Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, im a 14 year old boy (i know this is really early but still), ive done my gcse choices, and am considering what to do for sixth form and uni. Basically im a strong mathematician and able in science, with a strong interest in business and economics too. Its early i know but im struggling to choose which path to take, there are 3 which come to mind:

1) an economics degree- hopefully in lse, like the look of it (slightly worried by social life but i think ill be able to find some). Investment banking is staring at my face but idk how much ill enjoy it, seems fun and i like stocks and financial markets, also good at maths but some of it looks really intense!

2) engineering, dont know much but also seems interesting, would want to know more, what are the career options, i enjoy sciences and maths and seem to think this is a good option-

3) medicine, also find medicine interesting, but once again, idk how it will be as an option for a career

Im about to do some work experience in barclays, and also have opportunities to find some in bank of america and other places. Can anyone help me with this? Any advice and knowledge would be appreciated, thanks a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozzabomb)
    Hi everyone, im a 14 year old boy (i know this is really early but still), ive done my gcse choices, and am considering what to do for sixth form and uni. Basically im a strong mathematician and able in science, with a strong interest in business and economics too. Its early i know but im struggling to choose which path to take, there are 3 which come to mind:

1) an economics degree- hopefully in lse, like the look of it (slightly worried by social life but i think ill be able to find some). Investment banking is staring at my face but idk how much ill enjoy it, seems fun and i like stocks and financial markets, also good at maths but some of it looks really intense!

2) engineering, dont know much but also seems interesting, would want to know more, what are the career options, i enjoy sciences and maths and seem to think this is a good option-

3) medicine, also find medicine interesting, but once again, idk how it will be as an option for a career

Im about to do some work experience in barclays, and also have opportunities to find some in bank of america and other places. Can anyone help me with this? Any advice and knowledge would be appreciated, thanks a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You will find it irony when you compare your gcse ability to a-levels. I kind of find it hard to believe and surprised of how you knew you strengths so early (not being being sarcastic but absolute seriousness). Either way, its good you are having work experience at this stage to give flavor of different career routes (as most of them would not look like as expected). A good option will be talking to people on those field and getting ideas of those career routes.

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah i guess, ill keep my eyes open ill be on the look for people to talk to

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd say just choose to study what you find interesting. Don't pick something now and then become blind to all your other options. I'm 7 years older than you. In my 3rd year at uni and still unsure what I want to study or do with my life. I thought I knew when I was your age and it's changed so many times since then. The reality is never like the dream. Work experience is good but purely to help you choose what you want - don't stress about it. Very few courses (medicine, vet med and maybe a couple others) expect you to have done any work experience before uni.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i see your point, think i might be getting ahead of myself but im so excited to start everything! Ill keep my options open but all of those interest me >.< hard thing for me is deciding between i think...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i see your point, think i might be getting ahead of myself but im so excited to start everything! Ill keep my options open but all of those interest me >.< hard thing for me is deciding between i think...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You genuinely don't need to decide at your age. Just pick options that seem interesting to you. You can always take qualifications when your older if you find you need something for what you want to do and you've not done it.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks, so do you think if im still undecided by the end of my gcse's its okay? Just panicking im running out of time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks, so do you think if im still undecided by the end of my gcse's its okay? Just panicking im running out of time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Dude, I've spent three years at uni and I still have no idea what I want to do. Chill, there's no rush.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I only chose my degree subject about a month before I sent my UCAS in, and I was still chopping and changing my mind about career paths until the summer before final year of uni. I'm final year now, and a lot of my friends say that they still don't know what they want to do, even though our degrees finish in about a month.

Tbf, most people who say they know what they want to do with their lives at 14 change their minds completely, either once they've spent more time on certain subjects, or had a job and realised that money isn't everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Alrighty, seem like a total idiot now, thanks though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Alrighty, seem like a total idiot now, thanks though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Honestly, don't!

I think we all feel the same pressures at your age (I know I did) - it's completely normal, even if it is unnecessary!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha thanks, thanks for your help guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you prefer hot dogs or burgers?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.