The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone have a copy of the paper so we can cry over the questions we got wrong? :bawling:

And that QR code is probably a secret message by the exam writer if we scan it. :s-smilie:
Aha yeah, would love to scan that QR code and see what it says. It is most likely a massive **** you to everyone who sat the exam!
Original post by Adam971
My physics teacher told me that teachers all over the country, including grammar schools, have been complaining to OCR about this paper because everyone is pissed off about how hard it was. The question on materials was hardly even related to the specification. But the most significant problem with this paper is the amount of work you had to do in 1 hour, and very few people completed it. The grade boundaries should be very low, about 50-60% for an A grade because every year, the same percentage of candidates need to get a certain grade. The paper was inaccessible to most high grade candidates so the grade boundaries will come right down.

have teachers really been complaining to OCR? o.O i completed the paper so hopefully will have enough marks, but i wasn't able to check my answers and i wanted to change one but didn't get the chance
wood densities.JPG
Reply 484
Original post by Mutleybm1996
have teachers really been complaining to OCR? o.O i completed the paper so hopefully will have enough marks, but i wasn't able to check my answers and i wanted to change one but didn't get the chance

Apparently yes. There are a lot of angry teachers emailing each other about how ridiculous the paper was and OCR have received a number of complaints. I can't wait to see the examiners' report for this paper, they have some explaining to do. This is a complete and utter fiasco.
Bet that QR code leads to the Ostrich Appreciation Society webpage.
Original post by Adam971
Apparently yes. There are a lot of angry teachers emailing each other about how ridiculous the paper was and OCR have received a number of complaints. I can't wait to see the examiners' report for this paper, they have some explaining to do. This is a complete and utter fiasco.

what can OCR do? apologise? that's not going to up people's marks and they are only going to do what they would need to do anyway and that was lower the boundaries so there's no point complaining as they can't do anything, they can't even issue a replacement paper for us to do instead as it would be too short notice.
Original post by Rizi0808
Thank you very much! Good luck! (Thought surely u don't need it.) u mean the (z-w) one? Yeah I panicked but figured it out later- I checked on forum- everyone got stuck on it so don't worry. If u got the diagram but not the last bit, I heard u only loose 3 marks ish as most marks are for argand diagram.

My mistake was copying out the equation wrong from the question onto the page before I substituted new 3alpha+1, beta, gamma roots in. All co-efficients were wrong so that's like 5 marks. Hahah maths why are you so easy to even loose marks on gaaah I can't... Literally you lose concentration for a second and loose 100 ums...

And then physics happens.

Are u taking c2, s1, c3, s2 and m1?

I have a feeling you are taking OCR MEI, no? I am just normal OCR, because I don't remember any question like that.

Nope, C1-2 and S1 for core maths, FP1 D1 D2 for further maths.

I presume you're doing that ^, what you just said to me. The physics paper was a joke! Went through it with my teacher to confirm and we think I'm in the region 50-54/60 :/, not good.
Reply 488
what can OCR do? apologise? that's not going to up people's marks and they are only going to do what they would need to do anyway and that was lower the boundaries so there's no point complaining as they can't do anything, they can't even issue a replacement paper for us to do instead as it would be too short notice.

Yes they should apologise, not because it was hard but because there were so many questions not on the syllabus and the lack of time. They couldn't do a replacement paper because it wouldn't be fair on the people who did well in this exam. The grade boundaries will be very low so a certain percentage of candidates get a certain grade. But the paper itself was inaccessible to most people.
50-54/60!!! You have no problem mate. 100% ums will be way lower than 50/60 for that paper.
Original post by Carla Huynh
50-54/60!!! You have no problem mate. 100% ums will be way lower than 50/60 for that paper.

Thats providing the questions I couldn't remember my answers were correct. If only I had known the density of water/wood and real life applications of graphene! Plus, I'm not 100% if they'll accept my reason of the three squares in the corner so that the camera can clearly see the edge of the QR code and that the QR code has the advantage over the barcode due to how many more alternatives there are. Only time will tell.

But, I hope so mate, I really do.
Original post by Ronabean
So I had to do this exam straight after a 2.5 hour German exam. This was THE WORST EXAM EVER. I got home and cried for 2 hours solid. I go to a Grammar school and I'm always the worst in my class even though I try hard.... what even was that code question?! I didn't answer any of it. I hope something is done about this because I just don't think that exam was a fair test of anything we have had to learn. I REVISED WHAT WAS ON THE SPECIFICATION NOT HOW MUCH WATER DROPS AND WOOD WEIGHS. Boo.

Do you do German on AQA as I too had the German exam yesterday and also was distraught after that paper - failed to even get half way in the physics due to time constraints - worst exam I've ever done PERIOD.
Original post by HennersPD
Do you do German on AQA as I too had the German exam yesterday and also was distraught after that paper - failed to even get half way in the physics due to time constraints - worst exam I've ever done PERIOD.

The German paper yesterday on AQA was 2 hours. I'm assuming that they did Edexcel perhaps :smile:

Did you do AQA? How did you find it?
Original post by lilypear
The German paper yesterday on AQA was 2 hours. I'm assuming that they did Edexcel perhaps :smile:

Did you do AQA? How did you find it?

Yeah I did AQA GERMAN ! Thought it was mostly alright except the cloze test - lots of possible mistakes to be made and the essay questions were quite vague and difficult in my view. What about you? :smile:

I was with my teacher today, and I asked if I could stay and listen to a phone call he made to OCR. He absolutely ripped the **** into them - but in a polite way!!! He's been teaching for 37 years and said that this paper was totally unacceptable and was one of the hardest AS-level papers he's seen!
Original post by frank12365
I was with my teacher today, and I asked if I could stay and listen to a phone call he made to OCR. He absolutely ripped the **** into them - but in a polite way!!! He's been teaching for 37 years and said that this paper was totally unacceptable and was one of the hardest AS-level papers he's seen!

What was said?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DomStaff
Thats providing the questions I couldn't remember my answers were correct. If only I had known the density of water/wood and real life applications of graphene! Plus, I'm not 100% if they'll accept my reason of the three squares in the corner so that the camera can clearly see the edge of the QR code and that the QR code has the advantage over the barcode due to how many more alternatives there are. Only time will tell.

But, I hope so mate, I really do.

Density of wood was 1 right? As m-3 was for kg and the density of most wood is 0.7~g/cm^3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HennersPD
Yeah I did AQA GERMAN ! Thought it was mostly alright except the cloze test - lots of possible mistakes to be made and the essay questions were quite vague and difficult in my view. What about you? :smile:

Yeah that question where it was talking about how children can be difficult to have some relaxation on holidays and filling in the gaps - completely guessed!
I kind of liked the essay question but I had to keep stopping myself from going off topic, I mean, like who the heck talks about whether or not we should learn how to make music in school?! God knows!
I made a bunch of mistakes too, I even wrote some words that didn't exist :P hehe
Density of wood was 1 right? As m-3 was for kg and the density of most wood is 0.7~g/cm^3

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put 1 too but no the answer was 10^3.
Did you manage to finish G491?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, was talking to the person comparing it to the C3 paper last year. The paper last year had only A grade questions, whereas this paper just had to many and too obscure questions for the hour.

Latest

Trending

Trending