Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now
    • Thread Starter

    I live in a very rural area, and haven't got the money to pay for driving lessons. For a number of reasons, I can't live at home for most of the vac.
    However, it seems to be very difficult to find legitimate reasons for being allowed to stay in college, and very difficult to find a potential job (particularly since I have hardly any experience). Does anyone have any ideas?

    Hmm try perhaps the summer schools - though they may have finished recruiting. Not the UNIQ or Oxford run ones, but the commercial ones who use college accommodation and facilities. They tend to attract US high school kids paying tons of money. I have friends who helped out at them (not necessarily teaching - escorting kids on trips, helping out etc in exchange for accommodation and payment). Though that probably won't fill the whole vac. Just Google summer camp/school Oxford to get company names.

    Check the Careers Network for any Oxford based internships/ summer jobs - there usually are some on there. They tend to be looking for students, so not so demanding on lots of experience.

    Accommodation wise - perhaps try to sublet a room of someone living out but is not in Oxford over the summer. Grad students or undergrads who are going home (most student lets are still 12 months)

    I think lots of colleges are reluctant to let students stay over the long vac (as they tend to use rooms for tourism, conferences, and undertake general maintenance), but as you have reasons why you can't go home maybe approach college (perhaps through the welfare team) and see if anything can be done. They might be able to make an exception.

    If I was in your position, I would be looking for a summer job / internship anywhere, not just Oxford. There's almost always rooms to rent in any location. Not ideal, but if it's better than home perhaps it's something. I think there are recruitment websites dedicated to summer jobs for students - holiday camps and other tourism jobs may even come with accommodation.

    But really explore the Careers Network - there are SO many jobs on there, I'm sure something might appeal. You can search by location, as well as job type. Or just trawl through everything!

Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.