Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Desktop and Two Monitors. Any recommendations? Budget £500 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks. Just as the title says really, I'm after a decent desktop which will support two 1080P 21" monitors. It does not have to be a screaming beast of a computer, but I do want it to last for at least the next three years. The reason I need to get two monitors for it, is for next year when I start doing some serious coding. If anyone has got any recommendations and\or links, I would appreciate it. I will be buying this computer on 28th April.

ReputationRep:
    What are you going to be coding?

Also, does the £500 include the 2 monitors, or just the desktop?

A little more incite would make it easier to suggest a build.

ReputationRep:
    The two monitors will be included in the price. I will be coding in SQL, C++, C and Java.

ReputationRep:
    I recommend you up your budget by at least an 100 just to compensate for the secondary monitor.

ReputationRep:
    You're looking at getting a build for around 300 quid, doubt that's going to be enough unless you already have some parts such as GPU.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorted folks, thanks for your input. Bought a Intel i5 desktop, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD with two 22" Full HD monitors. Managed to get it for £540.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CelticSymphony67)
    Sorted folks, thanks for your input. Bought a Intel i5 desktop, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD with two 22" Full HD monitors. Managed to get it for £540.
    Wow, really?

Mind PMing me the sites you used / links to the specific parts?

How much more was it for an i7-k?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    All you need is a motherboard, case and peripherals then you've got yourself a PC.

ReputationRep:
    Ha it got a graphics card?

Most inbuilt graphics only support one display out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)

Doubt it, 540 for full build with 2 monitors...hm

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

tbh, could probably get away with a dirt cheap shouldn't ever be touched graphics card since it seems like it will never be under much load

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VexedM8)
    Wow, really?

Mind PMing me the sites you used / links to the specific parts?

How much more was it for an i7-k?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Asus_...FSOWtAodtwgAeQ

For the computer itself and

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/deskto...01709-pdt.html

For the two monitors. In total is came to £540 approx.

ReputationRep:
    How about this system instead folks?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00H..._dsc_computers

ReputationRep:
    Eh no.

Even Intel HD2000 upwards can support multi display, it is merely down to how many display connectors the OEM include on the motherboard.

Edit: More to the point http://3xs.scan.co.uk/configurator/v...-office-pc-v1i Go to the Graphics card section. Clearly states "All systems include onboard graphics and will drive two monitors as standard"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainvg)
    Eh no.

Even Intel HD2000 upwards can support multi display, it is merely down to how many display connectors the OEM include on the motherboard.

Edit: More to the point http://3xs.scan.co.uk/configurator/v...-office-pc-v1i Go to the Graphics card section. Clearly states "All systems include onboard graphics and will drive two monitors as standard"
    Yeah usually it's only one port.

More common to see VGA and HDMI included though now

ReputationRep:

Now it is more common for more than one port. The Z87-HD3, a sub £80 mobo has a VGA, a DVI and a HDMI

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simpletech668)
    Now it is more common for more than one port. The Z87-HD3, a sub £80 mobo has a VGA, a DVI and a HDMI

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Even with only one or no ports on mobo could OP not get away with a low spec gpu for say something like £30-50 for display output anyway.
    For OP's purpose are the main expenses not going to be on a half decent cpu, the monitors and the OS unless using Linux anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

It has rarely been less than 2 ports for at least a few years now, hell I bought a motherboard for a batch of AM2 1600+ Athlon's, 5 years ago that cost £17 and it had 2 ports.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Even with only one or no ports on mobo could OP not get away with a low spec gpu for say something like £30-50 for display output anyway.
    For OP's purpose are the main expenses not going to be on a half decent cpu, the monitors and the OS unless using Linux anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes that's true, I was trying to inform the person about mobo's!

Especially for programming, you'll probably want a decent CPU, probably a 4th gen i5, and at least 6-8GB RAM. I opened a thread about getting a computer for a computer science student and these specs seemed to occur more often and was common re-occurence!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainvg)
    It has rarely been less than 2 ports for at least a few years now, hell I bought a motherboard for a batch of AM2 1600+ Athlon's, 5 years ago that cost £17 and it had 2 ports.
    £17!! Hahaha! If only mobo's cost that much now!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.