group

Grades & exam results

Hey guys! I'm in fourth year and will be sitting my exams in under two weeks and I've got some questions ....obviously:biggrin:

1. What percentage I should be aiming for to get an A?

2. Is there such a thing as an A* in Scotland?

3. Can you see the percentages on your final certificate?

4. Do Nat5's or equivalents matter in your uni application in the future?

5. Did your grade predictions turn out quite accurate in the past?

Thanks so much for your help!
(edited 10 years ago)
1. Normally for an A it would be around 75% but this varies for each exam papers if they are considered to be easy or difficult.

2. No, we just get the grades. There are different bands however, though these make no difference for universities unless you're applying for very competitive ones.

3. No, it will just show you what grade you achieved (A-D) Your teachers should receive your percentages so you can ask them when you go back to school in August.

4. Not necessarily, though if you've looked at some requirements it says that at least a C at National 5 English/Maths is required so this is where your S4 results come into it. You'll put them on your application of course but they aren't the most important things in the world :smile:

5. Do you mean predictions of what's going to come up in the exam, or the predicted grades?

Good luck for your exams, I'm sure you'll do fine!!!
Original post by greenladybird
1. Normally for an A it would be around 75% but this varies for each exam papers if they are considered to be easy or difficult.

2. No, we just get the grades. There are different bands however, though these make no difference for universities unless you're applying for very competitive ones.

3. No, it will just show you what grade you achieved (A-D) Your teachers should receive your percentages so you can ask them when you go back to school in August.

4. Not necessarily, though if you've looked at some requirements it says that at least a C at National 5 English/Maths is required so this is where your S4 results come into it. You'll put them on your application of course but they aren't the most important things in the world :smile:

5. Do you mean predictions of what's going to come up in the exam, or the predicted grades?

Good luck for your exams, I'm sure you'll do fine!!!

So does the A standard tend to go up or down?

What are the percentages for A band 1 and band 2?

Sorry I meant predicted grades.:colondollar:

thanks a lot!
Original post by tinababy

thanks a lot!

It depends purely on the exam paper, try and aim for at least 80% to definitely get an A.
I'm not entirely sure but I'd say A band 1 is from 85-100% and A band 2 is from 75-84%
These won't matter in the slightest as I think only Cambridge and Oxford will take into consideration the banding. :biggrin:
For mine at least they were fairly accurate. Last year I was predicted AB111122. In August I got AA111122 :smile:
As long as you work hard you'll get a good grade, if a teacher has predicted you for a B, as long as you do work in the run-up to exam day then there's no reason why you couldn't achieve an A :smile:

thanks a lot!

At Higher, the % for an A can change by 5% in some cases, so it may be the same for the Nationals. Just aim for 75-80% for an A
Band 1 is normally about 85% in sciences, 74% in english, and about 88% in maths.
Predicted grades are predicted grades of course, considering your teacher doesnt actually live with you then they dont know what you are really capable of. I have a friend who was predicted ABBCC and got 5As, so they can be wrong.
If you want to do medicine, dentistry, vetmed or are applying to uni at the end of 5th year, these nationals are very important to prove that you have continuously applied yourself in school. They also give you confidence if you do well in them, so give it your best shot!
Original post by greenladybird
It depends purely on the exam paper, try and aim for at least 80% to definitely get an A.
I'm not entirely sure but I'd say A band 1 is from 85-100% and A band 2 is from 75-84%
These won't matter in the slightest as I think only Cambridge and Oxford will take into consideration the banding. :biggrin:
For mine at least they were fairly accurate. Last year I was predicted AB111122. In August I got AA111122 :smile:
As long as you work hard you'll get a good grade, if a teacher has predicted you for a B, as long as you do work in the run-up to exam day then there's no reason why you couldn't achieve an A :smile:

Yeah that's what I was thinking... aim for at least 80% :smile:
Thanks for clearing up the band 1 and 2 thing...had me confused :tongue:
And thanks for cheering me up about the predictions! I was worried I wouldn't be able to get the predicted grades as I felt they were all really quite generous but I'm much more optimistic!

Thanks for all your help! :smile:
Yeah that's what I was thinking... aim for at least 80% :smile:
Thanks for clearing up the band 1 and 2 thing...had me confused :tongue:
And thanks for cheering me up about the predictions! I was worried I wouldn't be able to get the predicted grades as I felt they were all really quite generous but I'm much more optimistic!

Thanks for all your help! :smile:

No problem, it's better you were able to get the answers!
If you need any help at all then feel free to message me :smile:
Original post by Pennyarcade
At Higher, the % for an A can change by 5% in some cases, so it may be the same for the Nationals. Just aim for 75-80% for an A
Band 1 is normally about 85% in sciences, 74% in english, and about 88% in maths.
Predicted grades are predicted grades of course, considering your teacher doesnt actually live with you then they dont know what you are really capable of. I have a friend who was predicted ABBCC and got 5As, so they can be wrong.
If you want to do medicine, dentistry, vetmed or are applying to uni at the end of 5th year, these nationals are very important to prove that you have continuously applied yourself in school. They also give you confidence if you do well in them, so give it your best shot!

OMG!!! You have made my day!!! :biggrin:I was really worried about English the most because it's so hard and lengthy and has so many aspects to it! I only managed to get 78% in my prelim and so I was worried that with my portfolio and more poems ( 3 for the prelim...6 for the exam:frown:) I wouldn't be able to get a band 1. Sciences, maths and french come really easily to me so not worried that much. History on the other hand has me tearing my hair out:mad: and it takes so long to go through all the material because we've barely done anything in class....only have 10 scribbled pages for one of the three units! I'm so glad I'm dropping it next year!

Yeah I would love to do medicine that's why I was asking about the banding and the importance of the nationals.

Thanks for answering my question! :smile:
OMG!!! You have made my day!!! :biggrin:I was really worried about English the most because it's so hard and lengthy and has so many aspects to it! I only managed to get 78% in my prelim and so I was worried that with my portfolio and more poems ( 3 for the prelim...6 for the exam:frown:) I wouldn't be able to get a band 1. Sciences, maths and french come really easily to me so not worried that much. History on the other hand has me tearing my hair out:mad: and it takes so long to go through all the material because we've barely done anything in class....only have 10 scribbled pages for one of the three units! I'm so glad I'm dropping it next year!

Yeah I would love to do medicine that's why I was asking about the banding and the importance of the nationals.

Thanks for answering my question! :smile:

For nationals the banding wont matter, heck it doesnt even matter for higher unless you are applying for oxbridge. Focus on the As, band 1s are just an extra.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah as Pennyarcade said, don't worry at all about bandings. To be quite frank, very few people care about them, I didn't even bother asking what band I got in my Int2s as I was just happy with my A. Although, my chemistry teacher did go on about how I had only dropped 4 marks. Aw yeah. :P

Also, greenlady bird, A's are normally 70 not 75% no ?
Original post by Bromaldehyde
Yeah as Pennyarcade said, don't worry at all about bandings. To be quite frank, very few people care about them, I didn't even bother asking what band I got in my Int2s as I was just happy with my A. Although, my chemistry teacher did go on about how I had only dropped 4 marks. Aw yeah. :P

Also, greenlady bird, A's are normally 70 not 75% no ?

I thought it would be better to say 75% as it's an average for the majority of subjects. Some are obviously lower, but some are closer to 80% for an A - I decided to go in between haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending