Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Moderate Democrats - New party proposal! Watch

ReputationRep:

The Moderate Democrat Party would compete on a central economic platform, as well as a central social platform. The party would also
    stay away from tribal politics and take a common sense approach to problems and not be influenced by any particular political ideology. The party would also focus on repealing ineffective bills and improving or making them more relevant, and is opposed to change for change’s sake.

This isn't a referendum on whether you agree/disagree with the Moderate Democrat Party (name subject to change). It's about whether one should exist in the TSR MHoC.

Obviously the majority of people will disagree with a great deal of my draft policies and once we're up and running I look forward to debating it but in order to stay on topic we need to concentrate on whether or not the party should exist. (Credit to Norfolkadam for disclaimer and rough outline)

Aims of this thread:
    1.To outline a manifesto and broad policy direction for the TSR Progressive Conservative Party
    2. To muster support and build a party base allowing us to become an official TSR party.
    3. To get feedback from people regarding the party idea and platform.

Party Formation Procedure from the MHoC Guidance Document:
    1) If wanting to form a party, someone should put a thread in the main House of Commons forum spelling out their main principles.
    2) Interested people should PM the Speaker and proposer.
    3) In deciding whether to allow a party to form, the Speaker should be primarily mindful of the support for the party. Precedent sets the hurdle as 10 eligible voters showing support, though the Speaker may want to consider other factors, such as whether those voters are active House of Commons members.

Party Policies:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Nationalisation:
    Introduce new rules which prevents any profitable part of the government or associated companies being privatised.
    Where there are competition concerns (e.g. energy) the government will set up a government owned competitor, which will keep costs for consumer much lower.
    Stall and reverse the privitisation of the NHS.
    Economy:
    Raise minimum wage by £1per hour.
    £2bn fund to give out loans to SME’s.
    Government:
    Setup a cross-party group to look at ways of increasing activity in the MHoC
    Introduce 25% council tax cut for all new business premises opening new in a city to the north of south Birmingham.
    The party also concedes that sometimes personal freedom concessions must be made to preserve human life.
    EU:
    The party supports the European union as a trading union but does not agree with any more national sovereignty being handed over.
    Housing:
    Introduce a law that prevents non-EU citizens, or companies primarily owned by non-EU citizens from letting out or owning multiple residential property in Greater London ( and surrounding areas). The party would then look at rolling it out across other major metropolitan areas.
    Immigration:
    Anyone whom has overstayed on a visa is not granted the right of appeal.
    Education:
    Reverse the plan to raise the compulsory schooling age.
    Reduce maximum tuition fees to £3,000-£5,000
    £3000 grant to students that have finished a degree and moved into innovative research.
    £20 grant for every student that gets A*-C at GCSE in Computer Science. (To their respective comprehensive school.)
    £200 grant for every student that gets A*-B at A2 in Computer Science. (To their respective comprehensive school.)
    £2000 grant to each student that gets a 1st-2.1 in a Computer Science degree.
    Gay Rights:
    The party supports gay marriage.
    Media:
    Enable the BBC trust to insert the a clause into all contracts that states that if someone has presided or worked mainly on a project that completely failed or ran over budget, the trust reserves the right to deduct severance pay.
    Ensure that the BBC retains a wide selection of services to society.
    Bring back BBC3 when in negotiations to renew the BBC’s royal charter.
    Foreign Policy:
    Reorganise the Armed Forces:
    Army- Convert the army into a marginally smaller force trained to a much higher standard in special ops. Make them more able to launch off a marine platform as well.
    Navy- Massively increase the size of the Royal Marines, and buy more frigates and destroyers. Finally transfer a large amount of aircraft from the Air Force to the Fleet Air Arm.
    Air Force- See above.

Setup:
    After the party is formed, there will be elections for a Leader, a Deputy and a Chairman. There will also be a vote on the party logo.

As leader I'll encourage people to submit sensible, well-formed bills and get involved in the debate around them. I'll try to stay out of the drama and furore that usually surrounds a lot of what's done in the MHoC.

How to Support Us:
    We need to get as many people as we can
    to send a private message to the Speaker and myself outlining their interest. We need a minimum of 10 members who've been on the forum for a while to get established.

To send the message click here.

Copy and paste 'Cryptographic; Jarred' into the recipients box and you can either write your own message or I've written this brief statement you can copy and paste.

Spoiler:
    Show

Mr. Speaker,

I am sending this message to show my support for the formation of a TSR Moderate Democratic Party.

Yours,

What is different between the Moderate Democrat Party and the Liberal Party?

The Moderate Democrat Party does not pursue the personal freedoms (or have personal liberty as it's main agenda) with the same vigour as the Liberal party, but instead focuses on passing laws. One example of this is that at the last General Election 66% of it's policies were to do with personal freedoms. None of the proposed policies above are to do with personal freedom. The party also recognises that sometimes personal freedoms have to be curbed to save a significant amount of lives. The party will fill a similar sort of void as the one left from when the centre party collapsed.

Finally
    I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on the proposal. I'm particularly interested in hearing from people with views similar to the party, I know that there will be those whom will obviously dislike the idea but even if you disagree with us you'd have to agree that more plurality is a good thing.

Regards, Crypto.

Backers:
    1. Cryptographic
    2. bookbreaker
    3. FelixTheCat

Attached Images
  1. File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-04-18 at 12.21.23.png (24.8 KB, 101 views)
  2. File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-04-17 at 21.34.41.png (94.8 KB, 66 views)

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really make sense to use an oxymoron as your party name, you're either progressive or conservative really, and surely the Liberals and Conservatives fill this void anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I see what you did there with the logo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheese_Monster)
    It doesn't really make sense to use an oxymoron as your party name, you're either progressive or conservative really
    Not exactly, since 'progressive' is a question-begging label. You can't be conservative and favour radical change, but "progressives" merely claim without proof that radical change constitutes progress. Maybe it constitutes regress!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    Not exactly, since 'progressive' is a question-begging label. You can't be conservative and favour radical change, but "progressives" merely claim without proof that radical change constitutes progress. Maybe it constitutes regress!
    Mistaking motion for progress is a common phenomenon. !!!

