Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Working holidays - Canada or New Zealand? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I would like to take part in the working holiday visa programme next year after I graduate uni.

However, I am not quite sure where to go. Could anyone please share their experiences working in Canada or New Zealand?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I spent 3 months working in Canada (for free but had free accommodation). I spent a total of £2400 to feed myself and pay for trips out, gifts, a road trip, and a ton of stuff on the road trip).

I went to the Yukon - and everyone agrees that the Yukon is not Canada and it is not Alaska... it's inbetween the two because it gets so much business from Alaska and British Columbia.

Yukon:

Food: Very expensive. 'The Canadian Superstore' in Whitehorse has fresh fruit and veg, and is basically like Morrisons. 'Walmart' doesn't sell fresh foods and is kinda like Asda, but has a great selection for vegetarian food (if that is relevant). Also, randomly, Nutella tastes better over there - Why, I have NO CLUE. But I was addicted to the stuff over there...the taste was stronger lol.
    Accommodation: I got it free because of my work place. My Director is also apart of Couchsurfing.org so there are still free couches/beds to stay in Whitehorse and other towns.
    Transport: Gas is not cheap, despite what you'd expect. But it isn't insanely expensive. It's kinda typical for what you'd expect. The airport is good and simple, and very pretty.
    Wildlife: Bears are not uncommon to see when on the highway. Traffic would hault and black bears would be like "yeah *****es, honk all you want, I'm still gonna take my time and walk over here.".... This totally happened and a cyclist freaked out, dropped his bike, and ran back down the hill. The bears didn't care one bit, haha. SALMON IS AMAZING HERE. Tastes so bloody good! Saw Elk, Moose, etc. Lots of Eagles.
    If you're able to, I thoroughly recommend going on The Klondike Loop. Brilliant.
    Other: Mid to late September I saw the Northern Lights. I hope you do too. Oh, and Autumn hit mid August.

If you want anymore info, PM me or quote me and I'll answer anymore questions you have.

New Zealand is definitely an option if you want to work with sheep, on the land, or work in a bar and hop across in. It's one of those places that, if you worked there, you'd HAVE to find time to go to Australia and Fiji. It's just the thing that everyone does lol.
    Another thing to consider, New Zealand have an age limit for working visas. So keep that in your thoughts.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.