Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Swollen glands and abdominal pain, worried! Watch

A few days ago I noticed that one of my glands was swollen on my neck. This seemed unexpected so I went to the doctors. He told me that it was likely to be connected to my dermatitis on my neck and head, and that this swollen gland was my body's response. He said not to worry and to come back in 2 weeks if the lump is still there. However, since then I haven't been able to stop worrying. I've been scaring myself silly reading about my symtoms on the internet, convincing myself I have this type of cancer called Hodgkin's lymphoma - as I fit the symtoms of a hard, painless lump and abdominal pain. I mentioned the abdominal pain to the doctor because I thought it was to do with me recovering from cystitis about a week ago. He said to do a urine test and see. I suffer from anxiety anyway, but this is making it worse. I can't stop thinking about it and I don't know what to do. I know there's nothing I can do in these two weeks, but I just have a feeling it won't go down and would much rather they performed all the tests now. My friends and family keep telling me that if it was something serious, he would have realised and done the tests then and there, but I'm not sure. I think the abdominal pain could be due to the implant I had recently inserted as I'm also getting headaches, another side effect.
    I guess I'm just looking for reassurance or rationality, or just some sort of comment. I felt like I had to share this.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Dont try to self diagnose, some of the worst diseases in the world share symptoms with ones that are simple.

A Doctor has spent the best part of training for 10 years or more to be able to diagnose symptoms and treat patients, have some faith in their abilities.

(Original post by Dumachi)
    Dont try to self diagnose, some of the worst diseases in the world share symptoms with ones that are simple.

A Doctor has spent the best part of training for 10 years or more to be able to diagnose symptoms and treat patients, have some faith in their abilities.
    Ah I do - I guess as he told me not to worry then I shouldn't be!

From my experience its been my glands, and have attributed it to stress, and the abdominal pains could be a reaction to this.
    Not to alarm you, but have the doctor look at Glandular Fever, as it can be linked to all the glands swelling in your body which happened to me, and to me don't look up all the symptoms, just talk to the GP or even NHS Direct. Take an antihistamine for the immediate care at home which might help calm the glands down.
    Stay hydrated too, as it can help to keep the body cool at a time like this if its working extra hard to fight potentially the infection of the glands swelling and the pains could be dehydration.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2014
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.