ReputationRep:
    What exactly differs you from a liberal and conservatives?

And as said earlier, you can't just steal their name, add a word in front of it that contradicts it and then fuse their two logos together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    I suppose. It doesn't really inform anyone what it stands for, which one usually hopes for in a party name. I can't see there being 10 people willing to join, that said the Greens only has 5 and became established with Speaker discretion so you never know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Interesting to say the least!

It sounds like the moderate part of the Tories and the more centrist party of the liberal.

BTW there is such as party in Canada called the The Candian Progressive Conservative Party - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progres...arty_of_Canada

The think tank Bright blue sounds very similar to you polices or that of the Tory reform group.
    However this would further divide the right wing vote and centralist vote like the TSR Conservative Party did. I suppose the most realistic thing you could do apart from staying with the Tories or joining the Liberal is to internally reform the Tories into this sort of party (and I suppose the right will then move to UKIP or the Libers)

But any good luck, its very hard to do!

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really make sense to use an oxymoron as your party name, you're either progressive or conservative really, and surely the Liberals and Conservatives fill this void anyway?
    There is a gap in the centre for another party.

(Original post by Birchington)
    Hmm, I see what you did there with the logo.
    Not my intention, sorry.

(Original post by That Bearded Man)
    What exactly differs you from a liberal and conservatives?

And as said earlier, you can't just steal their name, add a word in front of it that contradicts it and then fuse their two logos together.
    Logo wise, that was not my intention. I was short of names, however the name has been amended to reflect the party's views more accurately. Added a section to answer part 2 of your question above.

I suppose. It doesn't really inform anyone what it stands for, which one usually hopes for in a party name. I can't see there being 10 people willing to join, that said the Greens only has 5 and became established with Speaker discretion so you never know.
    Short of names, chose a bad one, corrected now. Should be marginally more informative.

(Original post by Will95206)
    Interesting to say the least!

It sounds like the moderate part of the Tories and the more centrist party of the liberal.

BTW there is such as party in Canada called the The Candian Progressive Conservative Party - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progres...arty_of_Canada

The think tank Bright blue sounds very similar to you polices or that of the Tory reform group.
    However this would further divide the right wing vote and centralist vote like the TSR Conservative Party did. I suppose the most realistic thing you could do apart from staying with the Tories or joining the Liberal is to internally reform the Tories into this sort of party (and I suppose the right will then move to UKIP or the Libers)

But any good luck, its very hard to do!
    Thanks .

ReputationRep:
    You're only moderately democratic now? Disappointing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name idea:

Centralist Alliance
    Democratic Alliance
    Center Democrats
    Union of Democrats
    Center-Right Democracy
    Democratic Union of Conservatives
    Alliance of Liberals and Democrats
    Reform ect

Union, Progress, Democracy, Alliance - seem to be recurring themes in the names so might be worth make one from a combo of those ect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrism

ReputationRep:
    Name idea:

Centralist Alliance
    Democratic Alliance
    Center Democrats
    Union of Democrats
    Center-Right Democracy
    Democratic Union of Conservatives
    Alliance of Liberals and Democrats
    Reform ect

Union, Progress, Democracy, Alliance - seem to be recurring themes in the names so might be worth make one from a combo of those ect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrism
    How about TSR Liberal Democrats?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm just going to point out that your Education, Foreign Policy, Gay Rights, Housing and EU policies are exactly the same as ours. Insofar as we already have a Bill written up for your Housing policy.

On the whole I can see where you're coming from in terms of a more central version of the Tories, but I'm unsure as to the need.

ReputationRep:
    How about TSR Liberal Democrats?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A great idea! I have heard of that from somewhere before, but I just cannot remember!

ReputationRep:
    A great idea! I have heard of that from somewhere before, but I just cannot remember!
    Me neither, might consider establishing such a party.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwertish)
    I'm just going to point out that your Education, Foreign Policy, Gay Rights, Housing and EU policies are exactly the same as ours. Insofar as we already have a Bill written up for your Housing policy.
    EU and Gay Rights are pretty universal (OK, maybe not EU).
    Foreign Policy is something which with you, I and a few others I had mapped out.
    Education, there is only one policy in similar, which was one that I put forward from my manifesto, for when I got elected internally.

The party is one which although it doesn't aim to, will fill lots of the gap that was left by the dissolution of the Central Party.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Seems needless, you can do more than half of that in the Tories and the others you'd probably find support for in the Liberals.

Council tax is also abolished in the Mhoc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    EU and Gay Rights are pretty universal (OK, maybe not EU).
    Foreign Policy is something which with you, I and a few others I had mapped out.
    Education, there is only one policy in similar, which was one that I put forward from my manifesto, for when I got elected internally.

The party is one which although it doesn't aim to, will fill lots of the gap that was left by the dissolution of the Central Party.
    Of course, I'm not suggesting you stole them or anything. I just thought it was worth pointing out
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Stand as an independent in the next by-election, or work with the Liberals. As the latter have no set positions on anything besides staying in Europe and "personal freedoms", they really would support all of these proposals as long as you suitably present them in the fluffy vernacular of liberalism - plenty of meaningless buzzterms like 'social responsibility', 'national interest', so on and so forth. If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faland)
    If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
    Are you condoning playing whack a mole with Liberal MPs?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.